Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The S40 and Interstate Use/Touring (Read 667 times)
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Re: The S40 and Interstate Use/Touring
Reply #15 - 09/09/08 at 23:26:17

Paladin. wrote on 09/09/08 at 04:49:53:
MichaelK wrote on 09/08/08 at 19:03:58:
...I'm aware of some limitations the S40  has in terms of sustained high speed cruising...
The only limitation I can think of is if by "sustained high speed" you mean in excess of 80 mph.

I have a 2000 that I obtained in '04 with just over 5K on the clock.  It had the stock muffler, I replaced with a nice very loud Harley Fishtail, and then with a slightly quieter MAC on the insistance of Wife1.0.  The cover over the idle screw was missing, I do not know if the PO did anything else to the carb, but the bike runs fine.  It is about to turn 25K and I have yet to even look at the spark plug.  It merges onto the freeway (60-65mph) easily in third gear, I timed the 40-70 mph roll-on at 6 to 8 seconds, it'll do an indicated 80 no problem, but 85 on our pavement starts rattling my eyeballs.  This bike is a LOT quicker and faster than I'll ever need.

Last September was a GEEIA Reunion in OKC, I took the bike.  L.A. to O.K.C. was via the superslab.

Gardena-Barstow, 127 miles, 135 minutes, 56 mph (L.A. traffic.)  Gas and food and lookythar stops sure eat into travel time, but managed to do the 570 miles to Holbrook AZ that first day, mostly 65-70 mph pacing traffic.  Day two was 520 miles into Amarillo TX, again running about 70 mph, but needing more and more rest stops.  60 year old body just can't take the sitting in one position endlessly.  But the Bike did jes' fine.

Lots of gas stations along the Interstates, you can use http://www.truckstopinfoplus.com/ to plan out stops at <=140 miles using 24-hour truck stops/ so the smallish tank is not a trip killer.

I have a new saddle, and I want to add floorboards for the next Reunion, about a year from now, in Fort Worth -- should ease the pain of long hours in the saddle.

The return to L.A. was via US-60 / CA-62 at a more reasonable 55-60 and roughly 300 miles/day.  MUCH more enjoyable.  While the superslab traffic is 50-100 cars per mile, the old roads are more like 5 miles per car.  Need to know your gas stops better, but if you simply gas up on your hourly butt breaks it's still not a problem.

Hey Paladin, give me a shout when you make it out this way. Beer's on me.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #16 - 09/10/08 at 04:28:31

Jay wrote on 09/09/08 at 23:26:17:
HA!  This is RSD, the messages keep forever.  You're on with no escape.

Seriously, I find it fascinating to meet other Forum Members.  Anyone willing to ride our little big single and put up with all the jibes from the V-twin folks is alright in my book.

WWW   IP Logged
sidny4
YaBB Newbies

Thumping since May

Fargo, ND
Reply #17 - 09/11/08 at 12:02:49

Hey Paladin, what kind of saddle did you put on your bike? I remember reading a post about it but I can't find it now.

'08 Boulevard S40
  IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 09/11/08 at 15:05:01

I take my S40 on a 12 mile highway ride and rolls perfectly at 70 mph and it still has enough to go more, and all this with a Stock S40.  Not bad, not bad at all!   Cool

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #19 - 09/11/08 at 16:06:27

sidny4 wrote on 09/11/08 at 12:02:49:
Hey Paladin, what kind of saddle did you put on your bike? I remember reading a post about it but I can't find it now.

Ultima (brand) High Noon (model) -- 13" wide, leather, just $50 from Jirehcycles.  (Try searching for "High Noon" for a year back.)

WWW   IP Logged
07S40rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Murfreesboro, TN
Reply #20 - 09/12/08 at 08:22:10

In all honesty, I do enjoy my bike very much and it will ride at interstate speeds just fine.  However, If I were going to buy a bike that I intended to use at 70mph+ consistently, it would not be the S40.  My bike was purchased as primarily a work commute vehicle and it is excellent for that as well as short to medium length weekend rides. The seat is just too uncomfortable for long rides without stopping every 30 minutes or so (for me) and the vibration at those higher speeds makes me numb as a stone after about the same amount of time.  Sure, the S40 can be modified with a newer seat etc... but (assuming one buys a brand new bike at approx. $4k +/-) it doesn't take long until the comfort mods add up to the price of a bike more suited for interstate cruising (S83 as a weak example).   I have a co-worker that rides a Yamaha V-star 1100 custom and I could easily see owning one of those for longer trips.

