Send Topic Print
Dented tank (Read 70 times)
zilla
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Dented tank
09/01/08 at 19:51:10

Not sure how it came loose in the trailer. But on a trip home today just after leaving a gas station some guy got my attn on the freeway and told me my bike was leaning. So I pulled over  and found one ratchet tie down not attached.  Huh :'( And the bike was leaning on my generator. Now I have a peach size dent in my tank. But I think I MIGHT be able to knock it out some or all??? It's straight down from the filler and from my limited experience with body work, I think there may still be hope. It looks like the rub is through the paint but not the primer. There wasn't enough time to get down to the metal. It looks like it's pushed in an inch but no creases really.

Any thoughts??? I do know a retired body man, and he's also a former riding partner so I think seeing what kind of tools he has may be my best bet. I could probably live with the dent worst case scenario. But I'd rather not.

On a side note, I'm wondering if my motorhome + trailer taking up 2 pumps at the busy gas station, on Labor Day,  and a slow clerk inside because pay at pump wasn't working, may have had someone ticked off enough to mess with my straps.  Shocked  Just a thought.

IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Re: Dented tank
Reply #1 - 09/01/08 at 20:35:34

If there is no crease, then I would give the dry ice method a try. Just need a piece of dry ice bigger then the dent and a pair of thick gloves. Hold the ice on there till it ices over, then set it in the sun to warm up.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #2 - 09/02/08 at 05:06:31

Or -- "As seen on TV" -- the Ding King:

Actually, it works pretty well.  You melt the sticky stuff in the "glue gun", then use the "bridge" to pull the dent out.  It takes a few tries because the "glue" is the weak link.  That's on purpose so you're not just turning an "innie" into an "outie"!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
wrenchbender

wild side of the Great Lk
Reply #3 - 09/02/08 at 08:51:42

Acquiring Dry Ice proved to difficult for me so went with the Fix a Dent which is a kissing cousin to the Dent King shown above. Proved to be the best $20 spent on my bike thus far.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 01:53:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dented tank

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.