Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The S40 and Interstate Use/Touring (Read 667 times)
MichaelK
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The S40 and Interstate Use/Touring
09/08/08 at 19:03:58

I've been doing a lot of research on the S40, and think that it would be a good fit for me.  I currently ride a GZ250 around town and to work... been a m/c rider for about 4 months now (I have my license, and got about 1500 miles under my belt).

I'm aware of some limitations the S40  has in terms of sustained high speed cruising... but I'm not interested in doing more than 65-70mph anyway.... on the Interstate, I would just try to use the bike and my skills to get separation from other traffic.

I this a can do? Opinions out there?

BTW, I'm 5'10", 170lbs and wouldn't do 2-up riding

IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Re: The S40 and Interstate Use/Touring
Reply #1 - 09/08/08 at 19:10:27

This bike will go as far as you are willing to ride it. There are a few on here who have made some really long trips. If you remember to stop and do the maintenance it will keep on going.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #2 - 09/08/08 at 19:14:35

70 mph is standard for almost all the riding I do.  The bike thinks I'm angry with it if I only let it do 60 for some reason.  For sustained cruising, I don't think I'd want to run much more than 75, but that's just me.  That's getting pretty close to WOT.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/08/08 at 19:30:23

I ride about 18 miles one way to work part of which is on I-270 around St. Louis. Like most major cities, this is the circular interstate which loops around town. The traffic will slow to a crawl one moment and turn into a mini Nascar race the next. I've had my S40 for one summer and just passed 2500 miles riding like this and have never been in a spot yet where I needed quicker  pickup. Have gone on a couple 100 mile rides and other than the seat, it is acceptable. No one's going to mistake it for a Goldwing however.

IP Logged
Irish
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/08/08 at 20:24:40

I am considering the Boulevard S40 to replace my Honda Rebel.  How does the bike handle mountain passes and long rides?  This bike seems like what I am looking for.  Larger engine and fits my short stature (4"10")  We live in the Pacific NW and are looking at traveling to the Midwest.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/08/08 at 20:33:17

I started on a Rebel myself. The Savage/s40 is IMO the best step up bike from the 250 cruisers. Its almost as light, almost as cheap, easier to maintain than most except the gz250 which its basically equal to in maint. and has a GREAT deal more kick. It also have a few quirks. look up "plug leak" and "cam chain tensioner" on the search function. My '95 will do 70 without even trying and will definately hit the indicated 100mph. I havent gone more than a few hundred miles at a time but Ive had no issues with it keeping up on the interstate. You'll stop before the bike as long as you keep it maintained. On long rides check your oil level frequently.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #6 - 09/09/08 at 00:30:00

My 1st Bike was a CMX250 Rebel ... my next an LS650 Savage, then a VS800 ... that was too heavy ... now back to an LS ('05 S40) ... LOVE IT!
I'd say go get the S40 and be happy! Cool

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Rustbucket

Reply #7 - 09/09/08 at 00:35:26

The S-40 would be a good choice. I use mine mostly in city as a commuter and some hwy cruising on weekends. This bike likes them both equally IMO. Just today i had to run the interstate for about 40 miles and the bike and i loved it. There was a moment where i needed to get out of a hole i was in and a twist of the throttle took me from 65 to 80 in a matter of seconds. This bike has great response and it's quick!!!!

IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #8 - 09/09/08 at 03:21:03

I did exhaustive research before picking the S40 to fit my needs. No regrets whatsoever. The bike performs more than adequately, easily doing 70 with plenty of passing power ("I'm 6'2 and 175lbs) , it's very easy to work on and there are some very simple mods you can do to improve performance and comfort. All of them are documented here on this site.  

As mentioned, some people have taken it  on long distance interstate tours. It can be done, but I also suspect that the riders also routinely chew glass & sleep on a bed of nails just for fun. Distance touring was not a factor in my decision-making process.  I might take it down to the Florida Keys once hurricane season is over, but my typical trip is a 50 mile round trip daily  commute or a 120 mile RT weekend ride.

