Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Who's runnin a S.E. II slash cut (Read 439 times)
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Who's runnin a S.E. II slash cut
09/04/08 at 10:10:44

Hello all, I just got an S.E. II (slash cut) and am curious as to what is required to install on my 97 savage? Do i need to fab a bracket to secure to frame mount or an extension of any kind? I would also like to see if any of you have any opinions on the ideal jets to use with this exhaust and the K&N air filter. Lancers kit arrived in the mail today so I'm ready to go after some feed back from all of you.

Thanks in advance to all who can help me.

Sincerely
NewThumperGuy

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
daweise1

Old school, new
school, I cheated in
both.....

Pataskala (Cols.) Ohio
Re: Who's runnin a S.E. II slash cut
Reply #1 - 09/04/08 at 11:27:00

I am running a Black Dyna slash cut SE II right now on my bike and it bolted up without an issue, besides getting the new metric bolts for the muffler.... If you can get the old ones off your a better mechanic than me... As far as jets, and were to start.... Look at many of Lancer's posting for guidance, but each bike is it's own "savage." What works on mine in my enviroment may blow yours up..... You will just have to play with it looking for the "sweet spot."

Dyna SE II Black muffler, HD Touring tank(6gals), Pingel petcock, HD Heel rest, Custom handlebars(Rock Chops), Adjure Flamed Headlight with spotlights, HD Flamed Signals, Oldys Gangster Fenders, Paint
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 09/04/08 at 12:41:04

Screaming Eagle is a Harley performance brand.  Depending on which model Harley the muffler was made for , will depend on whether it bolts right up or not.  

Many of the Dyna's bolt up.   Some Sportsters require work.   Road King's, Heritage Soft-tail's, Fat Boy's etc etc require work.

Do you know what model SE II you have????

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #3 - 09/04/08 at 14:05:53

Thanks daweise1 for the info.

T Mack 1, I went in asking for Dyna and he found the pair of Eagle II's just as I mentioned using exhaust off a sporster.
The only #'s on it are on the bracket itself. (80349 00RA)
I can tell you that the bolt size is smaller on the S.E. and the distance between bolts is only about an inch compared to the 2 1/2 - 3 " on the savage stock so I found when I looked closer once I got home.
There are also a pair of rivets that hold in the baffles located behind the slash cut.
Sorry all thats all I can tell you. But from what I can see some sort of fab will need done. Just have to figure out the easiest, most effective way to do so.

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 09/04/08 at 18:26:20

NewThumperGuy wrote on 09/04/08 at 14:05:53:
Thanks daweise1 for the info.

T Mack 1, I went in asking for Dyna and he found the pair of Eagle II's just as I mentioned using exhaust off a sporster.
The only #'s on it are on the bracket itself. (80349 00RA)
I can tell you that the bolt size is smaller on the S.E. and the distance between bolts is only about an inch compared to the 2 1/2 - 3 " on the savage stock so I found when I looked closer once I got home.
There are also a pair of rivets that hold in the baffles located behind the slash cut.
Sorry all thats all I can tell you. But from what I can see some sort of fab will need done. Just have to figure out the easiest, most effective way to do so.

Dyna...  should be easy semi-bolt up but some people add a slightly angled pipe to steer the exhaust gases away from the rear brake arm.  Just saw pict's of that posted (bobber thread).  I'm not so sure I like the change in angle in the lines of the exhaust.

The bracket on the muffler should align with one of the factory mount holes.  Since the Dyna is much lighter than the stock, one will work fine.    You will need to get a thin sheet of metal (approx 2"x6") to use at the slide on section. The Dyna is 1 3/4", but the LS650 uses metric pipes so there is a small gap.

---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/04/08 at 20:16:04

a sheet od 0.010" thick aluminum plate frome home depot fixed me up

IP Logged
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #6 - 09/05/08 at 05:01:02

I am so glad I found this site and that it is filled with such knowledgable and experienced riders.

T Mack 1... ty ty ty ty... you have been a huge help.

buttgoat1... ty also, very helpfull info.

So avoid exhaust on the rear brake arm??? I did notice when I set the S.E. beside the stock the slash cut did angle upwards a little. I was thinking a bracket with a little twist to level it out. Opinions???

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #7 - 09/05/08 at 06:16:31

NewThumperGuy wrote on 09/05/08 at 05:01:02:
I

So avoid exhaust on the rear brake arm??? I did notice when I set the S.E. beside the stock the slash cut did angle upwards a little. I was thinking a bracket with a little twist to level it out. Opinions???

The issue of exhaust on brake is soot/dirt.  Doesn't look pretty.  Huh

If you angle the bracket, you need to angle the inlet to the muffler.  It slides on and doesn't have much play.
I posted some pict's of my SE Clone turn-out.  It gives you a good idea of what I'm talking about.

see: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?;action=display;num=1190410150

---
  IP Logged
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #8 - 09/05/08 at 06:48:49

Thanks again T Mack, your pipe looks similar, mine just doesn't "turn out" like yours. The bracket photo does look the same as mine I'm happy to say. Should have taken a couple photos for everyone to view probably would have made it easier for replies.

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
daweise1

Old school, new
school, I cheated in
both.....

Pataskala (Cols.) Ohio
Reply #9 - 09/05/08 at 06:58:19

I will post new day pics of mine up when I get home.... My Dyna SE II lined up without any plates at all using the existing holes..... Check about 6:00 EST, I will post to this thread....

Dyna SE II Black muffler, HD Touring tank(6gals), Pingel petcock, HD Heel rest, Custom handlebars(Rock Chops), Adjure Flamed Headlight with spotlights, HD Flamed Signals, Oldys Gangster Fenders, Paint
  IP Logged
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #10 - 09/05/08 at 07:52:29

Thanks, will do. Every bit of help I can get is greatly appreciated.

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #11 - 09/05/08 at 09:16:00

I should update my photo's.... I replaced the factory heat sheild with one simialr to what Vtail shows, only a bit longer.  Got two on eBay for $9.99 + S&H.   So no home made thing to attach the OEM H.S.

T.M.

---
  IP Logged
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #12 - 09/06/08 at 04:06:59

daweise1 what happened to those pics? Get to busy to post? I would still like to see if possible.

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #13 - 09/07/08 at 04:55:42

Anything else I need to know or any more tips?

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #14 - 03/21/09 at 06:57:29

Finally had the work done! Sounds great!!  Grin Nice and mean in my opinion. It bolted on directly with the single bolt. I still have some backfires so some more adjusting of the mix screw is required. Still a little rich I think.
I think I will have an exhaust extension w/ 10 degree bend made up to eliminate the soot on the rear brake lever as suggested.
Can anyone recommend a new heat sheild for my new pipe??

Amazing the difference the K&N cone filter, jets and exhaust made to the bikes performance. Before I found it fought to reach 135 km/hr, now it still screams for more at 160 km/hr!!!!!!! Wont be trying that again any time soon though!  Shocked

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:24:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Who's runnin a S.E. II slash cut

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.