Underseat Storage? (Read 333 times)
motokid
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Underseat Storage?
Reply #15 - 09/04/08 at 11:33:14

cowspotter wrote on 09/04/08 at 11:16:30:
Yeah, you definitely need a copy of the title. Ever tried to get to DMV to issue a replacement title? Kind of a pain. I'm not too concerned about that one happening.

It's probably a local law. Where I live, Canada, AB, all it takes is to sign and rip half of your registration, hand it to the new owner and the sale is legit. I'm not saying that one could go all the way through and get clean ownership of the bike. But it is easy enough to steal it and sell it to anyone. Then, when unsuspecting buyer goes to the registries (I'm assuming it is your DMV) to register it into his name, the hell breaks loose (assuming it has been reported stolen), but it is usually too late.

Point is, why make it easier on the thief and also involve another innocent victim if you don't have to.

K

IP Logged
daweise1

Old school, new
school, I cheated in
both.....

Pataskala (Cols.) Ohio
Reply #16 - 09/04/08 at 11:48:02

I look at it this way... I'm already mad that my bike was stolen, but if it has papers on it, I stand a better shot it is one piece when I get it back... But I live in Ohio too..... If there are no papers on the bike, they can't sell it whole, it becomes parts on eBay or craiglist and I never see it or them again.

Dyna SE II Black muffler, HD Touring tank(6gals), Pingel petcock, HD Heel rest, Custom handlebars(Rock Chops), Adjure Flamed Headlight with spotlights, HD Flamed Signals, Oldys Gangster Fenders, Paint
  IP Logged
07S40rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Murfreesboro, TN
Reply #17 - 09/04/08 at 13:47:19

motokid wrote on 09/04/08 at 10:26:27:
Do you guys realize that, once someone has your motorcycle and registration, they can sell the bike in what appears to be legal transaction and run with the money. Not to mention, they have all your personal info.

K

This is no different from your car.   Also, they might steal the bike and have the title, but they still won't have a ignition key.  Ever tried selling a vehicle with no key?  Ever tried going to get a new key for a vehicle where the name on the title doesn't match your own?  Not impossible, but certainly not easy.  This is why we carry insurance.  of course, if you ALWAYS wear the same riding gear (jacket etc..) then you can easily leave the title/reg in the jacket pocket so that when you get stopped by a cop you will have it.  Having a backup copy of the Title and Registration information is good practice all the way around.

"One mans McGoofy is another mans McCuff - its like pure magic in a yellow rubber gadget!"
  IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 09/04/08 at 20:57:37

I carry my papers in my wallet...I rather not chance leaving them.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #19 - 09/04/08 at 21:10:07

Both Alaska and Washington require a title for a change of ownership, they can come up with the registration information if needed. The title is supposed to be kept in a safe place until needed for change of ownership. Also they are very strict on where it is signed and a missing signature can cause all kinds of hassles. That happened with the side car purchase, managed to fix it but it was looking like another round trip to Seattle to get a signature. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #20 - 09/04/08 at 21:48:26

I have mine laminated and stored in the tool box.  In Maryland, you must have the actual title signed by both parties in order to complete the sale.  Never keep the title on the vehicle.  On an actual sale, the seller is responsible for removing the tags and turning them in along with the registration.  Fun huh, glad I bought my bike from my neighbor, made it real easy to get the bike home.  Oh, and one more thing, here in Maryland, in order to title it , you must have insurance and it must have passed Maryland inspection, and that is only good for 30 days.

If my bike gets stolen, my insurance gives me a big fat check, and I have a down payment on a new scoot!!!!

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 09/04/08 at 23:33:55

Underseat storage? Not really much room under there, BUT, someone who really wanted to carry something small & be sure it was inconspicuous, that would be a great spot. Now, what MIGHT a person want to take with them, out, away from the house, small, that NEEDS to be inconspicuous? Let me think.. I got it,, No, No,, I Almost had it, then, it slipped away,, owell, who cares? I think I need a snack,,,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #22 - 09/04/08 at 23:40:31

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/04/08 at 23:33:55:
Underseat storage? Not really much room under there, BUT, someone who really wanted to carry something small & be sure it was inconspicuous, that would be a great spot. Now, what MIGHT a person want to take with them, out, away from the house, small, that NEEDS to be inconspicuous? Let me think.. I got it,, No, No,, I Almost had it, then, it slipped away,, owell, who cares? I think I need a snack,,,,

But how would you get to it in a hurry, if the situation required it?

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #23 - 09/05/08 at 04:52:47

With my luck, I'd decide to store the wrench I use to remove the seat under there. Smiley

I carry all of my paper work at the bottom of a saddle bag, where I'm sure it has probably turned to illegible mush by now.  The cop isn't likely to look at your registration anyway.  It's easier just to check it against the state's computer files.  He is going to do that whether you give him the paper or not.  In Montana, insurance is not required.  While I am carrying it, I don't have to prove it.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 12:27:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Underseat Storage?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.