Send Topic Print
Winter preparation (Read 192 times)
motokid
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winter preparation
09/12/08 at 07:08:57

Hi, one of the steps for the winter preparation is to fill in the oil into the engine, all the way to the neck. Does anybody know how much oil will fit in?

thks,

K

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Winter preparation
Reply #1 - 09/12/08 at 07:28:04

No need for that unless your storing for twenty years.....  Even then the oil would work it's way past the rings (there is a ring gap) after awhile.

Winter prep is more geared around making sure the fuel system doesn't  cuase problems.    And that the battery wil survie.

For the oil, it's ok to change it, run the bike a few minutes to get the clean oil throughout the engine and shut it down.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #2 - 09/12/08 at 09:09:21

My winter preparation list:

1)  Buy some warmer gloves/mitts.
2)  Find the Carhart bibs in the upstairs closet.
3)  Make sure life insurance is good for "cryosuicide."

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 09/12/08 at 09:23:28

I   put Seafoam in the tank and run it and charge battery every 6 weeks on 2amps over night

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #4 - 09/12/08 at 09:50:24

I'm with Sandy. Thick sweaters, leather pants, gauntlet gloves jacket & of course, boots. Balaclava, full face helmet, union suit, long johns.

Yes, there will be snow and times that the bike will stay covered. But even on the coldest days I ride, as long as I wear the right clothing.

In my experience, even in my old Sportster days, bikes love running in the cold weather.

FSO
  IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #5 - 09/12/08 at 10:51:35

Agree with photojoe and Sandy.  I rode in 30 degree weather last winter with fleece sweat pants over jeans; fleece jacket over my armor and snowmobile gloves.  My biggest issue was the tips of my nose and my ears got really, really cold.  No frostbite but they were uncomfortable for a couple of hours.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
motokid
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/12/08 at 11:29:05

sjaskow - FSO wrote on 09/12/08 at 10:51:35:
Agree with photojoe and Sandy.  I rode in 30 degree weather last winter with fleece sweat pants over jeans; fleece jacket over my armor and snowmobile gloves.  My biggest issue was the tips of my nose and my ears got really, really cold.  No frostbite but they were uncomfortable for a couple of hours.

boo, hoo tough guys. Rode in 30 degrees. That's barely freezing. At that temperature, teens around here still wear shorts, t-shirts and flip flops.

And now, anybody actually has an answer?

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #7 - 09/12/08 at 11:42:36

motokid wrote on 09/12/08 at 11:29:05:

boo, hoo tough guys. Rode in 30 degrees. That's barely freezing. At that temperature, teens around here still wear shorts, t-shirts and flip flops.

I pretty sure that I answered you.....   don't do it.....

My 13 y.o. son wears shorts at 30 too.   Took him for a ride when it was 62 deg F.  He wore blue jeans but said he didn't need any liner in his jacket,  His comment when we got home,  "I think my toes are numb,   I can't feel my knee's.....  complain... complain.... complain....", you know how 13 YO's are....

30 deg F at 55 mph.... (remember science classes??).....  feels like around  -10 degs....     or was it -20  .......   Huh

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 09/12/08 at 11:51:18

Sorry, ask how to servive 120°F heat and I have an answer for you.  But packing a bike full of oil so it can deal with an alaskan winter is something we don't have to do.  Me, I ride all year.

WWW   IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #9 - 09/12/08 at 11:52:00

[/quote]boo, hoo tough guys. Rode in 30 degrees. That's barely freezing. At that temperature, teens around here still wear shorts, t-shirts and flip flops. And now, anybody actually has an answer?
[/quote]
Just change the oil/filter as you normally would. Fill the tank with fresh fuel and stabil, ride for 10 minutes. Pull the spark plug and drop a few tablespoons of oil into the cyl. Put a condom on the end of the exaust, pull the battery and store the bike.

FSO
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #10 - 09/12/08 at 16:55:40

No.  No one knows.  But if you start seeing oil running down your header pipe, you've overfilled it.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #11 - 09/12/08 at 17:02:02

i don't winterize the bike, i winterize me,  i ride year round, even below freezing.  the machine doesnt' know what tempature it is.  Smiley

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Reply #12 - 09/12/08 at 17:09:48

sluggo wrote on 09/12/08 at 17:02:02:
i don't winterize the bike, i winterize me,  i ride year round, even below freezing.  the machine doesnt' know what tempature it is.  Smiley

Same here.  The cold is just a new challenge to overcome.

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
firetruckredbike
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 09/12/08 at 17:19:53

Hi folks.  Has anybody tried the plug-in vest and gloves with the Savage, or is the amperage not adequate?  If not, what are you folks doing for hand warmth.  I am going to ride all winter but am trying to figure out how to keep the hands warm without a lot of bulk.  Thanks, Amy

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #14 - 09/12/08 at 17:27:04

forrest wrote on 09/12/08 at 17:09:48:
sluggo wrote on 09/12/08 at 17:02:02:

Same here.  The cold is just a new challenge to overcome.

I don't want to start an argument here, but I have always looked at this way. Bikers ride year round, enthusiasts park it when it gets cold.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 07:27:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Winter preparation

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.