Winter preparation (Read 192 times)
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: Winter preparation
Reply #15 - 09/12/08 at 17:30:06

firetruckredbike wrote on 09/12/08 at 17:19:53:
Hi folks.  Has anybody tried the plug-in vest and gloves with the Savage, or is the amperage not adequate?  If not, what are you folks doing for hand warmth.  I am going to ride all winter but am trying to figure out how to keep the hands warm without a lot of bulk.  Thanks, Amy

I don't know about plug in vests and things, but I do have three different thicknesses of gloves. A light pair for normal temperature riding (helps reduce bruises when cages and rigs flick rocks up at you from their tires) A medium weight for just slightly chilly days, and full blown gauntlets for winter. My leather jacket I wear year round. (rather sweat a bit than have a bunch of road rash if I go down.)

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #16 - 09/12/08 at 18:30:04

firetruckredbike wrote on 09/12/08 at 17:19:53:
Hi folks.  Has anybody tried the plug-in vest and gloves with the Savage, or is the amperage not adequate?  If not, what are you folks doing for hand warmth.  I am going to ride all winter but am trying to figure out how to keep the hands warm without a lot of bulk.  Thanks, Amy

I've heated grips in my SV. A Norwegian friend has heated grips plus huge insulated so called Hippo hands. He frequently rides hours in -10 C. They look like this

IP Logged
MichaelK
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 09/12/08 at 18:53:32

How the heck do you guys deal with snow and ice on the road?  I live in Minnesota, being a new rider this year, I could easily so myself riding around in 20 degree weather, but any ice on the road would prove to be particularily challenging and dangerous to drive over. Not?

IP Logged
motokid
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 09/12/08 at 18:57:47

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 09/12/08 at 17:27:04:
I don't want to start an argument here, but I have always looked at this way. Bikers ride year round, enthusiasts park it when it gets cold.

Sorry I was under the impression that I had my location in my avatar. Turns out, I didn't. Where I am right now, Alberta, Canada, what you are describing as a 'winter' we have right now. My question is more geared towards what happens when we hit -40 (and that's same in F and in C). User manual reads to fill the engine until oil gets up the to the filler hole, but they don't say how much it actually is.

So, for being a real biker, I guess there are no such people up here - since I have never seen anybody riding MC here in January. Now, since we are not all that sissies, I do ride a mountain bike at -15C (5F) providing the there's a hard pack on the ground.

anyhow, thanks for the ideas.

K

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #19 - 09/12/08 at 19:09:51

Moto you don't put oil up to filler hole,theres a sight window on the the side way down low on right side of bike,It takes about 2 quarts

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Kryhavoc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 09/12/08 at 19:20:13

motokid wrote on 09/12/08 at 18:57:47:
Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 09/12/08 at 17:27:04:
I don't want to start an argument here, but I have always looked at this way. Bikers ride year round, enthusiasts park it when it gets cold.

Sorry I was under the impression that I had my location in my avatar. Turns out, I didn't. Where I am right now, Alberta, Canada, what you are describing as a 'winter' we have right now. My question is more geared towards what happens when we hit -40 (and that's same in F and in C). User manual reads to fill the engine until oil gets up the to the filler hole, but they don't say how much it actually is.

So, for being a real biker, I guess there are no such people up here - since I have never seen anybody riding MC here in January. Now, since we are not all that sissies, I do ride a mountain bike at -15C (5F) providing the there's a hard pack on the ground.

anyhow, thanks for the ideas.

K

Now that's a real winter.  I lived in Northern Sweden for a while where we had similar weather.  I never saw anyone riding in January or February there either.  I think, I'd follow the manual's advice  and use gas stabiliser as well.  I'd remove the battery and store it indoors with occasional bouts on a trickle charger.  I'm not sure if you should also drain your carburetor, but it might be advisable.  I've ridden all winter in both the Seattle area and in NY, but it can be pretty cold at times (not really in Seattle).  I took a 200 mile trip in -4C weather (around 25F) and was cold but basically fine without electrical heaters.  I had good gloves and an insulated jump suit with a leather jacket over the top.  I think I'll use gas stabiliser, have a motor oil change and pull my battery this winter, but will probably take a ride or two in winter if it's a nice day where I live in NY. Smiley

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #21 - 09/12/08 at 20:28:38

-40    Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

Won't have to worry about any oil.  The chemical reaction that is "rusting" will be so slow....   Plus most of the moisture will be solid state......

As for riding...  stand outside in -40 and that your glove off...   Now think about going 20 MPH,  30 MPH and the wind pushing that temp into every fiber of your snow suit.......  

Would be better to find the better half and snuggle....  more fun too.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 09:37:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Winter preparation

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.