Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Windshield preferences? (Read 712 times)
Birdmove
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Keaau, Hawaii usa
Re: Windshield preferences?
Reply #30 - 09/22/08 at 19:04:13

I don't own a Savage/S40 yet, but have three other thumpers. Recently, when I was at the Vashon TT, I saw a nice Sportster with a great looking fairing on it.I had to do some research to find out what the heck it was, and had never seen one like it before. It was a small windscreen, very compact and unobtrusive, that looked great to me. I am convinced it was the Slipstreamer Tombstone clear wind shield. I think I may get one for my Royal Enfield Bullet, and could use it on my XT225.

jon

jon neet
JJNeet1   IP Logged
up4fishin
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 09/28/08 at 11:10:44

Ok, I've finally got the windshield installed.  As a reminder, I'm 5-9 and it's a National cycle Dakota windshield (17.5" high).  It was a bit of a challenge to install and center, but I finally got there.  HINT: don't try to center the screen based on the distance between the screen edges and the outside of the handles.  After several tries at centering, I finally figured that out and went off the bolts at the top of the fork.  

It's rained 3 straight days here, so I've only managed a quick 10 minute ride.  It definitely cuts the wind, so I'm happy.  This screen is as tall as I would want.  I'm glad I did not go with a bigger one.

Here are the pics, as promised!  

IP Logged
troglobil

'08 S40

Winder, GA
Reply #32 - 09/29/08 at 04:59:13

Thanks, those are the shots I've been looking for. How far up on you is the top of the screen? I think this is the one I want.
Bil

IP Logged
up4fishin
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 09/29/08 at 11:49:19

I can easily see over it when sitting up straight--it hits about chin (or maybe mouth) high.  I have 3/4" upward play left, and about 1/2" down.  I will probably move it down just a bit to let more wind hit my helmet for max ventilation.  I'll try to get somebody to take a pic with me sitting on it within the next day or two.

IP Logged
troglobil

'08 S40

Winder, GA
Reply #34 - 09/29/08 at 15:30:43

I orderred one today, should have it in about a week.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #35 - 09/29/08 at 18:02:18

For those wanting more coverage, the National Cycle PlexiFairing will fit.  A picture of one on my buddy's 500 Shadow:

It looks like he may have dropped the bike, as the broken windscreen mounts are still there while the shield is firmly attached with Lacing Twine.

« Last Edit: 06/12/11 at 13:57:53 by Paladin. »  
WWW   IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #36 - 09/29/08 at 20:37:55

I have and like the Enterprise ii fairing by( Slipstreamer?)  I like that it covers my hands which get cold in the N.E. fall and spring.  enjoy your fairing and ride safe.

IP Logged
troglobil

'08 S40

Winder, GA
Reply #37 - 10/02/08 at 12:04:13

Well, my 3mm Dakota came in. I put it on and went for a ride, to my suprise, I felt a lot more wind and head buffeting than I do with the Suzuki OEM windscreen. Adjusted up and down a little. Took it off and returned it. oh well, it was 47° this morning and I was warm enough. I guess I'll leave well enough alone.

IP Logged
up4fishin
Ex Member

Reply #38 - 10/02/08 at 14:15:58

wow--that is hard to believe.  it's over 2" taller and I believe just as wide.  i've not tried the OEM screen, so I'll have to take your word for it!  hope the return was issue-free!  Undecided

IP Logged
troglobil

'08 S40

Winder, GA
Reply #39 - 10/02/08 at 14:51:22

The only thing I can figure is that the angle is different so it affects the air flow. I moved my hand around to feel airflow. It seems that more is coming up from the bottom of the wind screen. I did several swaps and test rides with both windscreens  to be sure I wasn't imagining things or just getting odd cross winds today. I guess the hight and angle combined to but the wind at just the wrong spot on my helmet. The only other time I have had buffetting like this is when I was behind a Semi and getting all his turbulance.
Oh well instead I spent the money on a verslavy cam-tensioner.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 10:28:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Windshield preferences?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.