Send Topic Print
Rear tire replacement (Read 212 times)
freeindeed
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rear tire replacement
09/01/08 at 18:20:20

I am needing to replace the rear tire for the first time. I seem to be having trouble locating one other than a local dealer. And many sites don't carry the size I need (140/80-15)I would like a better than stock replacement on an 04 Savage any direction would be great. Thanks.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Rear tire replacement
Reply #1 - 09/01/08 at 20:35:37

How do you ride?  City, cruising the slabs, carving the canyons?  You want to match the tools to the job.  You can get a set of Kenda's for about $100, or Metzelers, Avons, etc.. for about $200.  All available on-line from places like BikeBandit or DennisKirk.  The tire manufacturers will tell you which of their tires they recommend for you.  Dunlop says D404s, the rear lasted about 9K, as did the Cheng Shin HiMax.  I recently went with Metzelers front and rear and the handling is noticibly tighter -- which is good for canyons or City.

WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 09/02/08 at 06:42:31

imho metzs are best Wink

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
joeh100

http://www.livevideo
.com/joeh100

Cent. Alabama
Reply #3 - 09/02/08 at 06:54:09

I just put a dunlop K555 on mine.  This tire is really nice for the price.  It feels like a different bike now.

Watch out for the extra handling charge from bike bandit.
http://www.bikebandit.com/product/3500

I got mine for under $100 shipped, from trax motorsports, but I see they just went up on their price.
http://traxms.com/MC_136-1785-p-OEM_Dunlop_K555.html

Good luck

Watch my motorcycle videos at Live Video
http://www.livevideo.com/joeh100
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 09/02/08 at 07:05:15

I think pirelli 66 route is best,Just like cars everyone thinks different.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
ebmiller2

Bel Air, MD
Reply #5 - 09/02/08 at 13:53:23

I'm using a 140/90-15 and it seems to work just fine
Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Doug A
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/03/08 at 05:20:02

I just put Dunlop404's on mine yesterday. (140/90-15 for the rear) Love them! The bike seems to stick to the road much better.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 09/03/08 at 05:48:46

Of course, the Darkside option is "Out There". Maybe you'll want to wrestle a few high quality bike tires on & off that rim before the concept of riding 4 times as far for a bit less than the price of one of those bike tires starts looking reasonable. I've already put 3 tires on mine, after the stock tire was finished at 5,000 miles. I am about 1/2 way thru the life of the Dunlop at 4,000 miles. I ran a Maxxiss( cant think of the model) & got 5,000+, was happy enough with the $$$ , so I got another & it lasted about 3,000+, so I went with Dunlop. Okay, so, IF I just add the mileage up, I ran about 1,000 miles without a rear tire..Anyway, if I can get 20,000 out of a tire that costs less than $100.00 & not have to pry rubber off of & back on that rim, I figure I am WAAY ahead. I figure I'd have a hard time keeping up with Oldfeller, regardless of what tire I have on & if he is happy with the handling of a Darkside tire I will be too.I also know he isnt willing to take an unnecessary slide / bounce down the asphalt, if for no other reason that he is an OLDfeller & cant handle the recoup time, so, I figure it's the thing for me to do next time I swap rubber. Several have & none have come back with"OHH My, I shouldnt have done that."
If I was gonna stick with bike tires, I wouldnt shy away from the Dunlop, but I would try the Metzlers for sure. I've never heard a bad report. I liked the feel of the Maxxixx, but a 3,000ish mile run just wasnt good enough to keep my business, regardless of the low price.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
motokid
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rear wheel nut size
Reply #8 - 09/03/08 at 08:43:58

While we are at the rear tire, what is a size of the nut holding the rear wheel in place. I'm about to go shopping, but have no idea. Looks liek it's something between 15/16 and 24 mm, but I can't be sure. Anybody knows?

thks,

K

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 09/03/08 at 08:51:03

I think it's a 24mm

WWW   IP Logged
doc5446

Into the night...

Randolph, Ohio
Reply #10 - 09/03/08 at 09:39:22

bill67 wrote on 09/02/08 at 07:05:15:
  I think pirelli 66 route is best,Just like cars everyone thinks different.

Pirelli's Route 66 made my bike into a brand new machine. Local bike shop did the whole nine yards for about $160. No regrets...5 stars...now I need a new Pirelli for the front.

K&N air filter, stage 1 jet set, SuperTrapp megaphone exhaust, solo seat w/ clothespin springs, stainless seatpan w/ fenderbib.1971 CB front fender and mirror.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 09/03/08 at 13:44:43

For Sale -- brand new Dunlop CruiseMax  140/90-15

$75 shipping included

Same tire that Sluggo uses -- recommended by the burnout man himself

PM me if you are interested

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Rear wheel nut size
Reply #12 - 09/03/08 at 13:46:05

motokid wrote on 09/03/08 at 08:43:58:
While we are at the rear tire, what is a size of the nut holding the rear wheel in place. I'm about to go shopping, but have no idea. Looks liek it's something between 15/16 and 24 mm, but I can't be sure. Anybody knows?

thks,

K

One side there is a 17mm the other is 24mm.   If you have dyour tool kit, they are in there.....  but..... they're cheap tools... go buy a socket.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #13 - 11/23/08 at 21:35:04

I recently bought a new tire for my Savage (see signature) and got the OEM IRC tire.

Why?

Well, I only ride my Savage about 1300 miles a year and I wanted to get a tire that would not age out before it wore out.  A good tire would have lasted so long for me that it would have started getting too old for comfort.

I can burn up an IRC rear tire in about seven years or so.  That's long enough!

YMMV!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #14 - 11/24/08 at 23:56:49

I'm running a 150/80 - 15 IRC Wildflare on the back of my bike.  Seems to handle alot better that the stock IRC's - of course they were 10 years old.

Yes - a 150/80 - 15 fits with out any issues.  

Just remember to change all the bolts inside the fender to buttonhead allens - or you run the risk of chewing up your new tire.

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 10:25:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear tire replacement

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.