Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Whindshield parallel to forks? (Read 111 times)
alcoa

never let the
bastards wear you
down

Whindshield parallel to forks?
09/15/08 at 12:26:25

or do you just keep moving it till you like the ride? Wink

most problems are caused by the loose nut that conects the handelbars to the seat
  IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Whindshield parallel to forks?
Reply #1 - 09/15/08 at 12:42:56

I did start with mine more vertical and it blocked the wind better than parallel to the forks.  I prefer the parallel look though.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 09/15/08 at 12:56:53

I think when it parallel to the forks it seems to me to hold the front end down a little better,The wind pressure pushes down.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 09/15/08 at 12:59:20

Looks are one thing, but having the air go over your head is what it's suppose to do.    Or maybe I should  say the air shouldn't hit you in the face.  

On my W.S. (old Slipstreamer cira mid 80's) it is more vertical and the air stream is just touching the, top of my helmet.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #4 - 09/15/08 at 15:19:15

Depending on the size of your shield, a good starting point is to have the top of the windshield aligned with the base of your nose. That usually gives you a good view over the top to the road in front of you.  You should not be looking thru the shield like in a car.

Make sure the front of the shield is square with the headlight. It is easy to have the left or right side a little cocked which will get more air one one side or the other. You want an even parallel flow around your shoulders.

Then it is a good idea to start at the rake angle of the forks and tip it forward or aft so that the wind goes over your head at max cruising speed without a lot of buffeting. The rake angle is a good visual reference but it is by no means ideal. Depending on how tall you are and how far forward or aft you sit, the angle will vary.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
savage2k
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/15/08 at 19:05:16

Interesting topic.

I played around with my windshield for a week before I found the sweet spot. I agree that parallel to the forks looks much better, but with my particular windshield (SLIP STREAMER SPITFIRE SPORT SHIELD)  , it directed the wind to my chest. I have it now at about 80 some odd degrees and the wind goes over my head.

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #6 - 09/15/08 at 20:59:59

With the top level with my nose, and the windshield parallel with the forks; it hit me in the neck and bounced my head like a bobble doll. It's more vertical now. Don't care for the esthetics as much, but it's supposed to be function over form.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #7 - 09/16/08 at 02:53:33

I got thinking about this a little more and it occurred to me that perhaps there might be some easier ways to dial this in. I've never tried it, so I'm just brainstorming...

For example, find a way to slip some little streamer tails onto the edges of the shield. The same idea is used to trim sails on sailboats.  Might give a nice visual indication of airflow, both above and alongside the shield.   Simple little pieces of yarn might do it. (Of course the guy on the Harley behind you might wonder why you're throwing pieces of yarn at him., but he's probably see worse at Sturgis.  Tongue)

Another rough setup idea might be to have someone hold a yardstick at the angle of the top of the shield while the rider sits in position. Then you can angle it back until the other end of the yardstick is at least a few inches above the riders helmet.  

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #8 - 09/16/08 at 02:58:25

EssForty wrote on 09/16/08 at 02:53:33:

For example, find a way to slip some little streamer tails onto the edges of the shield. The same idea is used to trim sails on sailboats.  Might give a nice visual indication of airflow, both above and alongside the shield.   Simple little pieces of yarn might do it. (Of course the guy on the Harley behind you might wonder why you're throwing pieces of yarn at him., but he's probably see worse at Sturgis.  Tongue)

Hmmmm...  I actually like this idea.   I will need to get my SB goodie box out and tape some telltails on just to see the flow pattern.    

NOTE: old "cassette tape" tape works good too.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #9 - 09/17/08 at 20:06:49

Just dont get so caught up in watching the yarn or tape that you forget to look at the road. Especially at the speeds you'll need to travel to get an accurate picture of what works for you. At lowspeed, I didn't mind the wind too much; but as I appraoched highway speeds, my "sweetspot" for deflection from the windshield was altered ever so slightly. My adjustments were done by "feel", without my having to look at the windshield, or otherwise take my eyes off the road, to get the "bubble" for my head just right. It did mean a lot of start and stop riding, and pulling over on the highway; but the end result was worth it.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:09:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Whindshield parallel to forks?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.