Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Whirring Noise from Left Side (Read 94 times)
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Whirring Noise from Left Side
09/01/08 at 11:46:05

Well I got to test ride my '02 today after removing and replacing the left side cover and found that I have a loud whirring noise coming out of that side of the bike. When I first started it no noise, after about 5 miles it began to make the noise at a stop sign. By the time I got home, maybe another two miles it would whir anytime I let the engine idle. It does it in neutral or in gear with the clutch engaged or out so I don't think the clutch is the problem. I parked it and checked the oil level which is ok. Could there be a problem with one of the starter gears? I opened the side cover up to fix a leak and had one of the starter gears, the one that is three gears stacked, slip out of position and I think I put it back right. Looks like I need to go back in there but what should I be looking for. Oh well so much for an easy repair. Now when I start it the whirring noise starts right away and the engine seems to be working a little harder. I know I need to open it up and not start the bike till I've found the problem but has anybody had something simular happen. Thanks all, I'll keep you updated. This stinks Angry

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Re: Whirring Noise from Left Side, Found it!!!
Reply #1 - 09/01/08 at 16:43:47

Found it !!! Grin. Looks like when the starter gear dropped off the shaft it took a small thrust washer with it. The washer dropped down and ended up stuck to the inside of the flywheel. Since the washer isn't shown in the Clymers manual I didn't realize it was missing. So when I put it all back together the washer got stuck between the flywheel and stator and acted as a kind of buzzer. The only way I found it was by running my finger around the inside of the flywheel checking for any rough spots. There must be some divine being who watches over idiots like me and keeps us out of real trouble cause there wasn't any damage to the engine at all except for a flattening of the thrust washer on one end and a slight polishing on the inside of the flywheel where the washer was rubbing. I really lucked out cause the stator is undamaged. Well back to the dealership and order another side cover gasket and a thrust washer.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: Whirring Noise from Left Side
Reply #2 - 09/01/08 at 16:45:05

Glad you found it Ed.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #3 - 09/01/08 at 16:57:29

Good job Ed.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #4 - 09/01/08 at 19:06:22

And on on Savage Greg's CD he shows a picture of how it is supposed to go, that helped me when I found the washer and put it on the end of the wrong gear/shaft and the engine wouldn't even turn over. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:24:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Whirring Noise from Left Side

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.