Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
rejet or adj. carb or nothing (Read 73 times)
alcoa

never let the
bastards wear you
down

rejet or adj. carb or nothing
09/05/08 at 12:15:32

I have a 2007 with 1000 miles. I am going to keep my bike for many years, what can I do to keep it running at its best?  Wink Sad Roll Eyes

most problems are caused by the loose nut that conects the handelbars to the seat
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: rejet or adj. carb or nothing
Reply #1 - 09/05/08 at 12:24:21

Best thing to do is make sure the oil is change regularly.  But since the thread title is about carbs,  the answer depends on what you want to do to the other parts of the bike.  

If you keep everything else stock,  at a minimun,  once the bike is out of warranty, I suggest adjusting the low speed mixture which would be a screw under the brass plug on right side of carb.   Also , I would do the white spacer mod which will help the mid range response and will actually help the bike run cooler.    But, the white spacer mod can lead to slightly lower MPG .....  shouldn't because the bike should be running in a more efficient fuel/air ratio.... but the "smile" factor will get you.....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #2 - 09/06/08 at 01:37:56

I have a 2008, with a little over 3,500 on her. The best advice I can give is nothing. Do nothing to it but change the oil, frequently; and do the recommended service at the recommended intervals. Read through the Rubber Side Down section start to finish, and you'll find a good many mods to the carb; along with a good many heartaches as well. No offense to the guys and gals who do mod their bikes. A great many loooove wrenchin' the Savage; but for years of trouble free riding, it seems the best approach is minimalist. I did the white spacer mod, and the tiny bit I gained in performance wasn't worth the MPG loss, so I put it back to stock.
Now, let me go find cover before these guys and gals start into me with a fury. Grin

(Oh, I would do the brass plug mod though. Infidel! Hypocrite!)

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #3 - 09/06/08 at 04:11:33

My top 10 list of things to keep it running:

1) Regular oil and filter changes
2) Use 20w 50 synthetic oil
3) Keep your air filter clean
4) Regularly wash the bike with a good overall cleaner like S100. Keep the cooling fins clean and use a soft brush.
5) Make sure the engine has time to warm up before you head out and open up the throttle.
6) Check your fluid levels, including battery level and electrical connections.
7) If you are going to store the bike for some period of time, add a fuel stabilizer to your gasoline.
8) Follow all the recommended service checks, and learn to do them yourself.
9) Keep your tires properly inflated.
10) Perhaps most importantly,  ride the darn thing as often as you can. The Savage was designed to be ridden by smart, good looking, friendly people who have a passion for riding. Other bikes are designed for air conditioned garages, museums and to impress others.

As for running "best", that is a personal set of conditions. If it is a certain sound you like, there is probably a muffler that will get you there. If you want to eliminate or minimize backfire, the white spacer and air mixture mods are described in this forum. If you want more horsepower, rejetting or a performance carb can get you there.  You can replace the belt drive with a chain.  If you want more comfort, there are better grips, seats and forward controls. But when it comes to those mods, "best" is what you define.

Overall, I'm with Jay that the bike is best left alone with perhaps the tweaks needed to adjust the air/fuel mixture. I'm sure Suzuki wouldn't have set the carb where it is if it weren't to please the infinite wisdom of the EPA.  But it's your call and whatever you want to do there is someone here to help you with it.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 09/06/08 at 04:46:46

Go 1 jet richer on low and hight speed jets it will run better and not change your mileage hardly at all.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #5 - 09/06/08 at 06:38:37

alcoa wrote on 09/05/08 at 12:15:32:
I have a 2007 with 1000 miles. I am going to keep my bike for many years, what can I do to keep it running at its best?  Wink Sad Roll Eyes

I guess the main question is:  "Are you happy with the way it runs now?"

I left mine stock...until I rode it thru it's first winter.  Below 55F, it would "surge" which was a symptom of running too lean.  I did the white spacer mod, which fixed that problem.  It would have been ok to leave it stock, but I couldn't live with that.   Wink

Many people find that taking the white spacer out is too much, 1/3 to 1/2 seems to satisfy most...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:33:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › rejet or adj. carb or nothing

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.