Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
$67.56- 600 mile service (Read 227 times)
alcoa

never let the
bastards wear you
down

$67.56- 600 mile service
08/31/08 at 13:44:24

Changed oil and filter, adj. clutch, rear brake, windshield as I sat on bike. suzuki oil and filter back in. Ck. belt,added air to tires, and he looked at the rest items on the maintenance chart as  I was looking at the owners manual and he told me what a good looking bike I had. I asked him about the valve clearance he said did not need to do anything to it. 45min. later I was on my way, 2 days later filled up and got 67mpg. love this bike and my dealer.

most problems are caused by the loose nut that conects the handelbars to the seat
  IP Logged
bnlfan
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: $67.56- 600 mile service
Reply #1 - 08/31/08 at 17:17:19

Congrats on your good fortune.

It will be a cold day in ... before I ever go to the stealership I purchased from.  It was Extreme Power Sports in Columbus, GA.  The salesman did a great job but the service department SUCKS!!!  

After visiting 3 other repair shops I found a good trust worth place.  Columbus Cycle and ATV.  Plus, these guys actually remember my name when I walk in.  Find that in these large high pressure places.

Their charge for the 600 mile service is about 50 bucks less than the stealership.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #2 - 08/31/08 at 17:40:50

I'd be curious to know how he knew he didn't have to do anything to the valve adjustment. The only way to know that is to check it. Seems to me Suzuki calls for a valve adjustment and retorquing the head bolts at 600 miles. I'd think that would be about two hours of shop time. The valves are supposed to be adjusted with the engine cold. That usually means bringing the bike to them and leaving it overnight, unless you truck it to them. As long as they signed off on the 600 mile check so your warranty is intact, I guess you may be OK. But they didn't do a complete job.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/31/08 at 18:12:20

Alcoa:  Thats a Great Price!  I just called my dealer and they said it would be $250.00, i'm at 740 miles and still have not done the 600 mile check, I will have to bite the bullet and get it done soon.

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #4 - 08/31/08 at 19:34:27

I'm always a little suspicious of someone who knows something without having checked it. That's as bad as the shops that know it'll need an adjustment ($$$) without checking it. I checked mine at 600mi, and at 2700mi. Checked. No adjustment needed. Still in spec.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #5 - 09/01/08 at 06:33:38

At least it sounds like you weren't treated like a nameless, faceless number.  They let you in the shop while making adjustments, it appears.  That is worth something.  But put in a different perspective, he charged you 70 bucks for an oil change and a pre-ride check.

I don't want to be the party pooper, because you sound happy with them.  I don't think he did you any favors where your wallet is concerned, though.  In a shop, with the tools all ready to go (no setup time) that is 30 minutes' work, tops.  Letting the customer in to chat extends that time, of course.  That's where the price list you see hanging on shop walls comes in to play (Oil change: $20.  If you watch: $30.  If you help: $60). Smiley

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 09/01/08 at 07:10:54

Do you guys think I need to have the 600 mile service done or should I just do an oil change on my own???  Seems like this is all they do.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #7 - 09/01/08 at 08:01:40

Personally, I'd spend the money on a torque wrench and do the entire service yourself.  Even if you still have to buy the manual, you'll be money, and experience, ahead.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #8 - 09/01/08 at 13:10:03

I second Sandy's comment. Is an easy DIY for a person with moderate wrenching skills. Just did my 600 a few weeks ago and it's running great.

You'll need a Clymers, torque wrench, feeler gauges, and ideally a set of deep offset metric wrenches, a philips and regular slotted screwdriver.  You can buy all those things and still have lots of money in your pocket for goodies with the savings. Also, you'll know it was done right.  if you have any questions, someone on here can help you thru it. The valve adjustment is documented on the tech section and worked great for me. along with the Clymers.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 09/01/08 at 15:28:44

Thanks Ess!  I think I will try it myself.   Shocked

IP Logged
White Wolf
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 09/02/08 at 06:44:11

Oil change for $20??? Man, did I get the shaft. This is my first bike. I took it in for the 700 to the dealer. All that for around $250. At 3500, took it to the local bike shop and he charged $75 for the oil change. I decided to do my own from now on. Just have to figure out how to dispose of the oil. I stopped at the dealers to get some oil as I had to top off after my recent New Hampshire run, and three quarts was $27. I told him about getting charge $75 for the oil change and he told me that was about right.
I used to take care of my cars doing everything from oil changes, to shocks, water pump, gas tanks, etc. That was until we went to fuel injected computer driven cars. I hope those skills are transferable. I need to find a good torgue wrench though.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #11 - 09/02/08 at 07:20:32

Back to Alcoa's original post. As others have commented, your mechanic could not "know" whether or not an adjustment was needed to the valve clearance without checking. Seems like there was a head bolt that needed torqued on my 2004 as well. (Maybe that wasn't part of the 600 mile service - maybe later). Bottom line was that the complete recommended service couldn't be done with someone "sitting" on the MC.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 09/02/08 at 07:48:55

A motorcycle mechanic can tell by the sound of the engine if the valves need adjusting why tear something apart if its ok

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
wrenchbender

wild side of the Great Lk
Reply #13 - 09/02/08 at 09:12:43

Jay wrote on 08/31/08 at 19:34:27:
I'm always a little suspicious of someone who knows something without having checked it. ... I checked mine at 600mi, and at 2700mi. No adjustment needed. Still in spec.

Honestly I never have been one to spend my free time wrenching, nor do I feel a need to read tech manuals at the dinner table and perhaps that's what sets me apart from many on this forum. I subscribe to a theory when it comes to motors with 600 miles on them, if it ain't broken why mess with it.

For all of you that did check your valve adjustment all the better for you. For those that did prove to be off. How many thousanths were they out at 600 miles?

bill67 wrote on 09/02/08 at 07:48:55:
 A motorcycle mechanic can tell by the sound of the engine if the valves need adjusting why tear something apart if its ok

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #14 - 09/02/08 at 10:59:22

"if it ain't broken why mess with it."

There is a difference between messing with something and doing regular preventative and predictive maintenance. Fix something before it "breaks." The other kind is reactive maintenance "if it aint broke, don't fix it." Personally I like to ride, so I'm willing to spend a few minutes up front to have a well running - not likely to leave me stranded - etc. etc. machine. After a certain number of miles, a new engine is likely going to need some tweaks to be within specs. As to whether something that isn't broke ( broke as in a mechanical out of tolerance that is causing enough of either noise or maloperation so it can be detected by a mechanic's hearing) should be "fixed,"  I guess an argument could be made that valves (and other things) slightly out of adjustment won't cause damage, however, things like torques need to be checked because if they are holding something important (heads, brakes, axles, engines, all come to mind) if they "break" the consequences can be spectacular and expensive.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 07:27:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › $67.56- 600 mile service

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.