Send Topic Print
Head bolt torque specs (Read 160 times)
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Head bolt torque specs
09/01/08 at 13:19:37

Okay, I checked the tech ref section under torque specs but only found the torque specs for  8mm and 9mm nuts. My head nuts are 14 mm. I am talking about the four nuts that attach the head to the cylinder. What are the torque specs? In ft lbs please.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Re: Head bolt torque specs
Reply #1 - 09/01/08 at 16:38:15

Can you point them out from the reference numbers in this schematic? At first I thought you were asking about the torque settings for the base nuts that secure the cylinder head to the cylinder. But there are only two of them, fore & aft.  If that's what you meant, the base nuts are torqued to 6-8.5 ft.-lbs.

If not, perhaps someone else will be able to help you get the right number.  I've only torqued mine one time during my 600 mile inspection, and I'm quoting from page 147 of the Clymers.

For a larger view of the schematic try this link:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_2NU0p82vl5Y/SLx1x9JgCRI/AAAAAAAAABQ/MrzO2pTikHI/s16...

« Last Edit: 09/01/08 at 19:00:14 by EssForty »  

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #2 - 09/01/08 at 16:42:17

If I am reading it correctly, that would be 23 (three of them) and 24 (one under plug cap.

There are three acorn nuts and one regular nut under the plug cap that on the FireLizard are 14mm in size. The clymer's doesn't even list these in their torque specs page.

IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #3 - 09/01/08 at 17:49:35

I think I see what's happening here. When you say 14mm, you're talking about the size of your wrench, but the table references torque settings based on the size of the metric thread. The nut for the 8mm thread takes a  13 mm wrench or socket and the nut for the 9mm thread takes a 14 mm wrench or socket.

So. Those are the cylinder head nuts, and if a 14mm socket fits, the thread is 9mm and the torque should be 21-24.  If a 13mm socket fits, the torque should only be 16.5-19.5 ft-lbs because the thread diameter is only 8mm.  You can see that the torque drops quite a bit with the thread diameter so you don't snap anything. If the 3 acorn nuts and the one regular nut are all 14mm heads, apply the same torque. if one is only 13mm, back off the torque. I can't recall if I had to change settings on mine when I torqued the 4th one?

Good luck with the FireLizard.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #4 - 09/01/08 at 18:58:17

Here is a handy table that shows the typical thread, pitch and spanner sizes.  For example, the hex cap screw that holds the back of the seat to the rear fender is an M6 x 1.00 pitch and you'd use a 10mm wrench to tighten it.  

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #5 - 09/01/08 at 19:43:19

Thanks Ess, I greatly appreciate it.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #6 - 09/02/08 at 06:45:59

EssForty wrote on 09/01/08 at 18:58:17:
Here is a handy table that shows the typical thread, pitch and spanner sizes.  For example, the hex cap screw that holds the back of the seat to the rear fender is an M6 x 1.00 pitch and you'd use a 10mm wrench to tighten it.  

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_2NU0p82vl5Y/SLybL6lE9TI/AAAAAAAAABY/aD6rLmmiH_4/s32...

great table!! can you post it in the tech section also?

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #7 - 09/02/08 at 07:31:27

You got it.  Posted in the tech section. Hopefully it will save some head scratching time for others.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 23:31:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Head bolt torque specs

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.