Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Half of 5th gear? Well... it works, for now (Read 94 times)
Brad_THMP3R

Fighting for Iraqs
Freedom

Hampton Roads, Va
Half of 5th gear? Well... it works, for now
09/03/08 at 19:37:43

So we all have that waskaly 5th that only goes in if you put a bit of up BEFORE the shift sequence right? so has anyone had any long term damage from riding it in 5th with it "feeling" like it only goes half way into gear?
BTW on a diff note, OldFeller, I made your filter last weekend and it works wonderful!

Jardine slashcut - oldfeller filter - 52 pilot, 152 main - no spacer - ngk iridium plug - olive drab paint - no head covers - respect brotha! I'll eat you!
WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Half of 5th gear? Well... it works, for now
Reply #1 - 09/03/08 at 21:23:23

Im almost never certain Im in 5th unless I feel it clunk through the false neutral position. If I don't feel that I just assume it didnt shift and try to shift up again. Sometimes it turns out Im still in 4th, sometimes I've already made it to 5th.

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #2 - 09/04/08 at 03:51:17

Other than not getting that satisfying "clunk" when shifting through the other gears, I've never had a problem with 5th. "George just lucky I guess."

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
savageguy
YaBB Newbies

Newb

Reply #3 - 09/04/08 at 06:29:29

Sometimes I get that "satisfying" (as another member said) clunk from shifting into 5th, sometimes I don't.  When I first had the Savage, I was real worried it was only halfway into 5th gear like you're saying.  I think it just slips into 5th later, without the clunk, because if I try to shift again it's definitely locked into 5th gear.  There's no getting it higher.

So I stopped worrying about it.  Been riding the bike daily for over 3 months without issue (regarding the gears, had a few other minor nits but no biggie).

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/04/08 at 09:00:54

I just make sure the firm upwards thrust of my foot is still there at the moment of clutch release. I had an old suzuki GS with 6 gears, same thing. 6th seemed slapped on there, as though it never belonged in the gearbox. I developed a habit of holding the pressure even slightly after I release clutch. It always worked for me. It's not racer-snappy but - hey, you're in 5th, cruise just started Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 05:18:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Half of 5th gear? Well... it works, for now

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.