Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Starter motor clutch query (Read 35 times)
Ecclesnz
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Dunedin, New Zealand
Starter motor clutch query
09/07/08 at 00:01:07

Hi Guys, after some help if possible  I have an '87 Savage LS 650.  The starter motor clutch in it was going and would make a loud clunking sound when it was winding over at times.

Spoke to a wrecker here who sent me one off about a 95-97 model I believe.

It was installed, now when you start the bike it idels fine, but under load it just coughs and farts and sounds like the timing is well out.

Is the starter motor clutch likely to be different?  If there anything I can do without having to have the newer one taken out and then have to buy a brand new one?

Cheers for any help guys.

Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Starter motor clutch query
Reply #1 - 09/07/08 at 00:16:45

Haven't seen either so add salt...

The trouble with the 4speed's is the starter can be broken durring shutdown.  Sometimes the last rev will go in reverse (kickback)  the starter gear is a one way clutch.  with the engine going backwards it will engage the clutch.  I guess the starter has enough resistance to keep it from turning so the gear and mounting bosses suffer.  With the later years, this is prevented by adding a torque limiter in the one way clutch.

How this would affect your timing, haven't a clue.

did you swap engines? 95 for a 87?  now that would have a timing issue.  you need to get the CDI out of the 95 for the 95 engine.

WWW   IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Re: Starter motor clutch query
Reply #2 - 09/07/08 at 00:38:33

Hmmm. This is not my area of expertise, but did you thouroughly check out the new unit prior to install? A search of the forum revealed the following that might be worth referencing for your situation.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1210886378/8#8
Re: Electrickery!
Reply #8 - 05/24/08 at 17:14:44     Sorted this one out - the starter motor was shorting out - the innards were in poor condition when I took it appart, loads of debris fell out of the case and the smell of burnt shellac was not pleasant at all. The short was robbing the ignition system of the power to produce a spark.

Then there is this, which relates to verslagen1's post.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1211481002/4#4
Re: HELP I have hit Technical Hitch with starter
Reply #4 - 05/23/08 at 00:49:10     I fear the difference between the old style and new style starter mechanisms completely prevents any compatibility. The addition of the clutch mechanism in the new style was in answer to the problem of the old starter and gears tendency to backlash and break the starter motor from the crankcase.

Sad to report that I know of no work-around to make the parts you have work together; and it sounds like you are now in the market for a late model left side engine cover. Probably best off to use the newer "clutch" system anyways and save your crankcase from possible future damage. Brand new left side crankcase cover is about $75 from Ron Ayer's.
New (second hand) starter installed and the beasty finally woke up!

It's also been stated here that the starter motor is the single biggest drain of the battery, next to the headlight. Is your battery in good shape? Hope this provides you with at least soem possible leads. Best of luck!

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:21:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Starter motor clutch query

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!