Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
2003 yamaha raptor 660 petcock fits (Read 606 times)
dropoutjohn
Ex Member

Re: 2003 yamaha raptor 660 petcock fits
Reply #15 - 09/10/08 at 12:20:49

copper tube should do it.

IP Logged
dr1445

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 09/10/08 at 14:58:44

swap the stock reserve tube for the yam unit?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 09/11/08 at 03:45:19

What part or portion of a tank (talking in inches from the bottom) would be a good improved reserve?

When you are in the mountains or in the desert they put up little signs that say, "LAST GAS FOR 59 miles" and they mean it.  An example where I was worried was riding in the National Forest and once again on a deserted leg of the Appalachin Parkway.

Then you have to balance that by the aggravation of going to reserve all the time when city driving because of the increased reserve.  Not much of an aggravation, mind you, just some.

What's a good balance?

Oldfeller

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #18 - 09/11/08 at 06:27:10

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 09/11/08 at 03:45:19:
What part or portion of a tank (talking in inches from the bottom) would be a good improved reserve?

When you are in the mountains or in the desert they put up little signs that say, "LAST GAS FOR 59 miles" and they mean it.  An example where I was worried was riding in the National Forest and once again on a deserted leg of the Appalachin Parkway.

Then you have to balance that by the aggravation of going to reserve all the time when city driving because of the increased reserve.  Not much of an aggravation, mind you, just some.

What's a good balance?

Oldfeller

hey  this one I can semi- answer...   Grin

First step.  figure out how gas you will need.  To do this, you will need to figure your worse case scenerio to find gas....   (59 miles?).  Then figure out both your avg and your worse MPG (gives you a little buffer).   (i.e 60 MPG avg, 52 MPG worse).  Use a number half way in between (56 for my examlpe).     Do the math to find how much gas you need.   (59 mils divide by 56 MPG is 1.05 gallons)  

Second step, find out where in the tank that magic gallon amount is.   First, get the bike level (poor man's bike stand????).   Next,  get a piece of clear fuel line  (Hardware store, Lawn-mower repair shop, Home Depot).  Pull fuel line off petcock and replace with enough clear hose to get over the top of the tank.   Then,  drain the tank by putting hose into a container and setting petcock to PRI ( or onconvertedd petcocks, whatever setting makes fuel flow).  Then seaperate your magic fuel amount  (in my example 1.05 gallon).  Set Petcock back to ON or Res (or OFF for the converted petcocks).   Pour the magic fuel amount back into the tank.    Hold the clear hose up so that it clears the top of the tank, and then turn petcock to PRI ( or on converted petcocks to whatever setting makes fuel flow).   The hose will fill up with fuel only to the level of fuel in the tank.    Mark were that level is on the side of the tank.  Preferably close to the petcock location.     Turn off fuel flow and let the little bit of fuel in the hose drain into the container.  Measure distance from joint of tank&petcock to the mark.    This distance is where you need to move you ON inlet to.

the only thing you need to do, is figure out how to move the inlet.....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #19 - 09/11/08 at 13:55:10

Adding something to the tube part depends on the construction, which nobody has seen yet as cameras were not available when one was installed.

As far as how much reserve, an easy meatball answer would be 1/3 of the depth of the filled tank, this giving a reserve greater than a gallon as curve of the tank plays against the volume as you go up.

That would be a low tech answer that would split the difference on the city aggrevation factor vs the need for lots of reserve miles.

Who has one on order and who is going to tell us the construction, give us a pic and figure out the add the tube part for all of us?

Lazyoldfeller

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Moofed
Alliance Member

...and the engine
just gleams...

Bloomington, Indiana
Reply #20 - 09/15/08 at 11:14:42

Found an ebay listing with an okay picture (not great).

From http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-Raptor-660-Gas-Cap-Fuel-Petcock-55B2_W0...

It's from a 2001, but bikebandit says 2001 through 2005 use the same part.

WWW Moofed MoofedOne   IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #21 - 09/15/08 at 21:09:55

Thanks Moofed. This info is so freakin sweeeet! My Petc0ck is working fine, but I may order one anyway; just to have for when it doesn't work so fine.
It should fit the S40, right? Huh

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Foxman
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 09/16/08 at 15:05:15

I also posted this in the tech section.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #23 - 09/16/08 at 21:47:03

Foxman, what holds the filter screens on to the tubes?   Is it glued in place, held by friction or what?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Foxman
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 09/17/08 at 15:14:07

Quote:
Foxman, what holds the filter screens on to the tubes?   Is it glued in place, held by friction or what?

It looks like its snapped in, but may be glued. Im scared to mess with it to much. i dont wanna break it. The reserve looks like it wouldnt come out nicely. But the ON one there a lil ring around the top of it kind of like it clips on. But im not tryin to pull it apart either.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 05:53:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2003 yamaha raptor 660 petcock fits

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.