Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Down for a while! Back up again! (Read 624 times)
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Down for a while! Back up again!
09/01/08 at 22:02:36

Got back from town today and noticed that my engine was covered in oil!
I just changed the oil yesterday and oil filter.
Thinking it might be the infamous oil plug thingy behind the exhaust head.
I found this thread in the tech section, but unfortunately the site with the pictures is gone.

PICTURES are at: http://photos.yahoo.com/djpennin

I saw Greg's thread but the only pic is the one of Julie holding the top of the engine.

I can follow the first part of his instructions without photos but I get lost after the red line. any suggestions?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-remove seat
-unscrew 10mm bolt on left side
-unscrew 10mm bolt on right side
-pull seat off
-remove left side cover
-remove screw
-pull off cover
-disconnect negative battery lead
-remove screw
-turn gas petcock off
-remove gas line from tank
-remove speedo cable
-unscrew from engine
-pull out speedo cable
-remove breather tube
-pull off tube from carb on right side of bike
-remove rear two 10mm bolts from rear of tank
-pull tank up and back and disconnect electrical plug
-remove left side chrome cover
-unscrew 10mm bolt from back
-unscrew 10mm bolt from front
1-use needlenose pliers to hold nut through fins
2-remove cable that goes to solenoid
3-loosen nuts that hold cable
4-pull off cable from head
5-remove spark plug wire from plug
6-remove right side chrome cover
7-unscrew 10mm bolt from back
8-unscrew 10mm bolt from front
9-slide right side chrome cover back and remove tube
10-remove chrome cover
11-unscrew solenoid left side 10mm bolt
12-slide solenoid up then replace bolt to hole solenoid up
13-this gets the solenoid just far enough out of the way to reach screws below
14-disconnect solenoid plug
15-remove 10mm bolts from head cover
16-DO NOT REMOVE THE BOLT that is on the right side
closest to where you removed the big tube
17-remove the bolts in a orderly fasion from one side
to the other to even the stress on the head cover
18-dont forget the 10mm bolt that are under the valve timing cover
19-dont forget the other 10mm bolt under the other cover as well
20-remove the engine mount
21-unscrew the three 12mm bolts
22-remove cover
23-pull off head cover
24-clean any sealant that is on head cover
25-REPLACE your HEAD SEAL !!!!!!!!!!!!!
26-apply sealant to your head cover
27-NOTE when putting the head cover back on be sure and place that bolt that is upside down into the head, and also that very center bolt. I place those bolts on the head cover and taped them on so they wouldn't fall out as I  put the head cover back on.
-now do everything in reverse to put it all back together
-ENJOY (grumble grumble)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guess I won't be able to ride for a while too broke to buy parts, too busy with work and no time to do this.
I'm seriously bumming right now.
In the roller coaster of life I definitely hit rock bottom, I guess I has too much fun on my trip to Montana!

« Last Edit: 09/04/08 at 20:53:46 by SavageWahine »  

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Down for a while!
Reply #1 - 09/01/08 at 22:26:04

SavageWahine wrote on 09/01/08 at 22:02:36:
-remove cable that goes to solenoid
-loosen nuts that hold cable
-pull off cable from head

This is the decomp cable.  The nuts mentioned are on the cable adjuster on the top of the engine left side.

I didn't remove the solenoid to acess the screws, but do it if you're having trouble.

Tip, number the steps so we can respond to certain ones.  so every one gets a chance.   Grin

Wish I could fly.

WWW   IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #2 - 09/02/08 at 00:52:42

Well you could buy Greg's CD.

But...I personally dont know if it shows step by step how to fix things or not Undecided

Actually I'd like to know if it does.

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #3 - 09/02/08 at 01:12:22

FreeSpirit wrote on 09/02/08 at 00:52:42:

But...I personally dont know if it shows step by step how to fix things or not Undecided

HI FreeSpirit, I actually have Greg's CD, but there's nothing on it about this particular problem

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #4 - 09/02/08 at 01:13:54

verslagen1 wrote on 09/01/08 at 22:26:04:

This is the decomp cable.  The nuts mentioned are on the cable adjuster on the top of the engine left side.

I didn't remove the solenoid to acess the screws, but do it if you're having trouble.

Tip, number the steps so we can respond to certain ones.  so every one gets a chance.   Grin

Wish I could fly.  

Thanks for the numbering tip. Did so.

What does decomp stand for?

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #5 - 09/02/08 at 01:49:06

SavageWahine wrote on 09/02/08 at 01:12:22:
FreeSpirit wrote on 09/02/08 at 00:52:42:

HI FreeSpirit, I actually have Greg's CD, but there's nothing on it about this particular problem

Ok then go to a Biker Bar,find a biker that just wants to be friends,check him out,meet his friends,see if he's an okay person....then....
Invite him over to show you how to work on this particular bike problem.

