Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Latest Mod: Instrument Panel for S40 (Read 355 times)
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Latest Mod: Instrument Panel for S40
09/13/08 at 11:28:08

Just thought I'd share my latest project.   I cobbled together a number of ideas into an instrument panel that gives me plenty of information without having to take my eyes of the road. Here's the laundry list of everything  I've got jammed into a 7x5x3 enclosure:

-Digital Speedometer & Trip Odometer (Sigma 1106 Mod )
-Digital Tach & Engine Hour meter (ENM mod)
-Voltage Gauge (From my old boat)
-Oil Pressure Gage (0-40 Psi also from old boat)
-Idiot Lights for turn signal
-Power Accessory Socket for GPS
-Motion sensor/anti-theft device (Not detailed for obvious reasons)

Here's a picture of the current setup. I drove around with it today and everything checks out fine. Just have a few final tweaks to square up the gauges, make sure the oil lines do not leak, etc. I may add another light for the neutral indicator. I'm also thinking of putting a Suzuki logo in the center , something like the little one on the triple tree.

Anyhow, just thought I'd post this in case anyone finds it interesting. I like knowing my battery is charging, oil pressure is normal, my speed is on target and that I'm not driving down the road with my turn signal flashing for a few miles.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Latest Mod: Instrument Panel for S40
Reply #1 - 09/13/08 at 13:06:47

What? No fuel gauge?

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Reply #2 - 09/13/08 at 14:17:15

What does it look like from the front?

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
Tincanman
Serious Thumper

O~`o

Omaha, NE
Reply #3 - 09/13/08 at 14:52:07

Are we gona ride? or just dic around all day?
  IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #4 - 09/13/08 at 15:40:45

I sure would hope so for $350!  Wink Looks like a nice plug and play solution, however I get a kick out of converting a pile of spare parts into something useful, even if it looks like Frankenstein  Smiley

I saw the Dakota dash unit, but it does not provide a tach, the oil indicator is only an idiot light for low pressure, no avg speed/max speed indicator, no voltage, just a check engine light.  And the power accessory socket lets me charge my cell phone or gps while I drive,

Being the frugal type, I laid out $28 for the Sigma, $25 for the Tach, $6 for the Radio shack enclosure, about $18 for the metric thread adapter, another $7 for the power accessory socket and $3 for the turn signal lights. By reusing some gauges from my old boat I kept the parts cost below $100.  

Anyway, it sure suits my purposes. As I use it more I'll probably think of other things I can make it do. I always find it more satisfying to do it myself, even if I spend more money when I include my own labor.  

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #5 - 09/13/08 at 15:51:24

Savage_Rob wrote on 09/13/08 at 13:06:47:
What? No fuel gauge?

Actually, I was looking at recycling an old marine fuel tank sending unit I have, but it would not work due to the dimensions. I have not given up on the idea, but with the trip odometer I'm good for now.  

IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #6 - 09/13/08 at 15:57:00

forrest wrote on 09/13/08 at 14:17:15:
What does it look like from the front?

It's fully enclosed and the wiring harness enters from the bottom. along with the oil line. It is protected by my windshield and entire enclosure will be sealed against water intrusion.

Here's the front view.

IP Logged
Eddy Thomas
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rocklin Ca.
Reply #7 - 09/13/08 at 16:58:24

Looks good to me....................

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #8 - 09/13/08 at 17:05:52

Very interesting, and impressive creativity, but I'll stick with my Vapor
Has many of the things you have, lacks some, has some others.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #9 - 09/13/08 at 18:06:22

I saw that Vapor one too. Much better price than the Dakota Digital and seems to integrate things in a nice coherent design package.  I think it would be the best overall solution for people looking for a tach/speedo combo plus the other features it provides.

My needs sorta grew as I read more of the clever ideas on this forum. I did the Sigma cycle computer mod, added the ENM tach, and then found instructions for adding an oil gauge. I also read about people running their batteries down and thought that I should redeploy my voltage gauge so I can see when it is charging. (There are some small LED based voltage gauges but they wanted about $35 for one, and I still thought free was a better price ).  I saw another thread about LED idiot lights. Then I thought I would add a power accessory socket and  figure out a way to build in some security features. Without a large enclosure my handlebars were going to get pretty busy real fast.

Fortunately, I stopped before adding a backup camera, DVD player, beer fridge and XM radio.  Cheesy

IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 09/13/08 at 18:17:12

Ess:  thanks for sharing your mod!  Very cool idea and very creative, I would like to try something with a chrome or aluminum look.  Hmmm, there's an idea bruing.   Huh

IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #11 - 09/14/08 at 04:47:53

Flcruzer:

I actually made my first prototype using a smaller aluminum enclosure.  I was able to put the Speedo, Tach, idiot lights  and Power accessory socket into a 3x5 box. When I decided to add the oil & voltage gauges I had to supersize my enclosure.  

The only downside to the aluminum box was reflected glare when riding with the sun high in the sky and behind me. Chrome would be like holding up a mirror. The flat black ABS works best.

Here's a pic of the original prototype in aluminum

IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #12 - 09/14/08 at 04:54:15

Here's a pic with the original prototype and my GPS unit.  

IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Reply #13 - 09/14/08 at 05:36:03

EssForty, don't take me wrong on this (I believe a biker should be able to do what the wants to his bike).  But I do find it ironic your are doing this but your quote under your avatar is "KISS Keep it Savage Simple.  Wink

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
doc5446

Into the night...

Randolph, Ohio
Reply #14 - 09/14/08 at 06:26:08

forrest wrote on 09/14/08 at 05:36:03:
EssForty, don't take me wrong on this (I believe a biker should be able to do what the wants to his bike).  But I do find it ironic your are doing this but your quote under your avatar is "KISS Keep it Savage Simple.  Wink

I was thinking exactly the same thing...

K&N air filter, stage 1 jet set, SuperTrapp megaphone exhaust, solo seat w/ clothespin springs, stainless seatpan w/ fenderbib.1971 CB front fender and mirror.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 09:59:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Latest Mod: Instrument Panel for S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.