"One mans McGoofy is another mans McCuff - its like pure magic in a yellow rubber gadget!"
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #21 - 09/12/08 at 12:28:43

07S40rider wrote on 09/12/08 at 08:22:10:
... bike was purchased as primarily a work commute vehicle ... seat is just too uncomfortable for long rides without stopping every 30 minutes or so (for me) ...  vibration at those higher speeds makes me numb ... comfort mods add up to the price of a bike more suited ...
My bike was purchased as a cage replacement, it has to do everything I ask of a vehicle.  I was looking at 250cc cruisers as my needs were street riding with an occasional freeway jaunt.  The Savage, being only 50 pounds heavier was a "why not?" thing.

Seat comfort and vibration level is highly subjective.  Prior to my OKC run I twice did Full Moon runs across Joshua Tree Nat. Park -- leave the house on a Friday after work, circa 9 pm, go 140 or 160 miles to the north or south entrance, 60 miles through the park, then the 160 or 140 miles back home, arriving circa 6 am.  360 miles, stock seat, windscreen; not a problem for me, even with going 75-80 to keep up with traffic.   On the OKC trip the 570 mile day was not a problem, but the 510 the next day added to it started getting uncomfortable -- but that was a stock saddle.

The saddle replacement was in the work queue even without the trip.  My commute takes me over the RR tracks at Vermont and a rather nasty dip a block later -- stock seat I'd pull myself up onto the pegs, with the springer seat I can remain sitting.

My mods have been $430 for the saddlebags (which would cost the same on any bike that didn't come stock with saddlebags) About $200 for the two windscreens (ditto).  The saddle was only $50 plus springs, shipping, material to mount -- less than $70 total.  Floorboards will be similar in cost as I'm a cheapskate.

I think the intent of the original question wasn't whether or not the Savage is ideal for Interstate Touring, just whether or not it was capable of safely running on the superslabs.  It is.  I'm not about to buy a bike for a once a year trip, but it is nice to be able to load up the little guy and go on an extended run -- which I don't think I'd want to do on a GZ250.  But wouldn't mind trying.  (I took a rented Suzuki 90 from Biloxi MS to New Orleans -- 160 miles round trip)

I definitely agree that if touring was the purpose I'd not be on the Savage -- I already looked at a Concourse and would also check out an ST1100/1300.

WWW   IP Logged
07S40rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Murfreesboro, TN
Reply #22 - 09/12/08 at 12:55:11

Paladin - Your points are correct.  I think we are more or less saying the same thing, just from slightly different angles.   Reading back through the original post I see that the OP did indeed simply mention the ability of the S40 to handle occasional interstate speeds/traffic while the rest of the riding would be "around town and to work".  That being said - given the relative low cost of a used LS650 or even a brand new S40, I would say it is the best option.  

MichaelK - your physical size is identical to mine and I would not hesitate to recommend the S40 as a good bike for you.   I avoide the interstate simply because I don't like riding on the interstate - but when I need to, I don't hesitate to take the S40 up to interstate speeds.  if/when my butt starts to go numb I just roll off the throttle real quick and let the backfire get my blood flowing extra hard.  If that doesn't do it - then I stop for fuel and fondle my McGoofy a little.  works every time.  Cheesy  See associated McCuff/McGoofy thread for explanation -->>> http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1216913435/0

"One mans McGoofy is another mans McCuff - its like pure magic in a yellow rubber gadget!"
  IP Logged
MichaelK
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 09/12/08 at 18:32:42

Yeah, well it seems there are many trade-offs involved when considering a new bike....more so than with cars.

That's what's so alluring about S40, while it's definately not perfect, it comes close to "do it all" ride in the cruiser format (which is the style that I prefer).

