Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
need help with turn signal installation (Read 110 times)
saintlouissavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

need help with turn signal installation
09/11/08 at 15:31:32

I just bought a 1995 Savage 650 and discovered a corroded rear turn signal (belt side).  I'm ordering the part to replace it, but am a bit intimidated by the task of switch it out.  Does any know of a good "how-to" that can walk me through my first bike repair?  Thanks in advance.

Sam

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: need help with turn signal installation
Reply #1 - 09/11/08 at 17:23:43

saintlouissavage wrote on 09/11/08 at 15:31:32:
I just bought a 1995 Savage 650 and discovered a corroded rear turn signal (belt side).  I'm ordering the part to replace it, but am a bit intimidated by the task of switch it out.  Does any know of a good "how-to" that can walk me through my first bike repair?  Thanks in advance.

Sam

Did you buy the whole turn signal assembly???

Stock, the turn signal is simple to replace, but a little tedious.

The wires run under the chrome fender bracket with the electrical push together connector towards the front.    

SO........  that means a few bolts to pop the chrome bracket off,  switch stalk / assembly (a screw or two),  re-route wires and bolt it back on.    15 minutes to an hour..... ( 3 or 4 hours if you have friends over drinking all your refreshments and gabbing Smiley )  

There are bolts on both the outside and inside under the fender.   You may want to take a picture of how the wires were originally routed so you can get it back together correctly.  

Having flexible fingers would be helpful when reaching the inside bolts.

Remember, 30% of being mechanical is a confidence.   30% is knowing to go slow when needed.... 30% is looking repeatedly at what you have, and finally 10% is dumb luck that you got it right.  Wink

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
saintlouissavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/11/08 at 18:01:03

T Mack,
I did buy the whole assembly, so I think your instructions are just what I needed.  Thanks for the info...and the encouragement.  I'll try to post my results along with some pictures for others like me.

IP Logged
Bear_Rider

Reply #3 - 09/12/08 at 22:41:37

I swapped out my rear turn signals when I installed my luggage rack and hard cases. Getting the hardware off and on is far harder than the wiring. The mechanical is simply tedious.

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #4 - 09/13/08 at 01:12:25

Bear_Rider wrote on 09/12/08 at 22:41:37:
I swapped out my rear turn signals when I installed my luggage rack and hard cases. Getting the hardware off and on is far harder than the wiring. The mechanical is simply tedious.

+1 to that! Just changed my S40 rails for Savage rails and a backrest. Changing the turn signals was a snap. The hard part is getting to the bolts on the rails, around the rear tire. For my sausage fingers, it was a bit of a challenge. You'll also need to remove the seat. The coupling for the turn signals is under it, and the location easy to find once you take off the seat. Get used to removing the seat. It's a requiement for any work on the Savage, except for refilling the gas tank. Cheesy
Heck, I'm surprised that the instructions for changing a tire don't start with "First remove seat....".

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 05:24:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › need help with turn signal installation

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!