Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Windshield preferences? (Read 712 times)
up4fishin
Ex Member

Windshield preferences?
09/03/08 at 17:57:47

I'm new to cycling and already convinced I want to try a windshield.  I'm 5' 9" on a good day, so I'm sure that matters.  A lot of the posts on this site are by people a bit taller than I am, so I'm not sure what works for them will work for me.  Would an OEM windshield work well, or is something else preferable?  I see they come in many heights, commonly 15-18".  Which is best for someone who will be taking mostly short trips under 65mph?  Comments on widths?  Anything I've missed?  Thanks!

IP Logged
ChrisSavage
YaBB Newbies

Lazy Bones

Columbus, OH
Re: Windshield preferences?
Reply #1 - 09/03/08 at 18:20:00

I have an OEM windshield on my Savage and it is SO much nicer than none. I'll take my bike any day over my dad's for the windshield alone. (Not to mention I like the bars and seat better on my '01 than his '07)

I'm not sure what size it is exactly, I'll let you know if I can find out, but I'd recommend it for sure. Try checking the classifieds here if you want one that's less than full price for trial purposes.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 09/03/08 at 18:20:07

I say any windshield that has handlebars behind it instead of a steering wheel is a darn good windshield to be looking thru. Smarty aleck answers aside, I havent put one on the savage yet, but had one on a Guzzi & liked the small shield fine. It knocked the pressure off the chest, so I wasnt holding on at 80 to keep from being blown off. If its a cold climate, I would want a bigger shield, to hide behind better. In hot climes, I would want the smallest windshield I could get that would be big ebnough to knock the wind off the chest & chin, allowing the wind to hit in the visor area.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
up4fishin
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/03/08 at 18:27:55

good points so far--thanks for the quick replies.  more details from my end--fair weather driving only, and probably won't be driving much in the cold weather.

IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #4 - 09/03/08 at 18:29:05

If those short trips are in cold weather, it doesn't matter how fast(slow) you're going - every 10mph you will subtract about 5f degrees in  wind chill.  50f degree day at 40mph? yep, it will feel like 30f degrees.  

A larger, wider shield will keep you warm and dry in the fall, and will add about 30 days to your riding season.

I have 2 shields - the stock suzuki, and a large plexifaring. I use the stock shield from may-September, and switch over to the plexifairing just in time for Oktoberfest.

When selecting a shield, make sure you can see over it. I can't see over the larger shield, and I have trouble making things out at night as the oncoming headlights glare up the shield.

Windshields  offer a great comfort:
- No more wind buffeting.
- Reduced wind noise.
- Bug and pebble protection for the face.
- Warmer rides.
- Dryer rides. If it's drizzling, the shield will knock the rain away - it's an amazing effect.

The only downside is that they MUST be cleaned - if your shield is dirty, everybody will notice, especially you.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 09/03/08 at 18:42:59

Personal experience only but, a small windshield is good for keeping you on the bike at speed and letting you relax your grip,... if you want to keep the wind off your face, get the biggest sucker you can stand to look at.  The in-between sizes have always caused an really annoying head buffeting that is much worse than no shield at all (imagine someone playing bongo drums on the forehead area of your helmet).  
I've ridden on 40 or 50 bikes with shields over the years, and overall I prefer none.  I'm 5'-8'.
If you can,.. try riding a friends bike with a shield first, it might help you decide.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 09/03/08 at 18:54:10

I've always had big windshields, To me more relaxing and you don't have to hold on so tight.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #7 - 09/03/08 at 19:10:38

It would be nice if some of the guys put their height and the height of their windshields Smiley

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 09/03/08 at 19:15:21

5 6 windshield 1 inch below eyes

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #9 - 09/03/08 at 19:31:45

this is what a 21" memphis fats looks like. I'm 5'7" and can just barely see over the top of it if I'm sitting straight up in the seat. I like it alot.
AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #10 - 09/03/08 at 20:22:16

up4fishin wrote on 09/03/08 at 17:57:47:
I'm new to cycling and already convinced I want to try a windshield.  I'm 5' 9" on a good day... mostly short trips under 65mph?  
I'm 5'9" on bad days.  On good days a bit shorter as I'm sitting on the Savage.

I have two windscreens, neither mounted at this time.

The first is the National Cycle Flyscreen:  http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/cycle/N2530?

(My bike's on the left)

9" high, 9.75" wide, looks to be mere decoration.  It blocks a remarkable amount of air, mostly from mid chest down, reducing the pressure of the wind trying to shove you backward off the seat, yet leaves that wind in the face freedom.  Goggles highly recomended.   The flyscreen is my screen of choice for cool weather.  However, on my first Mojave Moonlight Madness I ran into 30 mph headwinds returning on I-10 which made anything above 60 approach painfull unless I crouched cafe style behind the flyscreen, which made 75 comfy as to wind, but painful as to position.

My second screen is the National Cycle Street Shield:  http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/cycle/N2560?

A mid sized screen, 17" tall, 16.5" wide, mine mounts with the top of the screen around mustache level.  Airflow hits me just about at the hairline.  On the second Mojave Moonlight Madness I met the same headwind on the return, but this time I could maintain 75 while sitting normally.  This screen was worn on my 2700 mile tour.  It blocks enough wind that you can ride without any other eye protection.  This one gets mounted in COLD weather.  It blocks those icy fingers that slip in around the neckline and down the chest.

WWW   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #11 - 09/04/08 at 06:11:49

Paladin is bang-on in his assesment of the 2 windshields he owns ... I have exact same 2 and concur. Currently have the Flyscreen mounted and leave the handlebar mounts for the Streetshield in place so I can quickly install or remove it ... can actually leave the Flyscreen in place with the Streetshield on (S.S. installs behind the F.S.!), so there's no hassle with having to remove the Flyscreen!

BTW, I'm 5'-5" on a good day! LOL!!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
ChrisSavage
YaBB Newbies

Lazy Bones

Columbus, OH
Reply #12 - 09/04/08 at 06:36:55

Well, height is such a fussy thing... My doc told me I was 5' 7" but measuring myself (and against my 6' brother) tell me I'm more like 5' 9" or 10"... Go figure!

I don't have one of the huge shields though. I still get wind to the face and it's nice. I just don't get the wind knocked out of me going fast.  Grin

IP Logged
ChrisSavage
YaBB Newbies

Lazy Bones

Columbus, OH
Reply #13 - 09/04/08 at 06:37:46

ChrisSavage wrote on 09/04/08 at 06:36:55:
Well, height is such a fussy thing... My doc told me I was 5' 7" but measuring myself (and against my 6' brother) tell me I'm more like 5' 9" or 10"... Go figure!

I don't have one of the huge shields though. (It's probably a smaller OEM one cause I've seen larger?) I still get wind to the face and it's nice. I just don't get the wind knocked out of me going fast.  Grin

IP Logged
DJM

'06 Red S40

Encinitas CA
Reply #14 - 09/04/08 at 08:40:18

I have a National cycle Dakota windshield.  At 17.5" high, I can still see over it, but it really cuts the wind. I am 5'8" tall.  I wanted to install the suzuki factory screen, but they were back ordered and I got tired of waiting for it.  

I wear a full face helmet, and the air over the top of the screen hits the face shield of the helmet, which enhances the airflow through the  vents.  I no longer feel like I am about to be blown off the bike over 50 mph. Installation was quick and easy. Height can be adjusted about 1" up or down. The angle is not adjustable, but it seems to be fine as is.

http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/cycle/NC125A?mv_session_id=229mtRAn&search...

Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 08:35:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Windshield preferences?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.