Send Topic Print
New member (Read 120 times)
SavageBlues
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

09/12/08 at 16:05:35

Hi guys,
I'm new to this site though I've been lurking for a few weeks. I'm currently looking for a savage. I've always been attracted by that big 650 thumper motor.But I'm not very fond of custom looking bikes (my background is bikes from the 60's and 70's). But I want to feel that big thumper and the price is very reasonable for a used bike. I plan on modifying the savage in such a way that it will be between a roadster and a cafe. I know the frame is not an ideal start but I'll go from there.

I do have a lot of questions but for the time being, I'll ask only one that will help me in selecting a model .

Should I go 4 or 5 speeds?
Is it possible to drop a 5 speed gear cluster in a 4 speed motor?
Any one can tell me the speed by 1000rpm for each gearbox?
What's the rpm's at 60mph?

Well I guess that's 4 questions!  Undecided
By for now.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: New member
Reply #1 - 09/12/08 at 16:10:26

I like the 5-speed.  Note that the 4-speeds were only on the first few years' models.  That said, there's not a lot of difference between 4th and 5th gear in the5-speed and I could see how the 4-speed would be just peachy. Seems like there were other issues on some of those early models though too (search for "stop the backlash").  I don't think it's a simple thing to try to mate up a 4-speed gearbox with the engine from a 5-speed (or the reverse).  I think the speed/RPM info is in a post in the Tech Ref forum but I'm not positive.

« Last Edit: 09/13/08 at 13:05:22 by Savage_Rob »  

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #2 - 09/12/08 at 16:20:42

While it usually is dependent on money available, I definately recommend newer 5 speed vs 4 speed (older). Like me and the other grey haired fools, metal wears with age so for the $1,000. diff between a decade of the savage /ls40 model, get the newest you can afford.
Opinion = prepare flamethrowers.. Don't know about the rpms, actually I no longer care what rpm I am at, i ride a little bit of throttle over lugging, giving me lots of reserve.  I think Tachs are important for bikes with a 500-1500 rpm sweetspot, where you try to stay "in the groove" for maximum control(my old RD350 for example), but it counterproductive on the Savage.
Most importantly, welcome. Cheesy

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #3 - 09/12/08 at 16:25:52

Back in march Hutch was working on gearing and posted some rpm listings..if you search by name and rpm, give it i year..it'll come up.  ^Then you might be able to pm him for more info..although he unfortuneately hasn't been on the site recently.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 09/12/08 at 16:28:47

"Motorcycle Cruiser" magazine says, "RPM at 60 mph, top gear: 3940".
 Depends on tire size, mine is about 3800rpm with a 140/90-15.  Top speed around 90mph.  Around 1/4 mile 16sec.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 09/12/08 at 16:41:14

My preference is the 5 speed but not for the gear box.  Older models have a problem with the starter motor.

Redline is 6500, 5500 will have you doing 84, 4400 is 75.

WWW   IP Logged
SavageBlues
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/13/08 at 04:16:43

Guys, thanks for the info on rpm but I was looking at the difference between a 4speeds and a 5speeds cruising at 60mph. I want to find out if the 5th is really an overdrive.

As to placing a 5speed tranny in the 4speed crankcase, well from the parts fiches, 86 and 95 has the same crankcase set part number . So if the crankcase didn't change, it should be a simple case of dropping the 5speed clusters in with the shift drum and forks.

From 86 to 95 they are listing the same 2 different crankcase sets. I wonder what the difference is between them?
In 1996 and later they are still listing a crankcase set from 1986 but came out with a new number for the second set? Anyone knows the difference?

IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #7 - 09/13/08 at 04:39:53

when i asked about the rpm drop before, someone who owns both types 4/5 speeds said it was only a 200 rpm drop.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #8 - 09/13/08 at 05:07:02

The differenc between the trannies are very little.   Mainly more gear to play with.  A handy thing when driving thru town.  The Final output ratio are very close.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 03:16:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New member

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.