Okay,maybe not Undecided

Go to a Biker Shop,hang around ,tell them you just need to ask a question...then before its over with he'll show you how to fix it.

Still no good? Ok I'll keep thinking on this  Cheesy

A CD that showed you how to fix it would be the easiest and probably best solution Grin
(Sorry that Greg's dosent Sad

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 09/02/08 at 03:27:44

One more time, oh you evil windmill, shall I tilt against thy blades ....

The pics in the tech treads need to be preserved.  People need the tech threads, it is the primary reason the list exists
(yeah, I know -- best chat on the web and all that, but when your bike breaks you need to know how to fix it)

Paladin, if I paid the money could you endlessly host the pics in the tech treads so they quit disappearing?  People like Greg spent a lot of time and effort building "HOW TO"s then the places they put the pics (like Photobucket) changed their retention policies and threw the pics away.

This has happened several times -- last one was the thread on the petcock mod to make it a manual petcock.  People scrambled and got the pics back on that one.  We were lucky ...

My offer is for the core tech thread posts -- hosting through whatever permanent means we can find that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

And yeah, once all his pics start disappearing you all will start to appreciate Savage Greg more -- he had some bark still left on his lumber but he sure knew what he was doing and he took a mean pic to help teach it -- I still refer to his stuff and think he knew a hell of a lot more than I do about a Savage engine.

Oldeller

(PS  last two times I tried to offer this I got zip/nadda response)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #7 - 09/02/08 at 06:34:37

SavageWahine wrote on 09/02/08 at 01:13:54:
verslagen1 wrote on 09/01/08 at 22:26:04:

Wish I could fly.  

Thanks for the numbering tip. Did so.

What does decomp stand for?

decompression selenoid.clunk you should hear when you first hit starter button

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #8 - 09/02/08 at 06:35:44

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 09/02/08 at 03:27:44:
One more time, oh you evil windmill, shall I tilt against thy blades ....

The pics in the tech treads need to be preserved.  People need the tech threads, it is the primary reason the list exists
(yeah, I know -- best chat on the web and all that, but when your bike breaks you need to know how to fix it)

Paladin, if I paid the money could you endlessly host the pics in the tech treads so they quit disappearing?  People like Greg spent a lot of time and effort building "HOW TO"s then the places they put the pics (like Photobucket) changed their retention policies and threw the pics away.

This has happened several times -- last one was the thread on the petcock mod to make it a manual petcock.  People scrambled and got the pics back on that one.  We were lucky ...

My offer is for the core tech thread posts -- hosting through whatever permanent means we can find that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

And yeah, once all his pics start disappearing you all will start to appreciate Savage Greg more -- he had some bark still left on his lumber but he sure knew what he was doing and he took a mean pic to help teach it -- I still refer to his stuff and think he knew a hell of a lot more than I do about a Savage engine.

Oldeller

(PS  last two times I tried to offer this I got zip/nadda response)
im in for$25..miss that savage greg

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #9 - 09/02/08 at 07:55:49

If the oil leak is from the little rubber-ish plug on the top, right, front of the head you can try what I did without spending a lot of money.

I pulled the top off with the motor on the bike.

Pulled out (pushed up from the bottom actually) the plug.

Painted the outside edge of the plug and inside rim of the hole with the
same liquid gasket goop I use when I put the top of the engine back together.

Pushed the plug back into the hole with some pressure/weight on it until the compound set-up.

Put the top stuff back on the motor, letting the gasket goop set with the bolts finger tight before finally torquing them down.

The main steps for disassembly and re-assembly to keep track of for annoyance purposes are that pesky long bolt on the top, left, front of the motor that doesn't come out and remembering that one of the bolts near the middle can't be put back in once the top piece is gooped and bolted into place with the engine still in the frame. DON'T ASK!!!

It's probably not as good a solution as getting the newer model replacement plug, but it was cheap, didn't have to wait, got the top of the motor gasket goop replaced (which for me needs to be done every 7k-9k miles anyway) and had me running again with the front of the motor fairly clean. It doesn't last forever, but then I seem to re-do lots of things on this bike every once in a while. In fact I'll be taking the top off this next week and re-doing this procedure since September has been designated do some prevent-work month.

