Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
bought a 2001 without steering lock key (Read 231 times)
ero4444

weekender

bought a 2001 without steering lock key
09/04/08 at 14:36:01

I bought a 2001 without steering lock key.  I figured to take it to a locksmith but it seems most can't do it because they don't have the keystock - I don't think picking it is a problem.

There is a number on the cylinder I think - is that a pin combination or a cylinder model#?

I think if I remove the rivet and cover, then the cylinder will come out, right?  Then would replacing the cylinder be cheaper then finding a locksmith or resorting to a dealership.

You know, maybe I should have kept looking until I found a seller with a steering lock key...

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: bought a 2001 without steering lock key
Reply #1 - 09/04/08 at 15:03:18

you've got the least stolen bike on the market, why worry about a hard to use, almost useless lock?  You can leave the key in the lock and it's not going anywhere. (yes on several occassions)

To remove, grab a drill, center on cylinder and drill it out.

mine didn't have a number visible.

If you do find someone, let us know how it's done.

WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #2 - 09/04/08 at 20:07:20

The number on the lock is the key code, a good lock smith will be able to cut a replacement key with that number. I used to pick up master pad locks on the road and if the lock had a key number I would get a new key cut for about a buck. Great way to get a good lock for cheap. Call your local stealership, they should have a locksmith that they use for keys.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #3 - 09/04/08 at 21:55:39

IMHO I would not bother with it.  Anyone with a little bit of axx can just grab the handlebars and snap that sucker open, and ride away.

Save your money, I never use mine.  Buy a disk lock instead, if you are worried about your bike, better yet, get one with an alarm.

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 09/04/08 at 22:52:56

Put a sidecar on it & get a Biggo Dawg!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #5 - 09/05/08 at 09:45:21

Point taken about the "least stolen" aspect.  My local thieves aren't that smart though.  

I like the bike and it's the most expensive toy I have, so I've been locking a heavy duty 3-foot armored cable through the rear over the seat.

Thanks - I'll let you know if I have more info

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 09/05/08 at 10:17:29

understand about the exspensive toy and protecting it.

For the 1st 6 months, parked in front of the gaurd shack and put a disk lock on.  To turn it off, pull the key and walk away sure lacks something.  Now I'm lucky if I remember to pocket the key.

WWW   IP Logged
Brad_THMP3R

Fighting for Iraqs
Freedom

Hampton Roads, Va
Reply #7 - 09/05/08 at 12:33:03

I have the key to mine but can't seem to get it to work, it turns but no lock. I also forget to pocket the key at least once a week.

Jardine slashcut - oldfeller filter - 52 pilot, 152 main - no spacer - ngk iridium plug - olive drab paint - no head covers - respect brotha! I'll eat you!
WWW   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #8 - 09/05/08 at 13:27:46

Key releases a plunger that goes in a pocket in the steering stem with the forks close to all the way left. have to wiggle it back and forth a little to put the key and plunger into the pocket. The the key goes back to straight up. To release turn left (CCW)and wiggle again and the key/plunger will retract from the pocket and unlock the forks. Does prevent rolling the bike away, but not 4 determined folks from just picking it up and putting it on a trailer/in a PU or Van. Max

« Last Edit: 09/05/08 at 15:09:11 by Max_Morley »  

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Royal
YaBB Newbies

Ride like the Devil,
he's gaining on you.

Kansas and Texas
Reply #9 - 09/05/08 at 15:42:01

Brad......With the forks all the way to the left, turn the key CCW, then push it in farther. I thought mine was faulty the first time I tried it. That was just a test to see if it worked. I don't think I have every used any steering lock except when I was touring in Morocco.

IP Logged
up4fishin
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 09/13/08 at 03:47:13

out for a morning surf on eBay revealed this, a key blank for a Suzuki Boulevard fork lock...  
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=ADME%3AB%...  

Any decent locksmith should be able to build a key from a blank fairly inexpensively.  best of luck.   Cool

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #11 - 09/13/08 at 06:41:43

Back in the early '80's I locked the forks, pocketed the key, and went into the DMV.  Witnesses said the thief went up to the bike, unlocked it, and rode off.

WWW   IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #12 - 09/13/08 at 13:35:26

geez - thought it would be at least better than nothing!  

Looks like the alarmed disc lock is the ticket - thanks.

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #13 - 09/13/08 at 19:12:12

ero4444 wrote on 09/05/08 at 09:45:21:
Point taken about the "least stolen" aspect.  My local thieves aren't that smart though.  

I like the bike and it's the most expensive toy I have, so I've been locking a heavy duty 3-foot armored cable through the rear over the seat.

Thanks - I'll let you know if I have more info

That's similar to what I do. If a professional thief wants your bike, it's gone. I do what I do for the ameteurs. I don't trust disk locks. On the savage, removal of the front wheel is fairly easy. Even with the cable through the rear though, it wouldn't take more than two burly fellows to hoist it up into a truck or van. Ultimately,it's about not being a target. Make 'em look for easier pickin's Wink

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 23:23:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › bought a 2001 without steering lock key

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!