Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
tip for getting a tire off the bead (Read 163 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
tip for getting a tire off the bead
09/12/08 at 17:25:13

Now that we know how to get a stubborn tire off in an unsafe manner (just fill it with 125 psi and it'll come right off in very small pieces)

Here's a tip from the BMW riders...

http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/beadbreaker.html

WWW   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Re: tip for getting a tire off the bead
Reply #1 - 09/12/08 at 19:19:36

Very interesting.  Turning that long board on edge and cutting a small bird's mouth where it crosses the upright board would double the strength of the pry board (to eliminate the cracking sounds) and keep the upright from slipping loose and breaking your leg.

Pressure treated lumber (at least in this neck of the woods) is all garbage like cottonwood.  Very soft and weak.  Spend your money on fir and larch, and I'll bet that widget will work like a charm.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #2 - 09/12/08 at 22:03:34

It's a play on the lever - one of man's basic tools, and so dammed ingenious, I'm gonna build one to use for the Savage!!!

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 09/12/08 at 22:32:06

Thats the biggest Rube Golberg bead breaker I can imagine. Mine didnt want to let go, so, Naturally,

Pull the Shrader valve
block the whole thing off the ground with a 2X4 under the middle & whatever it takes to put on the sides to keep it stable, I dont tremember what I used.
Another 2X4, Long enough to deal with the pressure needed, mine was 8 feet long.
a short piece of 4X4, across the tire, just as close to the rim as possible & not catch on it.
The rope is only wrapped around & tied, so you can play with it & get the space between boards when it starts pressing hard on the tire. Its like a BIGGO nutcracker, with a 4X4 across the main "cracker" handle.

If it's so tuffa nut to crack, then, yea, stand the boards on edge, the lower one will require braces nailed to it to keep all the rasslin from knocking it over. If the rope isnt real stout, go around a few times. I started with not enough slack & had to re-do the rope, allowing the board ends to be further apart when the 4X4 was starting to press hard on the tire. No car should be needed, IMO.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 09/12/08 at 23:09:53

This is all overly complicated.  Go to Harbor Freight and buy a large "C" clamp, one big enough to get around the tire's body easily.  Heck, buy two if you think you really need it.   I have never needed more than one.

A "C" clamp has more than enough mechanical strength to break any motorcycle bead loose.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 09/12/08 at 23:46:26

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/12/08 at 22:32:06:
Thats the biggest Rube Golberg bead breaker I can imagine. Mine didnt want to let go, so, Naturally,

Pull the Shrader valve
block the whole thing off the ground with a 2X4 under the middle & whatever it takes to put on the sides to keep it stable, I dont tremember what I used.
Another 2X4, Long enough to deal with the pressure needed, mine was 8 feet long.
a short piece of 4X4, across the tire, just as close to the rim as possible & not catch on it.
The rope is only wrapped around & tied, so you can play with it & get the space between boards when it starts pressing hard on the tire. Its like a BIGGO nutcracker, with a 4X4 across the main "cracker" handle.

If it's so tuffa nut to crack, then, yea, stand the boards on edge, the lower one will require braces nailed to it to keep all the rasslin from knocking it over. If the rope isnt real stout, go around a few times. I started with not enough slack & had to re-do the rope, allowing the board ends to be further apart when the 4X4 was starting to press hard on the tire. No car should be needed, IMO.

So yours was smaller?   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 09/13/08 at 00:14:40

By far. I had the stuff in the garage & [popped that tire off the rim between a workbench & a car in a 15 X25 shop.+ I had the bike in there./ The description is more cumbersome than the doohickey. I even have a biggo C-Clamp, but I hate those things. Windy windy wind,, too harrd on my fingers & wrists. They are gtting pretty creaky & achy..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
craigq
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, ON
Reply #7 - 09/13/08 at 06:04:05

I went with a tire changer machine similar to the HF one, combined with a NoMar mount/demount bar. Breaking beads is simple with it; if one is careful there is no way you can scratch the rim, and actually getting the tires off of the rims is very easy.

The tricky part is mounting the new ones Wink  Mind you, this is all for tubeless tires on my lil CBR, I've not had to use it yet on the S40's tires...

2009 WR250R/X
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 09/13/08 at 15:57:46

My 1500 suzuki front tire came loose just by putting my knees on it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Birdmove
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Keaau, Hawaii usa
Reply #9 - 09/14/08 at 11:01:39

Changed both tires on my KLR650 recently and used a "C"clamp to break the bead. Three tire irons,Windex and talcum powder too.

jon

jon neet
JJNeet1   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #10 - 11/25/08 at 20:46:13

I had my '81 GL1100 with me when I was stationed in South Korea back in the day.

Didn't have my bead-breaker there, so I took the scissor jack out of my Mazda, set it on the tire, then started to jack the car with it.

The beak broke easily.  It worked pretty good.

YMMV!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #11 - 11/25/08 at 22:34:00

The old bumper jack method is what my dad (and I used to do) used to break a car tire from the rim. Back in the day when there were such things as bumper jacks. He also would just drive one of the front tires up onto the flat tire to pop the bead. I think tires, cars and brain cells were different back then in the mid-50's though.

I guess since he's no longer on this plane it's safe to tell that he has, when stranded in the middle of nowhere, broken down the tire, patched the tube, re-mounted tire and tube and then blew it up with old fashioned lung power. Dedication to getting the job done. Did I mention we were on the extreme low end of the monetary food chain when I was a wee lad? But things got done.

As I've always said:

"Where there's a will there's a greedy relative".

Jack

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #12 - 11/26/08 at 00:34:04

did my rear tire recently,I put the whole thing in my vice, a few wooden shims between the jaws to bring the bead to the right level,
piece of cake.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 22:27:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › tip for getting a tire off the bead

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!