Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New windshield causes wobble... (Read 208 times)
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
New windshield causes wobble...
08/28/08 at 11:38:42

Got my National Cycle windshield in. Spend an extra $90 for the heavy duty 4.5mm better acrylic instead of the cheaper/weaker 3.0mm poorer quality plastic shield.

First off, the fork mount was a PITA to get mounted. Then I discovered I put in on too high and the edge was right in my line of sight. So... I pulled the headlight and dropped the mounts down a couple of inches; and also put on some 2-3" taller Harley bars. Now I can see over it alright; but in every configuration I've tried it makes the bike feel wobbly at over 70mph!

Never had this trouble with any set of bars on any of my Savages before. I've looked the shield over from every direction, and measured it many ways and it appears to be on good and straight, and regardless of angle (direction recommend starting with same as fork angle) it still wants to wobble the bike. Almost feels like a high speed wobble, but at only 70+mph!

I'm going to move my Tkat fork brace over from the chopper and see if that helps... beyond that I'm at a loss.

Also, the increased wind resistance makes it so that the bike will barely pull fifth gear with my 17:43 chain conversion. I had no problems with that before the windshield.

So far I'm not very happy with my $200 windshield as you might guess!

I've never had any other windshields other than a couple of Vetter full fairings, and they were great for comfort, and never seemed to hold the bikes back. Even when I had one of the big things on my little Yamaha SR500.

I'm a bit puzzled... Anyone have any clues as to what might be wrong?

Adding picture:

« Last Edit: 08/28/08 at 16:08:19 by Rockin_John »  
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: New windshield causes wobble...
Reply #1 - 08/28/08 at 12:05:06

I put on a old used Slipstreamer (M3-AS6). It took several tries to get it right.   When I looked at the bike from the front it looked good,  but I found out that one side was slightly farther front than the other.  

Yes,  they are a pain in the ____ to balance....

As for wind resistance..... how big a WS did you get????

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #2 - 08/28/08 at 14:28:58

Put the fork brace on and went for another 20 mile highway ride. The fork brace settled it down up to about 77mph (real speed by digital speedo). So at least I can do the legal Interstate speed here in Okiezakistan.

The big "Dakota 4.5mm" shield I got is 24" wide and 26-/12" tall; 18-1/2" above the headlight. Pretty big, but I didn't figure the cheap 18" wide would cover me... I'm over 2' across the shoulders!

My tall sprockets gearing of 17:43 is just barely working now. I stay in 4th until way until well over 50mph, and then just drop it into 5th to cruise. To accelerate bucking the big windshield requires dropping to 4th gear (Which seems to be okay since I feel like the bike can't push anywhere near red-line in 4th much less 5th. I may have to break down and change my gearing now to suit the windshield... just another headache.

« Last Edit: 08/28/08 at 16:09:04 by Rockin_John »  
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #3 - 08/29/08 at 08:52:09

Hm... (mumble mumble...)

17:43 give you a 2.529 final drive ratio

16:43 give you a 2,688 final drive ratio

15:43 give you a 2,866 final drive ratio

17:44 give you a 2,588 final drive ratio, which is just in between your 17:43 and the step-up 16:43

Not much that one extra tooth in the rear sprocket can do - apparently.

Actually, you should consider you really only want to cut down your gearing that little much required to even out the extra power absorbed by the WS pushing air...

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #4 - 08/29/08 at 11:31:56

Yes, and I'd want to be careful to avoid one of the combinations that needs a half-link to fix.

So I might be better off going to 17:45 even though at 2.65 it's very close to 16:43; and the big sprocket costs more... It might work out better in correct number of chain links to avoid a problem.

Added: If I'm not mistaken, Gregg used 17:45 without problems.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #5 - 08/29/08 at 13:13:34

If it were me, I'd figure out how to tilt the windscreen back to decrease wind resistance...or get a different windscreen.  I do understand your dilemma considering the $$ you've already shelled out...can you sell it to someone else?

How much do you want for it?   Cheesy

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #6 - 08/29/08 at 13:14:19

And yes...Greggggg used a 17:45 without problems.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #7 - 08/31/08 at 10:32:30

barry68v10 wrote on 08/29/08 at 13:13:34:
If it were me, I'd figure out how to tilt the windscreen back to decrease wind resistance...or get a different windscreen.  I do understand your dilemma considering the $$ you've already shelled out...can you sell it to someone else?

How much do you want for it?   Cheesy

Hey, no kiddin' I might sell the shield for a  loss if I can't get happy with it. It would probably be fine on a more stock bike with a lighter rider...
But I haven't quite given up on it yet!  Lips Sealed

I'm wondering if my old school tread Cheng Shin I put on the front is contributing to the wobble. I've found that particular tire really hates the modern "rain grooves" on the cement turnpikes around here. I was warned but didn't listen  Embarrassed

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 08/31/08 at 12:41:30

Try a Pirelli 66 route tire, my favorite tire,Not to high price either.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #9 - 09/01/08 at 20:24:48

Easy way for me to try another tire is to just swap front wheels with the other 99. It has an Avon Touring tire on it that is very different from the Taiwanese Chen Shin.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #10 - 09/02/08 at 09:22:41

Just wanted to let everyone know that the cause of my problems with the windshield did indeed appear to be the big windshield and the old-school tread pattern of the Chen Shin tire not being compatible.

I swapped tires/wheels between my two 99s this morning and took them both for test rides. Both were stable all the way up to top speeds (80+ mph)!

HALLELUJAH !!!

I'm still going to have to gear down the 99 with the windshield though; because it just can't pull that tall 17:43 chain conversion ratio. It can't even wind out in 4th, much less 5th gear. I dunno if 17:45 will be enough change or not. Might just go back to the belt on it, and move the chain drive to the chopper... But then it runs fine the way it is so... ???

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 03:20:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New windshield causes wobble...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.