IP Logged
Bear_Rider

Reply #24 - 09/12/08 at 22:33:20

MichaelK,

I don't know what part of the country that you'll be riding in, but if you're out in the west and you get off onto the secondary roads, keep that small gas tank very much in mind. There seems to be a trend lately of gas stations in small towns closing.  I just completed a 1200 mile round trip across northern nv and california to the oregon coast. Everything went fine until I pulled into Cedarvilla, CA and found out that the Texaco station that I gassed up at last year closed down about two months back. It was the only station in town. Fortunately the locals were kind, because I MIGHT have mad the next town (which did have a gas station), but I wasn't real eager to test the theory.

Before coming back, I picked up a one gallon gas can. If filled it just before the long jump and sure enough, I didn't need it. Isn't that always the way? Of course we all know that if I hadn't had it, the Savage would have wheezed to a stop in the hot desert sun about ten miles shy, in an area with no cell service and little traffic.

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #25 - 09/13/08 at 01:34:25

Paladin. wrote on 09/10/08 at 04:28:31:
Jay wrote on 09/09/08 at 23:26:17:
HA!  This is RSD, the messages keep forever.  You're on with no escape.

Seriously, I find it fascinating to meet other Forum Members.  Anyone willing to ride our little big single and put up with all the jibes from the V-twin folks is alright in my book.

For sure! Give me enough of a heads up and I'll make sure I'm off. A trip to the Flying Saucer sounds about right. Over 200 beers on tap. Oh, and food if you go for that sort of thing. Smiley

Oops. Just checked the GEEIA website, and it says the 2009 reunion is going to be in San Antonio. http://www.geeia-mda-ei.org/html/2009_reunion.html
Might still be able to meet you out there. Mi Tiera for some cabrito y cerveza. Si? Might get to meet some more of the Savage crowd from down that way too.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
azsavagerider
YaBB Newbies

arizona
Reply #26 - 09/20/08 at 07:15:46

People have been debating this question for years regarding interstate use and the savage.  If you add a K & N filter, use synthetic oil and remove the spacer and turn the screw out 2-2 1/4, you will be able to cruise at 75 with no problem and room to spare.

People mention comfort zone all the time with the savage and running it WOT.  Man, the bike is bullet proof.  I have been running mine 75-85 for years with many other bigger bikes in my group and it is definitely close to full throttle.  No problems, no smoke, starts up and idles perfect every time I use it.

Now I would defintely say, regardless of the mods, if you want to cruise beyond 75 and have extra to get around stupid cages, you need to know that it will not be very much.

I agree regarding the bike being angry at 60mph.  Even without any of the mods, you can easily cruise at 70-75 and still have extra for emergencies.  At 75-80, I routinely get 55-60 mpg or 115-120 per tank.  

Now is this bike comfortable for long trips, not particularly, depending on your definition of comfortable, which is all relative.  I can ride it all day and am ok but that is no more than 6-7 hours.  I would recommend a w/s for the freeway.  I don't have one but wish I did.

Another thing.  Everytime I ride with new people in my riding group, they are also riding with many others that have different bikes.  However, they seem to only be interested in mine after we get to the first stop.  They always want to know how big the engine is and when I tell them, they literally drop their jaw wide open in disbelief.  They do not understand how I keep up with them with no problem.  It is simple, the bike only weighs 352 pounds dry.  My old Honda Rebel 250 weighed in at 300.  That is a very light easily manuverable bike.  I can take corners and twistys same as the crotch rockets.

Yes the other bikes pull ahead after 90 but that is fine as I do not need to go that fast as you don't get a second chance on a bike.  

Just ride the bike where you want when you want and do proper maintenance and ride safe and you will be fine.  

I can ride with my wife, who weighs 175 and me 210 and cruise at 70-75 with no problem.  

Every bike is different and you will never know by other peoples opinions only by taking it where you want and seeing if it will do what you want.  

Thanks

Live life without regrets because at one time that is what you wanted.
  IP Logged
MichaelK
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 09/20/08 at 11:14:35

Thanks, desert_cruisers, for the informative post.  I think about getting the silver S-40 at the local dealership every day now.  I have to pay the $1400 I owe on the GZ250 first, however.  Then I imagine I'll trade that in for the Savage.  

Like I mentioned in an earlier post, most of my use for it would be around town and on county roads and highways, with the occasional interstate cruise mixed in to visit my out of state relatives.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 08:33:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › The S40 and Interstate Use/Touring

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.