Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Motorcycle Trunks (Read 228 times)
flcruzr
Ex Member

Motorcycle Trunks
08/31/08 at 12:03:23

Hello, I'm interested in purchasing a trunk for my bike and would like to know if anyone has one installed on your bikes?  I'm not looking for anything big, just enough to maybe carry rain gear and lunch bag.  
Also, I have a sissy bar on my bike, will this affect a trunk lid from opening up?  Thanks!!

IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Re: Motorcycle Trunks
Reply #1 - 08/31/08 at 12:24:52

You must REALLY like your bike to take it swimming with you...hence the need for trunks for your motorcycle.

Sorry...I couldn't resist.

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Grin

Because I can!
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #2 - 08/31/08 at 14:30:18

Max_Morley's brother-in-law has a nice trunk on the bike that Savage Wahine rode to Montana.  See if you can raise Max and find out what kind it was.  I might even have a picture of it around here somewhere.

Also, there are several homemade trunks on the site, if that interests you.

EDIT:
Here's a picture of the one SW hauled to Philipsburg.  It's on the yellow bike in the foreground.  I recall that the trunk popped off the bike if you pulled a lever or pushed a button or something.  Handy for carrying inside still packed.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 08/31/08 at 15:07:21

flcruzr wrote on 08/31/08 at 12:03:23:
Hello, I'm interested in purchasing a trunk for my bike and would like to know if anyone has one installed on your bikes?  I'm not looking for anything big, just enough to maybe carry rain gear and lunch bag.  
Also, I have a sissy bar on my bike, will this affect a trunk lid from opening up?  Thanks!!

Mount a suitable size box to the sissy bar: http://leatherlyke.com/stores/showdetl.cfm?&DID=13&Product_ID=74&CATID=6

WWW   IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/31/08 at 16:46:37

Toymaker wrote on 08/31/08 at 12:24:52:
You must REALLY like your bike to take it swimming with you...hence the need for trunks for your motorcycle.

Sorry...I couldn't resist.

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Grin

Now thats funny!   Grin  You got me on that one.   Wink

IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/31/08 at 16:53:47

Well, i'm not looking to make my own, I want one similiar to the ones the Vespa scooters use.  

Paladin:  I liked the leatherlyke trunk but not sure I want to spend that much.  Thanks!

IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #6 - 08/31/08 at 17:04:55

I picked up a Igloo cooler bag from Target that has a hard liner inside. I strap it on my Pillion seat and keep my raingear in it and carry my lunch, exactly as you describe. It also acts as a nice backrest, as I was able to put some upholstery foam in the outer sleeve. All in , we're talking maybe $25 bucks.  I'll post a picture tomorrow if you're interested.

I imagine you could also strap it to the little luggage rack on your sissybar if you wanted to. But it would fit nicely between the bar and your back.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 08/31/08 at 18:16:23

EssForty wrote on 08/31/08 at 17:04:55:
I picked up a Igloo cooler bag from Target that has a hard liner inside. I strap it on my Pillion seat and keep my raingear in it and carry my lunch, exactly as you describe. It also acts as a nice backrest, as I was able to put some upholstery foam in the outer sleeve. All in , we're talking maybe $25 bucks.  I'll post a picture tomorrow if you're interested.

I imagine you could also strap it to the little luggage rack on your sissybar if you wanted to. But it would fit nicely between the bar and your back.

Sure, I never thought of going this route but sounds good, post a pic if you can, would be good to see your set-up.  Thanks!

IP Logged
aysrav
YaBB Newbies

Augusta, Georgia
Reply #8 - 08/31/08 at 18:19:21

Here's another possibility. This is Dowco's overnight bag. It runs about $75. It has great big velcro straps on the back that go around your backrest or sissy bar. It also has a bunch of "D" rings for easy tie down. I think it's well worth it.
http://www.dowcopowersports.com/products/motorcycle_luggage/iron_rider/detail...

aysrav

IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #9 - 08/31/08 at 18:32:54

Here's a pic from a web site. Mine is black. I also have the OEM saddlebags. Looks fine with them.
What you can't tell from this pic is that the interior is a hard removable plastic liner, while the outside is fabric. I just use bungee cords to hold it in place,. but since the structure is rigid, it does not collapse like one of the soft bags.  

When I get to work, I just unhook the bungees and take the whole unit inside. My lunch goes in the fridge at work. If it rains, like every afternoon in Central Florida this time of year,  I just pull out my rain gear, suit up and then strap the bag back on for my ride home.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #10 - 08/31/08 at 18:34:05

i went basically the same way that EssForty went. I got a cooler from wallyworld for $14 and added a bungee cord and it works great as a cooler, or a clothes carries as well as a backrest. They also had smaller ones.

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 08/31/08 at 18:45:33

Cool, I will have to go to target or walmart and see if I go this route.  thanks!

IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 08/31/08 at 18:47:30

aysrav wrote on 08/31/08 at 18:19:21:
Here's another possibility. This is Dowco's overnight bag. It runs about $75. It has great big velcro straps on the back that go around your backrest or sissy bar. It also has a bunch of "D" rings for easy tie down. I think it's well worth it.
http://www.dowcopowersports.com/products/motorcycle_luggage/iron_rider/detail...

http://w3.bikepics.com/pics/2008%5C08%5C10%5Cbikepics-1381221-200.jpg
aysrav

This is a nice bag, Thanks for the info.

IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #13 - 08/31/08 at 19:12:18

flcruzr wrote on 08/31/08 at 18:45:33:
Cool, I will have to go to target or walmart and see if I go this route.  thanks!

When you go to Target, ask for this one:

http://www.target.com/Igloo-MaxCold-Hard-Liner-Cooler/dp/B000L9J91Q/sr=1-1/qi...

The link shows the black one that I have.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #14 - 08/31/08 at 21:01:15

When I was riding my Savage, I had a T-Bag soft trunk. Downside was that it wasn't waterproof. Now I use a Shad trunk. I use it everyday.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 07:19:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Motorcycle Trunks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.