Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Getting ready to go Darkside......... (Read 246 times)
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Getting ready to go Darkside.........
09/14/08 at 05:41:26

OF...where is the best pace to get a tire that will fit WITHOUT stretching the rear forks?  such as what size tire am I looking for?

Because I can!
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Getting ready to go Darkside.........
Reply #1 - 09/14/08 at 07:42:44

Darkside, as in a cage tire?

http://store.coker.com/prod/135r15-firestone-f560-blackwall-tire.html
$85 plus shipping, but it's specs are 3.5% (about 1/3") smaller in diameter and the same width as the stock IRC.

Next size up, http://store.coker.com/prod/145r15-firestone-f560-blackwall-tire.html is spec'ed to .11" the same as my 140/80-15 Metzeler.

The 5.00 - 5.60 x 15 tire used to be common and cheap.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 09/14/08 at 07:59:52

I've punched search on my remote control but it seems that we don't get the "car tire on the motorcycle" channel any more.  

Durn, the one I liked the best was the one that blew up on that comic relief character in the season finale (just last week it seems like).

Shocked

OldTVwatcherfeller

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #3 - 09/14/08 at 08:13:35

oh come on OF, you're in the biz....I'm just tired of paying good dollars and havin' to replace my rear tire after 7-10k

I wanna tire that will last...like yours!  :'( :'( Grin

Because I can!
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #4 - 09/14/08 at 08:32:34

Coker also offers a 125r15 that would probably fir our narrow 2.75" rim even better.

They also have a 3.25-19 that will probably fit the front.  As light as we are they should last about 80,000 miles.  No traction to speak of, but as long as you realize this and ride accordingly it should be no problem.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 09/14/08 at 10:46:29

When you do go darkside, I'd reccomend getting extension for filling the tire popping the bead the 1st time.  My brother bought a RV, in it was a spare tire inflation check hose so you didn't need to crawl under and check it all the time.

Also I'd look in to a better lube.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 09/14/08 at 13:02:25

LOL!...monkeys huh?...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #7 - 09/14/08 at 22:14:01

I put the B. F. Goodrich 155/15 TA on the back of mine a little over a week ago. I have taller shocks so I didn't have to do bolt head modifications to get clearance. I'm not sure it would have been needed anyway. The tire grips the road, brakes like a mutha and once I get some black tire paint I won't be so embarrassed by the white letters only being on one side.

I did the job with no special tools other than a big wooden wood worker's clamp to break the bead, two long flat blade screw drivers, a car brake adjustment tool AND a gallon or so of dish soap rich water. Now that I think of it, hot soapy water might be a better idea. Really hot might soften the rubber AND help it stretch just a little bit. The wooden clamp isn't my favorite way to do it, but now that I've seen the 8' pry-bar approach, that's probably the way I'll go in four or five years when I have to change it again. Or a large screw "C" clamp that I cut the turning handle off of so I can use my cordless drill to turn the screw faster.

I've had some strange things happen over the years, but the exploding tire trick has me a bit doubtful on what really happened. Almost doesn't seem possible with the technology and over-kill that goes into tire manufacturing. When you stop to think about what tires are designed to put up with. If you're faint of heart I wouldn't even think about what stresses are place on those four little rubber do-nuts that keep you on the road in turns, don't slip during rapid speeding up and slowing down and sliding sideways on those MN winter roads.

If you look at the punishment that tires put up with and how we never think about them, it then follows that it's no wonder that the first fella to see a chicken lay an egg and still wanted to eat one might have been the same one who thought it was a good idea to raid bee hives for honey. Or, perish the the very idea, thought chittlin's were a good idea. And don't even get me going on grits.

Jack

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 09/15/08 at 03:09:50

Whoa now, I gotta come to the defense of grits.  Grits, compared to what?  Oatmeal?  Cream of wheat?  If you gotta eat hot cereal in the morning, al dente grits at least has texture to it (instead of endless mindless glop like other hot cereals).  Southern grits are flavored with bacon drippins, so they have great taste as well as texture.  Just don't cook it to death, 3 minutes is plenty of boil time.

PS, I did write an earlier reply that was way way way too sarcastic, so I killed it.  It involved young male Borneo monkeys and bikini clad Muscle Car Magazine helper girls, so you get the drift.

I think the boy did blow up his tire.  He used spray adhesive and time to make himself a hard-core classic "hung bead" scenario then he backed it up with 125-175 air pressure after DRIVING on the tire to get there no less.  Arguably he had some propellant gases in the mix too.

He blew it up.  Believe it.  I do ....

Toymaker will do better, but this is not a trick that anyone should be showing to for example Just Learning for example.

B. F. Goodrich 155/15 TA is what I would pick for my next bike conversion (Yamaha XV535).  Lowest cost, best results when mounted (ask Jack_650 for details).  It has specially reinforced "G" wedge sidewalls according to the mgf. so it ought to be a wee mite safer than some might be.

Hmmmmm .....

(or does that "G" really stand for grenade ????   Dual grenade wedgie sidewalls -- weeee !!  Two shaped charges equipped with rubber shrapnel providing for good "deniability" no less ....  And that thing with the twist off rubber cap, why that's really the 30 second fuse, not an air valve which is what it looks like -- it's all disguised for covert black ops, you see.  Designed to take out terrorist cell motor pools in third world countries, don't 'cha know it.)   Huh

« Last Edit: 09/15/08 at 19:33:06 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #9 - 09/15/08 at 08:52:11

Well oldie, my formative years were spent as a barefoot lad running through the red clay mud puddles of northern Georgia. I still have sisters in the Hickory/Gastonia areas of NC and am a huge fan of bar-b-que (the noun-not the verb). Grits however . . . Any food that you have to augment as much as you do grits just to get flavor is, well . . . not got much going for it. Fried okra sure, red-eye gravy without a doubt. Even collards with bacon or fat back is hard to deny, but grits never did much for me. Even with apple butter liberally mixed in grits is still - grits. Now, perhaps uncooked grits could be substituted for those little ceramic balls for balancing our tires from the inside. Or as an anti slip agent in our oil bath clutches.

Speaking of tire balancing, did someone on here say BB's in the tire/tube would work as well as those expensive ceramic balls for the job? I've read good reviews on the product, but in my constant endeavors to cut overhead costs (so I don't have to work as much) I'm always looking for less costly alternatives for any project or commodity. How much/many are needed? Where do you find funnels that small? Inquiring minds want to know.

Jack

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 09/15/08 at 13:59:40

If you are going to put a fluid like substance into your tire to try to balance it (rather than attaching lead weights like was done originally by us primative non-latin Americans) why not try some Tire Goop or other semi-liquid leak fixer -  just let it ooze around endlessly in the tube waiting for a nail to fix up or some other sort of leak causing item to coat upon insertion.

(you can tell I am not a fan of using them little ceramic balls -- alias bead blast media for those who buy it in 50 pound sacks for pennies a pound)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #11 - 09/15/08 at 16:21:13

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 09/15/08 at 13:59:40:
....(you can tell I am not a fan of using them little ceramic balls -- alias bead blast media for those who buy it in 50 pound sacks for pennies a pound)
IF these beads were as good as they claim THEN every tire store would be using them instead of lead weights.
I have never seen any tire store do anything other than balance a wheel using weights.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 11:08:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Getting ready to go Darkside.........

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.