Jack

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #10 - 09/02/08 at 08:38:58

SW just noticed your post, been to Seattle visiting getting our sidecar rig back from the shop. You were stopped by the item in red? I think Greg is referring to the left front head retaining fastener, which is upside down and the bolt stays in the head, not cover as I recollect. If you have an attack driver the decompression solenoid bracket is easy to remove by taking out the 2 phillips head screws. If not, then use the method listed. BUT FIRST !! are you sure the plug is the leak? Any chance it is the oil fill plug leaking, or the filter oil ring is not sealing,  and the wind blowing it up all over the bike. Isn't much cause from changing oil to make that plug start leaking and the wind will move the oil a long ways. The plug can actually be seen by looking up in the cavity next to the exhaust pipe, if it is loose yo can see it move up and down with the engine running. Probably too late for that now if the bolts are already loose. Wish I could be there, direct e-mail is on the card I gave you for a quicker response.  Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #11 - 09/02/08 at 11:30:58

Jack_650 wrote on 09/02/08 at 07:55:49:
If the oil leak is from the little rubber-ish plug on the top, right, front of the head you can try what I did without spending a lot of money.

I pulled the top off with the motor on the bike.

Pulled out (pushed up from the bottom actually) the plug.

Painted the outside edge of the plug and inside rim of the hole with the
same liquid gasket goop I use when I put the top of the engine back together.

Pushed the plug back into the hole with some pressure/weight on it until the compound set-up.

Put the top stuff back on the motor, letting the gasket goop set with the bolts finger tight before finally torquing them down.

The main steps for disassembly and re-assembly to keep track of for annoyance purposes are that pesky long bolt on the top, left, front of the motor that doesn't come out and remembering that one of the bolts near the middle can't be put back in once the top piece is gooped and bolted into place with the engine still in the frame. DON'T ASK!!!

It's probably not as good a solution as getting the newer model replacement plug, but it was cheap, didn't have to wait, got the top of the motor gasket goop replaced (which for me needs to be done every 7k-9k miles anyway) and had me running again with the front of the motor fairly clean. It doesn't last forever, but then I seem to re-do lots of things on this bike every once in a while. In fact I'll be taking the top off this next week and re-doing this procedure since September has been designated do some prevent-work month.

Jack

Thanks Jack,
It looks like the oil is coming from the bolt to the left and behind the exhaust clamp. There's a good puddle of oil there.
I'm going to start her up again and see if it moves.

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #12 - 09/02/08 at 11:34:50

Max_Morley wrote on 09/02/08 at 08:38:58:
SW just noticed your post, been to Seattle visiting getting our sidecar rig back from the shop. You were stopped by the item in red? I think Greg is referring to the left front head retaining fastener, which is upside down and the bolt stays in the head, not cover as I recollect. If you have an attack driver the decompression solenoid bracket is easy to remove by taking out the 2 phillips head screws. If not, then use the method listed. BUT FIRST !! are you sure the plug is the leak? Any chance it is the oil fill plug leaking, or the filter oil ring is not sealing,  and the wind blowing it up all over the bike. Isn't much cause from changing oil to make that plug start leaking and the wind will move the oil a long ways. The plug can actually be seen by looking up in the cavity next to the exhaust pipe, if it is loose yo can see it move up and down with the engine running. Probably too late for that now if the bolts are already loose. Wish I could be there, direct e-mail is on the card I gave you for a quicker response.  Max

Aloha Max  Smiley
No it doesn't look like the oil came from below. I cleaned of the engine after all the oil spillage and started her up again and watched for the drip.  At first it came dripping down on the left side of the bike, but it was on the stand so the oil ran to the left.
I looked at that plug and there's a lot of oil puddled up in there, so I'm pretty sure that's where it's coming from.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 09/02/08 at 11:37:14

Anyone contemplating removing the head cover would do well to plan on replacing all of the bolts.

When I did mine, lost one on removal, 2 more durring installation.

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #14 - 09/02/08 at 11:52:03

SavageWahine,
    I think you know this aready.... WD-40 is your friend......  (the wonders of living on an island.... Smiley )

Before you attempt the head cover removal, squirk the bolts down with a little WD-40 (or Liquid wrench or CRC , your chioce).  Just a little,  then ride around a bit.  Let it cool ... repeat a couple more times.  This "tempeture cycling" will cause the penetrating oil (WD-40, Liq. Wrench etc etc) to work it's way into the threads.

Also, the oil going by that plug is oil that is returning to the sump.  It's not in the "gotha oil something" path.   It's just a messy thing, won't damage the engine as long as you keep an eye on the oil level.

Note: I replaced my plug, took 2-3 hours.  But, the engine was apart previously....

Note2: For the Decomp linkage,  if you can, leave the adjusting nuts alone, remove the bracket that is attched to the cover using the two philips screws.  That way you don't have to worry about readjusting when you put it back together.  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 08:25:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Down for a while! Back up again!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.