Overall, the bike sounds like a good fit for your needs.  If you decide to do more touring , riding 2-up at highway speeds, you'll likely want to trade up, get another bike , or find a more petite passenger like a small dog or a ferret.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #9 - 09/09/08 at 04:49:53

MichaelK wrote on 09/08/08 at 19:03:58:
...I'm aware of some limitations the S40  has in terms of sustained high speed cruising...
The only limitation I can think of is if by "sustained high speed" you mean in excess of 80 mph.

I have a 2000 that I obtained in '04 with just over 5K on the clock.  It had the stock muffler, I replaced with a nice very loud Harley Fishtail, and then with a slightly quieter MAC on the insistance of Wife1.0.  The cover over the idle screw was missing, I do not know if the PO did anything else to the carb, but the bike runs fine.  It is about to turn 25K and I have yet to even look at the spark plug.  It merges onto the freeway (60-65mph) easily in third gear, I timed the 40-70 mph roll-on at 6 to 8 seconds, it'll do an indicated 80 no problem, but 85 on our pavement starts rattling my eyeballs.  This bike is a LOT quicker and faster than I'll ever need.

Last September was a GEEIA Reunion in OKC, I took the bike.  L.A. to O.K.C. was via the superslab.

Gardena-Barstow, 127 miles, 135 minutes, 56 mph (L.A. traffic.)  Gas and food and lookythar stops sure eat into travel time, but managed to do the 570 miles to Holbrook AZ that first day, mostly 65-70 mph pacing traffic.  Day two was 520 miles into Amarillo TX, again running about 70 mph, but needing more and more rest stops.  60 year old body just can't take the sitting in one position endlessly.  But the Bike did jes' fine.

Lots of gas stations along the Interstates, you can use http://www.truckstopinfoplus.com/ to plan out stops at <=140 miles using 24-hour truck stops/ so the smallish tank is not a trip killer.

I have a new saddle, and I want to add floorboards for the next Reunion, about a year from now, in Fort Worth -- should ease the pain of long hours in the saddle.

The return to L.A. was via US-60 / CA-62 at a more reasonable 55-60 and roughly 300 miles/day.  MUCH more enjoyable.  While the superslab traffic is 50-100 cars per mile, the old roads are more like 5 miles per car.  Need to know your gas stops better, but if you simply gas up on your hourly butt breaks it's still not a problem.

WWW   IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #10 - 09/09/08 at 05:15:06

The Savage is a capable solo highway cruiser. It will take you (and your luggage) anywhere you care to ride.  

One member rode his clear across the country, another from Kentucky to Minnesota.  I put just over 38,000 miles on mine in under a year.

It is a good bike.  It is a simple bike.  It will do the job without alot of fanfare and bling.  You can't go wrong with a Savage. Be it your first bike or your only bike, it will get the job done.

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
sockmonkeygirl
Serious Thumper

37 Stitches

W.Mass
Reply #11 - 09/09/08 at 05:16:19

3 hour interstate trip to NYC with no problems.  Mostly in the rain, nonetheless.  Go for it!  Cheesy

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #12 - 09/09/08 at 05:59:21

Michael K

If all you are going to do is superslab riding, especially if you are going to take mostly long trips, there might be better choices out there than the Savage. This is not to say that it can't be done, but it is getting out of the Savage's comfort zone.

IP Logged
MichaelK
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 09/09/08 at 14:58:50

First, thanks to all for the input.  I'm leaning more and more towards trading the GZ in for the s40 by midwinter or so.

mornhm:  In fact no, I wouldn't use the S40 for much superslab riding at all.  It would be mainly an around town(St. Cloud, MN) and commuter bike to work and back(20 miles, round trip), where speeds wouldn't and legally can't exceed 55mph on county highways.

I'm just playing with the idea of riding the bike down to a family reunion in Illinois next July....I'm now pretty convinced  that it would indeed be possible....Thanks again for the advice everyone.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #14 - 09/09/08 at 15:21:09

Did 350 highway miles (550km) from Springdale, Nfld. to St. John's, Nfld. on my newly aquired S40 back in late June ... in very inclement weather too I might add ... Bike sucked it up better than I did!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 06:25:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › The S40 and Interstate Use/Touring

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.