Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Removing Stickers (Read 255 times)
Mattdw

Frisco, TX
Removing Stickers
09/04/08 at 12:26:09

All,

I have a '96 with the tank sticker seemingly UNDER the clearcoat. Is there some magical way to remove these not requiring the whole tank to be sanded and re-clearcoated?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Removing Stickers
Reply #1 - 09/04/08 at 12:44:11

Nope, you can get the warning stickers and side plate 650 stickers, but the tank emblems are under clear...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
07S40rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Murfreesboro, TN
Reply #2 - 09/04/08 at 13:57:56

One thought would be to paint over the logo with some decorative dealeo, flames, classic oval etc..   A pro paint shop should be able to do a nice job for not too much $$

Something like this, without the branding of course is what I am talking about.

http://www.made-in-china.com/image/2f0j00PWaQLDEcjtGNM/Motorcycle-JL150-13-.jpg

"One mans McGoofy is another mans McCuff - its like pure magic in a yellow rubber gadget!"
  IP Logged
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #3 - 09/05/08 at 05:09:12

I have a 97 and wanted to do the same thing  :'(
Guess that wont be happening anytime soon.

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Reply #4 - 09/05/08 at 16:03:22

Forget about the clear coat.  It's still no problem.  Get a heat gun/hair dryer/direct sun for a couple of hours, and a something softer than the paint, but still hard enough to peel the sticker.  I used my debit card.  Some other folks have used wooden dow rods cut off at 45 degree angle.  Heat up the sticker and start peeling.  Mine came off in about 25 minuets.  A good coat of wax and you'll never know they were there!

Red '97, cone filter, 150 main, 52.5 Pilot, half spacer, Screaming Eagle turnout, 17/43 chain drive, shield, de-badged, 4" forward control extensions. Gettin' there.
  IP Logged
Snowbum
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oklahoma City
Reply #5 - 10/06/08 at 12:56:42

eanon wrote on 09/05/08 at 16:03:22:
Forget about the clear coat.  It's still no problem.  Get a heat gun/hair dryer/direct sun for a couple of hours, and a something softer than the paint, but still hard enough to peel the sticker.  I used my debit card.  Some other folks have used wooden dow rods cut off at 45 degree angle.  Heat up the sticker and start peeling.  Mine came off in about 25 minuets.  A good coat of wax and you'll never know they were there!

When you did this, was there any fading of the old paint to where it was noticable?

Scott

snowbum78   IP Logged
Bear

Electrical Engineer
- Retired - Ridin'
for 43 yrs

Central Washington State
Reply #6 - 10/06/08 at 16:18:01

On my 2008, I got the tank sticker off with my thumbnail and a little solvent.  No damage. it was not under clearcoat on my S40.

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #7 - 10/06/08 at 19:57:40

I have a 2008 also. I put Goo Gone on the label and let it soak. I then used a plastic snow scraper ( it  has a sharp plastic edge) to scrape off the sticker. It takes time and patience but I finally got it all off. There was still some glue residue left. I found a good clean terry cloth rag and used gasoline as a solvent to clean off the residue. This also took some time and patience. They meant for that sticker to say on!!!

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Snowbum
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oklahoma City
Reply #8 - 10/07/08 at 06:33:01

My 03' has the stickers under the clear coat from what I can tell.  If I can get over my worry there will be some fading in my paint, I will try the hair dryer over the sticker trick and use some wax polish after.

snowbum78   IP Logged
rockman
YaBB Newbies

The airbrush
guy......WHO ATE MY
CHICKEN!!!

Houston Texas
Reply #9 - 12/19/08 at 07:34:54

For those who labels are under the clear, use 2000 grit wetsandpaper. Get a bowl of warm water with lots of soap. Dip the paper in the water and sand in one direction very lightly. Once you fell the labels, peel them off with what you have and once ther gone, wetsand till everything is smooth. I mean very lightly......once your done, get some rubbing compound and rub your ass off!!!!
Buff it out, and your good to go.

And when I describe lighty, get a piece of paper and rub it on a table, that's how little pressure you need, and remember, use lots of soap and water, if starts to dry up, squirt more water on it, do not do this dry by anymeans! Cheesy
Later

WWW   IP Logged
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Reply #10 - 12/20/08 at 07:35:23

No fading yet, and it's been just about a year since I did it.

Red '97, cone filter, 150 main, 52.5 Pilot, half spacer, Screaming Eagle turnout, 17/43 chain drive, shield, de-badged, 4" forward control extensions. Gettin' there.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:36:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Removing Stickers

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.