Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Windshield preferences? (Read 712 times)
07S40rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Murfreesboro, TN
Re: Windshield preferences?
Reply #15 - 09/04/08 at 09:00:24

I am 5'10" and have the National Cycle Streetshield as well.  It was more of a pain to install than I like, but now that I have it on I really like it.  Prior to installing the streetshield, anything over 60mph for more than a few minutes caused serious shoulder cramps from hanging on.

"One mans McGoofy is another mans McCuff - its like pure magic in a yellow rubber gadget!"
  IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #16 - 09/04/08 at 11:17:43

I'm barely 5' 7" and I have an OEM windscreen on an '06:

It's much nicer than not having one since I don't need a death-grip to go highway speeds.  My only complaint is the screen push the wind stream just high enough it makes the top vent on my helmet whistle a lot more.  That being said, I'm much rather have it.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
nhgader
YaBB Newbies

O2BME

Alton, NH
Reply #17 - 09/04/08 at 16:28:38

I have the Suzuki windshield and like it a lot. It keeps the wind and pressure off my body but still lets in enough that I feel like I'm "outdoors". It was easy to install and I like the fact that it mounts to the forks for good stability. I am only 5'5" and understand that some taller riders might not think it has enough coverage. I rode for a while with no shield and now that I have one, I don't know why I waited. Good luck!

2009 Silver S40- Stock
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #18 - 09/04/08 at 18:31:08

I have a very old Slipstreamer that I got from my old bike. It's formed plexiglass.   It covers the hands which allows my to ride to work when it's cool out (50 deg F).

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 09/04/08 at 20:09:55

I have a medium sized slipstreamer, 14-1/2" wide x 18" tall with a headlight cutout.  It has universal mounts and I have the top 19" above the headlight at about the same rake as the forks.  I get just a bit more wind in the face than I like at that height (I am 5'-8").  I had it adjusted more vertical and it deflected more air but did not like the look.  The top of the shield has a more pointy shape  rather than blunt or round, I like that.  I plan on cutting a piece of lexan or plexiglass 2" taller (approximately 1" taller and 1" lower) with a similar blade shape and using the same mounts.

IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #20 - 09/05/08 at 04:20:19

I've got the Memphis Shades Classic Deuce. 19" above headlight. I'm 6'2 and I have no issues with wind buffeting and the top of the windshield is aligned with the base of my nose. The angle is tipped a few degrees more perpendicular than the rake angle of the forks.

In the first pic you can see how simple it is to install to the handlebars. Took less than 15 minutes total.  In the second pic you can see the vertical height and angle,. This is a critical and personal adjustment to suit each rider.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #21 - 09/05/08 at 04:44:29

I'm using the Slipstreamer Sportshield.  As I recall, it's 21 inches tall.  Beats the dickens out of my head and thumps my eardrums.  Now that it's 40 degrees farenheit in the mornings, I'm glad I have it.  But it will likely come off next summer.  I'm 6'3".

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
up4fishin
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 09/06/08 at 03:10:11

Follow up from original poster:
From what I've been able to tell the OEM screen is 15", tinted, and works well for 5-5" to 5-7" riders.  [Some] people slightly taller complain of head buffetting.  Others like the wind on their heads.  since I'm 5-9" (on a "bad" day--see, I can learn) I figured a shield a couple inches taller would work best.  I ordered the NC Dakota NC125A (17.5") for $100 including shipping.  Hopefully it will be here next week.  I'll update this thread with the verdict and hopefully a pic.  Thanks!  Smiley
--up4fishin

IP Logged
troglobil

'08 S40

Winder, GA
Reply #23 - 09/17/08 at 13:56:20

Hey up4fishin, I,m looking at the same windshield. Can you post a picture and your thoughts on this one.

IP Logged
DJM

'06 Red S40

Encinitas CA
Reply #24 - 09/17/08 at 14:10:44

http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/cycle/NC125A?mv_session_id=229mtRAn&search...

Here it is. I am very happy with it, although it does make a slight whistle at about 50mph.

I ordered mine through "cycle gear" and they had it within 3 days. Install was a snap, and quality was reasonable for $100.

Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
  IP Logged
up4fishin
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 09/17/08 at 16:37:53

I'd love to post a pic, but the darn thing has not arrived yet.    :'( Two problems--I'm on the east coast and the company I bought it from is on the west coast AND they had an "unexpected delay" in shipping.  The latest expected date to my door is next Tuesday.  I'll be shopping at a different website next time--the $25 or so savings was not worth a two week wait!  Looks like DJM posted a pic above, though.  Hopefully I'll have one soon!  Grin

IP Logged
troglobil

'08 S40

Winder, GA
Reply #26 - 09/18/08 at 08:38:35

I would still like to see a picture of in on our bike, so I can see the angle that it sits. Also it would be good to see where it hits the rider, I'm 5'8" . I have the OEM shield and want one that is taller and wider.

IP Logged
DJM

'06 Red S40

Encinitas CA
Reply #27 - 09/18/08 at 08:59:46

I plan on posting a picture of my S40 "One of these days". Until then,
the angle of the shield is directly in line with the forks.

I am 5'7", and can easily see over the top. It probably hits me about chin level.

Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #28 - 09/18/08 at 09:50:36

Let's see - I'm 6' 0" tall. Turn ons are . . . .

Wait, that's a different topic. I have the big NationalCycle fairing type windscreen on mine. Well, I did until a big rig blew the bike over and broke one of the bottom sections off while I was parked by the side of the road making a phone call. I like it so much that I took my band saw and cut/melted the other bottom leg off and still have it on the bike. Eventually it'll get replaced, but for now it blocks the wind  from the waist or so up. In it's original form it pretty much keeps you dry from the knees up as long as you keep moving. My only complaint with their product is that they ship with 3/4" clamps so you have to pay an ungodly amount for 1" clamps (they don't substitute) AND they're plastic.

http://bikepics.com/members/jazzcarter/00savage/

Jack

IP Logged
firetruckredbike
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 09/18/08 at 09:56:28

Here is my Thumpster with his Memphis Shades Pop Top, fade-to-red to match his merry fire engine self. Kiss   (My husband and I are volunteer firefighters / EMT's, so Thump *had* to be red.)

The Pop Top is 16" tall and this one has a 7" diameter hole cutout for the headlight.   This fits me very well.  I am 5'7" and have a 32" inseam.  The shield causes a bit of head buffetting at high speeds but frankly I have gotten used to it and like the fresh air entering my ff helmet.

Before the windshield, I used to fear being ripped from the bike by the wind.  Grin  We ride a lot on wide open country roads and there is a lot of wind from any direction.  The shield has made a HUGE difference in the comfort of my ride and in my ability to relax.

Ride safe,
Amy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 10:27:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Windshield preferences?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.