Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oil Pressure Gauge for S40 (Read 199 times)
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Oil Pressure Gauge for S40
08/29/08 at 11:38:05

I'm interested in installing an oil pressure gauge on my 2006 S40.  I'd like to have the gage mounted on my handlebars.

Has anyone installed an accurate oil pressure gauge on their  bike?  If so, who makes a good gauge?
What approach did you use -mechanical gauge or a pressure transducer/sender unit and Electrical gauge? Why?

Is there an existing port that can be tapped for this? Will I need to find some sort of metric thread adapter?

What oil pressure scale would I need? 0-30 PSI? 50? 100? Seems like the pressure is pretty low and I would not want something that barely wiggles the needle, or on the  other hand, that pegs it.

Thanks in advance!

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
Moofed
Alliance Member

...and the engine
just gleams...

Bloomington, Indiana
Re: Oil Pressure Gauge for S40
Reply #1 - 08/29/08 at 12:58:17

T Mack has/had one, so I'm sure he'll be in here soon.  I remember he had a 30 psi one and it couldn't handle the pressure from cold 20w50 oil, so you might look for a 50psi gauge.  Othertimes the pressure quite low, especially at idle with 10w40 oil.  All that info is from T Mack's posts.  Wink

WWW Moofed MoofedOne   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 08/29/08 at 20:53:46

Howdy,
   Yes, I have an oil pressure gauge.   I upgraded to a oil filled 60 psi gauge and I'm happy I did (EBay, gauge listed for a harley, $10 plus high shipping ($8).    A cool / cold engine with thick oil can hit the 60 (mobil 1 20W-50 V-Twin).  BUT....  on a hot day with hot engine at idle it can be 2 psig.

I also upgraded to an egauges metric to NPT adapter for cleaner look (also high shipping).  
http://www.egauges.com/vdo_acce.asp?Subgroup=Metric_Adapter_Bushings

Here's the pictures I originally  postedt, please note the new upgraded parts look much nicer
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1194960603/12#12.

I mounted mine to the handle bar next to my tach which I also recently replaced (Paminator got the old one).

There is an "Oil pressure test port" on the right side, down by the brake pedal (see link above..  It faces front.  Thread is M14-1.25.   The eGauges website has a adapter to go to 1/8" NPT (national pipe thread for those that don't know).  The Gauge is already 1/8" NPT which made it easy getting elbows and barbed fittings.

I'll take new pict's tomorrow and post.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 08/29/08 at 21:33:34

WWW   IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #4 - 08/30/08 at 04:20:53

T Mack:

Perfect. Thanks for the info. That's exactly what I needed.  I'll check out your updated pics later.  

Verslagen:

The Vapor unit looks cool, but I've already got a digital tach and the Sigma cycle computer that gives me almost all the same information.  Did it for half the price of the Vapor .(..well, that is if I paid myself $1/hr for labor. ) While I was at it, I also installed LED turn signal indicators and now I do not have to look down at the tank to see speed, rpms, or turn signals.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #5 - 08/30/08 at 10:23:26

As promised....Picture  (we all love pictures....  Grin  )  Note: Air temp was 80, bike was driven approximately 15 minutes,  and at just over 1000 rpm we get 4 or 5 PSIG using Mobil 1, 20W-50 V-twin oil.

see bigger image:
Click ->  My Gauges

Back side shot:
Click -> Backside

Picture of the test port with the eGauge adapter plus a 1/8" NPT barbed fitting & the hose.
Click->  Test port shot

---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
RoadToad
YaBB Newbies

Oregon
Reply #6 - 08/30/08 at 12:41:55

T-Mack....
   Great looking gauges, might i ask where the tach was found? any model/part no.?  thanx

IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #7 - 08/30/08 at 15:42:58

T Mack:

Great setup. Very classic look. The picture of the port is helpful and confirmed that I'm looking at the right plug.  I ordered the adapter form egauges- check that...... I ordered "shipping" for $12 and they threw in the adapter for about $7.  Cheesy, and it is on its way.

Anyway, I've got a 0-30 PSI oil gauge in my garage so the price is right, but I can go up in size if needed. Since I'm in Florida, where the outside temp rarely drops below 50 degrees, and 70-95 F is the range most of the year, do you think I'll see more than 25 psi under normal operation? I'm using 20w50 synthetic as well.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #8 - 08/30/08 at 20:11:15

EssForty wrote on 08/30/08 at 15:42:58:
T Mack:

Great setup. Very classic look. The picture of the port is helpful and confirmed that I'm looking at the right plug.  I ordered the adapter form egauges- check that...... I ordered "shipping" for $12 and they threw in the adapter for about $7.  Cheesy, and it is on its way.

Anyway, I've got a 0-30 PSI oil gauge in my garage so the price is right, but I can go up in size if needed. Since I'm in Florida, where the outside temp rarely drops below 50 degrees, and 70-95 F is the range most of the year, do you think I'll see more than 25 psi under normal operation? I'm using 20w50 synthetic as well.

A forty would be better, I've never seen a 50, 60 is best.    This morning it was close to 70 and it was 40 psig.   It should be noted that most oil gauges will go over the dail number BUT......  not too good for it.

RoadToad wrote on 08/30/08 at 12:41:55:
T-Mack....
   Great looking gauges, might i ask where the tach was found? any model/part no.?  thanx

Found on eBay,  but here is the info.....
Drag Specialties model DS - 244133
 http://www.dragspecialties.com/fatbook
or
http://www.dragspecialties.com/fatbook/6/244/5932407?q=DS-244133

---
  IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #9 - 08/31/08 at 07:42:30

Sounds good. I found a digital oil pressure gauge & sending unit that will work in that range. I've got the Sigma Bike computer, ENM digital tach, turn signal LED's and a switched power accessory socket that powers my GPS unit all in one box I built and mounted on the riser.  The GPS is suction-cup mounted to my windshield and so I take it off when I don't need it. GPS is really handy, but can be distracting. I used it to check the calibration of my Sigma against my Suzuki speedo and found that the stock speedo reads 2 mph slow.

It sure is nice to see speed, rpm's and  turn signal indicators without having to look down.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 05:49:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil Pressure Gauge for S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.