Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Regarding Tailights in CA (Read 141 times)
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Regarding Tailights in CA
09/15/08 at 12:10:17

I have a question for California riders-

I've been given an LED bicycle light that clips on and it has multiple modes- constant on, flashing, or scanning back and forth.  Is it illegal to run it on anything but regular ON ala a taillight modifier?

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Regarding Tailights in CA
Reply #1 - 09/15/08 at 14:10:36

California Vehicle Code:
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/calawquery?codesection=veh&codebody=&hits=20

24003.  No vehicle shall be equipped with any lamp or illuminating
device not required or permitted in this code

24600.  During darkness every motor vehicle which is not in
combination with any other vehicle and every vehicle at the end of a
combination of vehicles shall be equipped with lighted taillamps
mounted on the rear as follows:
  (a) Every vehicle shall be equipped with one or more taillamps.

(e) Taillamps shall be red in color and shall be plainly visible
from all distances within 500 feet to the rear except that taillamps
on vehicles manufactured after January 1, 1969, shall be plainly
visible from all distances within 1,000 feet to the rear.
  (f) Taillamps on vehicles manufactured on or after January 1,
1969, shall be mounted not lower than 15 inches nor higher than 72
inches

I would say it's permissable, you are allowed more than one, as long as it is red and visible at 1000 feet.

Not to mention that any ticket would be an equipment violation and thus a fix-it (no charge!) ticket.

I would hope that any LEO would give you an attaboy for trying to be more visible, even if they declared it not legal.

WWW   IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #2 - 09/15/08 at 15:17:43

thanks!

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #3 - 09/16/08 at 04:30:52

I'm sorry but I do not understand...

Provided I do not live in CA (so why should I worry?) the law mentions "taillamps" but this means the entire "light source+reflector+lens" assembly, it does not mention that "light bulbs must be of the incandescent filament type, LEDs being illegal"

Huh

(message edited to correct a mistype)

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #4 - 09/16/08 at 07:17:29

The U.S. is a fun place to live.  When a vehicle is transported across state lines the federal government claims jurisdiction under the Interstate Commerce Clause -- the Federal Department of Transportation sets the standards.  In addition, the States can set other standards, hence the infamous 49-state vehicles such as the Indian produced Royal Enfield which is not legal to sell new in California.

Once sold, each state has it's own list of equipment requirements.  When I broke my right mirror mount I was good to go on my trip from California through Arizona, New Mexico and Texas; but Oklahoma legally requires left and right mirrors on a motorcycle.

Since selling involves interstate commerce, when it comes to buying lights, mufflers, etc., they have to meet DOT standards to be advertised/sold for on-road vehicles.  Once you have purchased it and mounted it on your bike you only have to meet the State standards.  For lights, in California, the requirement is color and a minimal brightness.

Then there is enforcement.  While there are sound limits on how loud a vehicle can be, they are generally not enforced.  Added lights may or may not be legal, and whether or not they actually are legal you can still be cited -- at which point you can get a second or third opinion (second from the CHP office, third from a judge, and even fourth and fifth opinions if you wish to appeal the judge's decision.)

And now you know why we generally run around doing whatever we pleased.

WWW   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #5 - 09/19/08 at 03:39:17

And I thought the European Union was a complicated place to live in !!!  Roll Eyes

So, if you, as a California resident, drive your CA-legal Savage with only one mirror through the US, OK can fine you for having only one mirror ?  Embarrassed

In the EU, what's legal at home must be accepted anywhere you're just driving across...  Cool So we all meet each other's minimum requirements.  Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #6 - 09/19/08 at 06:31:24

mpescatori wrote on 09/19/08 at 03:39:17:
And I thought the European Union was a complicated place to live in !!!  Roll Eyes

So, if you, as a California resident, drive your CA-legal Savage with only one mirror through the US, OK can fine you for having only one mirror ?  Embarrassed

Europeans are civilized.   Motorcycle equipment requirements vary from State to State, within States according to the age of the rider and/or motorcycle, and even with riding conditions.  In Oregon turn signals are not required on pre 1973 motorcycles unless there is limited visibility.  http://www.abatewis.org/docs/msfstates2007.pdf

WWW   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #7 - 09/19/08 at 07:16:58

in washington  signals are not required on any m/c, you are just required to signal.  ie. hand.   but two mirrors are required.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 09/19/08 at 07:53:56

Signals should be required,What about night and twilight time arm signals are pretty hard to see,For your on safety you should have signals.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #9 - 09/19/08 at 10:01:05

Those drivers that notice and understand turn signals also pick up on other clues such as deceleration and a shift in lane position and know your intention to turn even without the signal.  Given the widespread misuse of turn signals, these drivers rely more on what you are actually doing rather than any signal which may or may not mean anything.

The oblivious idiots that will try to plow through the space occupied by your motorcycle and body will not notice and/or not heed and/or have no idea of what the blinking light means and will attempt to plow through the space occupied by your motorcycle and body regardless of any signals you use, upto and including the waving of a sawed off shotgun.

Signals are either not needed, or ignored.  The law is an attempt to make people drive safely; but like most laws it fails miserably.

And then there is the guy who, when you signal for a lane change, intentionally cuts you off.  

Once on Supulveda I signaled for a lane change, the idiot sped up to cut me off, I missed my turn and canceled my signal.  The CHP behind us light up the idiot.  Sometimes you get to see justice in action.

Another time, in the LTD pulling my camping trailer, I burst a heater hose.  Bellowing steam I signaled to pull right.  Another of the idiots sped up to cut me off.  I pulled over anyhow and he ended up on the shoulder -- I was 7,000 pounds and I didn't care.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #10 - 09/19/08 at 11:11:51

We could save so money if they didn't put them and cars and motorcycles,but then putting out you arm at 65mph is fun to do.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 08:24:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Regarding Tailights in CA

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.