Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Down for a while! Back up again! (Read 624 times)
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Re: Down for a while! You're not going to believe
Reply #30 - 09/02/08 at 20:30:51

Now this is going to sound stupid, but why-oh-why is that plug there in the first place???
What is it's function?
NEVER MIND

It's for access to another bolt.
Not too clever if you ask me

I looked at the diagrams on Bikebandit, but can't seem to locate the philips head screw I messed up. The one that holds the solenoid cable bracket to the engine.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #31 - 09/03/08 at 09:29:29

SW you should be able to find that screw locally as it isn't very special. Take it with you to ACE or whatever you have there and match it. If they only have one too long, hacksaw it to length. The pear shaped o-ring goes in the cavity on the lower right corner of the top picture. It is important as there is pressurized oil coming up around that fastener. Also there is a messed up one of the 2nd picture lower left. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #32 - 09/03/08 at 11:18:14

I'm about to put things back together but am confused about number 25 REPLACE your HEAD SEAL !!!!!!!!!!!!!
I did not see a head seal when I took the top off. (or did he mean the big plug?)
Can I use the red high temp silicone to do this?
Also exactly where do I put this silicone when putting the top back on?
Looking at the picture of Julie I see the reddish ring around the edges. I guess it's safe to put the silicone in the same places.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #33 - 09/03/08 at 11:24:33

SavageWahine wrote on 09/03/08 at 11:18:14:
I'm about to put things back together but am confused about number 25 REPLACE your HEAD SEAL !!!!!!!!!!!!!
I did not see a head seal when I took the top off. (or did he mean the big plug?)
Can I use the red high temp silicone to do this?
Also exactly where do I put this silicone when putting the top back on?
Looking at the picture of Julie I see the reddish ring around the edges. I guess it's safe to put the silicone in the same places.
http://suzukisavage.com/images/uploaded/JMD04Repair01web.jpg

I think the 25 is for full head replacement.   You only had the cover off so the Red High Temp stuff is fine.  Make sure surfaces are oil free.

Also gook up the plug with red stuff.

Also,  check the torque on the head bolts.  (torque wrench required, ((borrow one???)))

Also.... there is an o-ring for an oil passage.  It gets pushed  in an odd shaped opening and becomes oblong.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #34 - 09/03/08 at 11:37:45

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 09/03/08 at 11:24:33:
Also.... there is an o-ring for an oil passage.  It gets pushed  in an odd shaped opening and becomes oblong.

I take it you are talking about the one going in the corner. almost a figure 8 one.
the one on the bottom left right?

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #35 - 09/03/08 at 11:48:04

SW, use a minimal amount of the sealer, if too much is there, it can be pushed out into the head space and fall off and down into the engine and plug up the oil pump inlet. I like to use a very short bristle brush about 3/8 wide to carefully paint a thin coat of sealer on the mating surfaces. I do put a tall not large diameter blob on top the plug that leaks to try and keep it down in place longer (just above the head surface height will do). A thin coat on the outside of the cam end plug is a good idea also. I usually use a little early on(gives it time to get tacky) to hold the pear shaped "o-ring" in the cover so it doesn't fall out as you maneuver the cover in place.  Also you said one of the top engine stay bracket bolts were not in place. You may have to loosen the lower bolts(the long ones that go through the peg supports) and the 2 in the back of the engine  and use a lever or jack to correctly reposition the engine to get the bolts in. Use some blue locktite on them. Also use a long cotton swab to soak up all the oil in the bottom of the head cover bolt holes as if there is oil in the bottom they will seat on the oil but not be clamping the cover on and loosen later. have fun, Max

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #36 - 09/03/08 at 11:50:36

Thanks Max,, you're a lifesaver!

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #37 - 09/03/08 at 13:35:44

SavageWahine wrote on 09/03/08 at 11:37:45:

I take it you are talking about the one going in the corner. almost a figure 8 one.
http://w3.bikepics.com/pics/2008%5C09%5C02%5Cbikepics-1405447-800.jpg

Yes Ma'am.......

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #38 - 09/03/08 at 14:48:35

SavageWahine when you finish yours you can do mine. I came back to the same problem.  Smiley

And I still haven't gotten the carb seen to so I'm running it on prime. It will run on prime so at least I'm not bikeless.

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #39 - 09/03/08 at 21:15:03

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 09/03/08 at 13:35:44:
SavageWahine wrote on 09/03/08 at 11:37:45:

http://w3.bikepics.com/pics/2008%5C09%5C02%5Cbikepics-1405447-800.jpg

Yes Ma'am.......

Ma'am....LOL
So Southern!!!
Thanks for the help it's been much appreciated!!  Kiss

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #40 - 09/03/08 at 21:22:45

Got the top back on, but will have to wait till tomorrow to finish. After 5PM the mosquitoes get so bad that I end up waving my arms around more then actually getting something done.
I'm also going to need more energy to loosen up all the bolts that hold the engine on, so I can jack it up and get the bolts through the top bracket.

I did hit a little SNAG  Sad
The little arm that holds the solenoid cable with the little knob on it, does not move up as much as it did before....???
So I had to slide the cable through the arm first and then mount the bracket to the engine. I wonder if that means trouble???
I did find new bolts to hold the bracket on, ands they are actually nicer then the old ones, no more phillips head but allan.
Please let me know if that little arm with the spring attached is supposed to be able to go up a lot, it only moves about 1/4 inch up now. Wonder if I jammed something when I put the head back on.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #41 - 09/03/08 at 21:39:21

The freeplay adjustment supposed to be 3 to 5mm (.12 to .20")

At TDC.

WWW   IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #42 - 09/04/08 at 11:04:51

verslagen1 wrote on 09/03/08 at 21:39:21:
The freeplay adjustment supposed to be 3 to 5mm (.12 to .20")

At TDC.

That sounds about right. Before I redid the plug it moved up about 3/4 inch. Maybe something was wrong before?

What does TDC mean?

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #43 - 09/04/08 at 11:09:57

SW
Piston at Top Dead Center.
BTDC Before TDC =typical point that ignition occurs and the other mark on the flywheel when you have the generator cover off.
ATDC. used when timing camshaft or referring to it.
BDC Bottom Dead center.

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Re: Down for a while! Back up again!
Reply #44 - 09/04/08 at 20:56:32

Thanks everyone for your help.
Got the engine jacked up enough this morning to slide the engine mount bolt on the top through, and put everything back together again.
She started right up and purrs.
I ran her in the garage for 5 minutes....no leak, and took her on a 10 minute ride....no leak.
Tomorrow is the real test, got to run to town.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 10:36:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Down for a while! Back up again!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.