Send Topic Print
Sigma 800 (Read 114 times)
janeforbes
2005 No Login

Jump & ride!

South Florida
Sigma 800
09/05/08 at 21:49:32

I recently installed and now removed the wireless Sigma bike computer. Some posts here told me the wireless one would not work well on a motorcycle. I now have the Sigma 800, with wires, ready to install. This seems different than the one I had a few years ago. The directions show a space of only 5mm between the magnet and the end of the wire, which needs to be attached somewhere on the front fork. Can anyone tell me where and how to mount the magnet (on the spoke) and the wire on the fork to get this distance. Or do i need a bigger magnet? With the older model as i can remember it wasn't mounted on the spoke. Why can't things stay simple?! Would appreciate any help. Thanks! This site is great for info.

WWW   IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Re: Sigma 800
Reply #1 - 09/05/08 at 21:54:35

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1183653316

That should help you. If you still have questions let us know.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 09/06/08 at 06:06:02

Don't make life hard on yourself.  Do it the easy way.  

Buy one of these magnets because they are VERY strong and project a field up to 1/2 inch.  Then put the magnet on the rim of your front wheel rim and glue the sensor on the bottom edge of your fender bracket (an invisible location).

(actually, buy like 4 of the little magnets as you find uses for them and the shipping costs are way way more than the cost of the 4 little magnets)

The stronger sensor "sender" magnet can bridge the larger air gaps between your motorcycle front wheel rim to the side of the front fender.  You can mount your sensor under your fender next to the edge of the rim and put one of these on the top of the rim  (narrow side out)  exactly opposite from the air stem so as to not affect wheel balance adversely.  This magnet is a "lengthwise" oriented magnet so it projects the strongest field distance from the narrow ends.

The Sigma unit is neat for our use because the wire length works out to be exactly what we need on a Savage when we do it with this stronger "sender" magnet to make the tucked under the fender across from the rim mount position for the sensor work correctly.  Buy yourself at least 4 of the little magnets, because they double as BALANCE WEIGHTS for your tires (and they cost a lot less than the chrome plated lead spoke weights they sell for $7.00 EACH)

http://www.supermagnetman.net/product_info.php?products_id=346

Instructions on how to set the speedo up can be found on this excellent web page.  Don't be fooled by the different model numbers, the same company makes both and your x06 is a newer version of the same speedo this guy is talking about.

http://www.geocities.com/toms_toys/bc80.html

Do use the mile marker setting trick on the black background web page referred to above.  If you take a trip on an interstate just stop at a mile marker and restart your computer as per his directions and write down all the info you get when you stop at a goodly distant mile marker.  Mile markers are not dead nuts accurate as individuals, but when you are averaging say 40 to 100 of them you get a very very accurate setting for your speedo computer.  

If you can't find it on the web page, here is the calculator that makes all this math and mm-to-mph translation dirt easy.

http://www.geocities.com/toms_toys/bc80c.html

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #3 - 09/06/08 at 07:43:57

Mine is a Schwinn, but I just wire-tied the sender to the caliper and hooked the magnet to the spoke.  I had to use a small washer in the spoke clamp, as the spokes are thicker than the clamp's design allows for.  It ain't pretty, but it works well and took no time at all to install.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 09/06/08 at 07:53:42

Sandy, does your Schwinn unit freak out if you go too fast?  Mine gets funny over 70 mph, starts reporting less and less instead of more and more.  

Note, Schwinn units from Walmart seem to have more lead wire length than the cheap Sigma Sports units do.  Schwinn units also leave the time clock up as a default unlike the cheaper of the Sigma Sports units.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #5 - 09/06/08 at 08:09:00

Sometimes it goes fugazi at speed.  The closer I put the magnet to the sender, the better it seems to run.  I generally quit relying on it at 75 mph.  I rarely run any faster than that, and when I do, I'm usually passing, and not looking at my speedometer.  On the few full speed runs I've made for scientific purposes, I've had inconsistent results.  Sometimes it will read slightly lower than the bike speedo (as it should, with my larger rear tire) and sometimes it will read 50 when I'm doing, ummm... more than 50.

I didn't think about the shorter lead restricting mounting options.  That would make a difference, huh?  My Schwinn stays on the setting where I had it last.  Usually I leave it on the DST setting, which is my trip meter/fuel guage.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
janeforbes
2005 No Login

Jump & ride!

South Florida
Reply #6 - 09/06/08 at 16:54:52

I bought batteries at radio shack (1"dia), installed them on the tire rim and mounted the reciever under the front fender. I am not getting any readings at all, 0. the clock works. Any suggestions Please
Thanks for the help

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 09/06/08 at 17:06:49

You installed batteries on the rim?  that's not right you need magnets.

some have put the sensor on the brake caliper and the magnet on the disk,  the closer the gap the better.

WWW   IP Logged
janeforbes
2005 No Login

Jump & ride!

South Florida
Reply #8 - 09/06/08 at 19:25:14

I meant magnets! The gap between the sensor and the magnets is less than 1/8"

WWW   IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #9 - 09/06/08 at 19:52:13

There are a couple things I would suggest:

1) You mentioned 1" magnets. This is one of those cases where bigger is not better. Actually, the really small "rare earth magnets" that they sell at Radio Shack are better since have a much stronger magnetic field. They are probably about 1/4" in diameter, maybe 3/8" tops.   Anyway. you can test the effectiveness of the magnets you purchased by waving them in front of the sensor before you even mount them. If the magnets are good, waving them will replicate the action of the wheel passing by the sensor and you will see the Sigma start to read in mph. If you get no reading you're not close enough, or the magnets are not strong enough.  You might need to do this for about 30 seconds till you get a reading.

2) I installed my pair of magnets on the rim, stacked edge to edge and I also applied some epoxy to hold them in place.

3) I learned that the angle of alignment of the sensor to the magnets is as critical as the distance from the sensor to the magnet. So even if you have it very close to the magnets, (and mine is within 1/8" as well),  you may need to rotate the sensor left or right to get a good signal as the magnets pass by. I was off by about 10-15 degrees and it would not read. Tweaked it a little and it has been perfect ever since.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 00:27:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sigma 800

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.