Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
oil change, and problem with oil leaking. (Read 131 times)
Dean
YaBB Newbies

North California
oil change, and problem with oil leaking.
08/28/08 at 14:14:24

so i'm gonna change the oil and filter, but there is a problem i've been experiencing and i'd like to get that worked out right away. oil seems to come out of where the speedo cable connects, dripping back along the muffler. just recently it  has been coming out somewhere higher up (possibly the top of the speedo cable?), because now oil is getting on top of the battery box.  
i also remember reading on here once that the oil level in the viewing window should be at the very bottom (differn't than what it says in the clymer about the "f" line). when i was running my bike at that lower oil level, none was dripping out of the speedo, but when i started running it at the "f" level mark the trouble returned. any suggestions?

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re:  oil change, and problem with oil leaking.
Reply #1 - 08/28/08 at 14:36:53

Are you checking the oil with the bike upright and level as possible? If so, check the o-ring on the speedo cable where it connects into the tranny.

If you are checking the oil while bike is on kickstand, and then filling it to the "full" mark, you are over filling.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Dean
YaBB Newbies

North California
Reply #2 - 08/28/08 at 14:56:21

i'm checking it up right, on level ground. i just went down to the suzuki dealership and the guy there said there wasn't an o ring for the speedo cable where it goes into the tranny.  
  he's not the coolest guy by the way,
he did suggest something about blockage in the crank case vent hose. anybody ever deal with that issue before?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 08/28/08 at 15:32:04

If your speedo cable is missing the seal, then you can replace it with an o-ring.  Just get one that fits inside.  If it's also coming out of the top of the speedo cable, yes I'd check the vent hose from the top of the engine to the breather box.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 08/29/08 at 00:16:42

I guess technically, he's right. Its not an O-ring from the factory. It's a seal, but, an O-ring will do the job. Just find one that fits inside the threaded part that holds the speedo cable to the engine.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #5 - 08/31/08 at 08:06:39

Here's picture of the seal, and a close up of the seal installed on the end of the cable.  Found mine on the floor the first time I removed the tank and had to go around guessing where it came from.  My first clue was the oil I found leaking from the speedo connection. Definitely important to have this seal in place, or a replacement O-ring as others suggested.

-Ess

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
Dean
YaBB Newbies

North California
Reply #6 - 09/02/08 at 10:03:49

perfect, thanks for the help.  i'm missing the seal for sure. i might go bug the suzuki guy one more time, and/ or get an o ring to fit.

IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #7 - 09/02/08 at 11:04:18

I suspect that the seal can't be bought separately and is part of the Speedometer cable assy, (P\N 493123-001). It feels like a rubberized piece of metal, with inner and outer sealing ridges. Certainly it is much stiffer and more complex than a simple o-ring.

The cable will run you about $25. O-rings are cheaper by far, but if your bike is an older model it may be time to get a new cable with the proper seal. Sometimes it can be cheap insurance. Yet others run theirs without any seal and have no issues.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #8 - 09/02/08 at 11:38:10

EssForty wrote on 09/02/08 at 11:04:18:
I suspect that the seal can't be bought separately and is part of the Speedometer cable assy, (P\N 493123-001). It feels like a rubberized piece of metal, with inner and outer sealing ridges. Certainly it is much stiffer and more complex than a simple o-ring.

The cable will run you about $25. O-rings are cheaper by far, but if your bike is an older model it may be time to get a new cable with the proper seal. Sometimes it can be cheap insurance. Yet others run theirs without any seal and have no issues.

100% coorect.  Can't buy the seal from the dealer.

The o-ring works well.   My seal had a small tear, I started getting a light greasy build up (dust & oil really) around the connection and up the spring cover a bit.  Replaced it with an O-ring that just fits inside the speedo cable end.   Dry ever since.  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 09:34:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › oil change, and problem with oil leaking.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.