Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Savage problem please help!! (Read 206 times)
Simon
YaBB Newbies

Bensalem Pa
Savage problem please help!!
08/27/08 at 10:47:52

ok so heres my story... i bought the savage in the beg. of last summer... i put on all new blinkers, taillight, handlebars, mirrors, sportster seat, straight pipe and redjetted the carb.  I also fabed up a licence plate mount and bought those led licence plate bolts and wired everything up.  I sanded, bondoed, and primed all the tins and took em to maaco (which by the way they came out great and only cost me $112)  NOW I had the bike finished LAST summer right around september.. Put gas in the tank and found out there was a pinhole leak and it ate up my paint b/c i didnt catch it and left it overnight... So i planned on fixing it in the winter and hanving it for spring.. Problem was that im only 16 and im not pullin in to much money... so i didnt buy a new tank all the way until spring.  I refinished the tank and had it painted maybe last week.. Got all the parts and put her back together again.. Finsally gased her up and changed the oil before trying to start her.  Which btw b4 fixing her i did make sure she was a runner.. So i start her and my battery was dead so i bump started her and she ran GREAT.. I rode around my neighborhood for an hour or so just to make sure i wouldnt get stranded if i took it further.  So i get about 5 miles from my house and she stalls.. Remember my bat is dead so i finally get her up again but now the idle is real high and at idle there is a bit of white or black smoke comming out of the exhaust.. the bike boggs down at low rpms but once you rev her up it stops.  I thought maybe it was bad gas or maybe there might have been some sand particles in the tank from the sanding so i drained the tank and took the carb off and cleaned the carb and put her together again.  (and i didnt think of it until now but i should have made sure the jests were tight since i rejetted it but im pretty sure the were)  But after doing all this the bike is still idleing real high and running like.. well shi*.. I dont no what to do.. I think its in the carb but im not sure, i dont know if it would be something electricle or what... I dont know were to start and i was really hoping to have the bike for bike week in wildwood which is a week away..

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Re: Savage problem please help!!
Reply #1 - 08/27/08 at 10:59:11

I would check to make sure your jets are in tight and the correct size.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 08/27/08 at 11:13:45

Quote "at idle there is a bit of white or black smoke coming out of the exhaust."

Pay special attention to the color of the smoke...black is carb, or rich, too much fuel,...blue/grey, is oil burning, usually valves or rings,...white is water, usually cooling system (hard to do in an air cooled bike), but maybe water in gas....
and finally,...check your vac line for gas,...goes from petc0ck to right-side of carb,...should have no gas in it at all...

good luck, and congratulations on what you've done, by the time you're 18 you'll be an expert....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 08/27/08 at 11:40:10

I would also check battery for water and charge it up

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #4 - 08/27/08 at 12:00:25

One other thing. We need pics, we want to see what you have done.  Wink Wink

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #5 - 08/27/08 at 12:06:11

Hmmmm  another east-sider......  Hello from the Allentown area....

High idle..... make sure choke knob is pushed in.    If in, then adjust the idle setting lower, it's set with a little metal knob on the carb , not too far from the choke knob.

Next, check the sparkplug.  If you picked too big of a main jet, the plug might be carbon fouled and run like SH*T.    I have a loud HD muffler (Screaming Eagle Clone) and stock Air filter, and I'm running a 152.5 main.  The 155 was too rich and the bike ran for about 1/2 hour then started to miss and lurch.

Got to get it running by  Sept 20th,  we're planning a ride  Harrisburg / Cabela's.....

T Mack

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Simon
YaBB Newbies

Bensalem Pa
Reply #6 - 08/27/08 at 19:14:46

Thanx everyone.. i rode the bike today and it was still bogging down and it was white smoke which it all stopped and cleared up after some riding so i think it was just water in the gas... it was hard to figure this out earlier bc my bat was dead and i was gettin to tired lol.. pix hopefully commin 2marrow

IP Logged
Simon
YaBB Newbies

Bensalem Pa
Reply #7 - 08/28/08 at 21:24:45

promised pix but didnt really get the chance.. deff  plan on snapping some on sat.. but i do have another question if anybody is still keeping up with this... this was something ive been putting off and it bit my in the a$$ today... i usually have to play with my start button a few times b4 it works, which i thought it was just corrosion on the terminals. so i was at work and i went to start the bike and nothing.. so i pulled the throttle apart and the terminals were in bad shape so i pulled the wires off and tried to start it by touching them.. it worked but it took a few tries and there was a clicking sound.. does anybody know what this is?? i think its the starter solenoid.. any opinions

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #8 - 08/29/08 at 00:22:36

You said in your blog you were 16,in your profile it says 22,?
what year is the bike?
I would take the carb off and give it a good cleaning,remove the throttle grip and clean up any electrical componants,connect wires properly,try a new spark plug,I use a iridium myself and I really like it.
Any way, congratulations I love to see a young guy getting his hands dirty 'in a very short while you will be an expert,we will all be asking you for advice.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #9 - 09/02/08 at 13:16:45

The start button feeds down eventually to the timer that controls the Decompression solenoid  and then the starter.  I don't have a wiring diagram in front of me but there is a clymer PDF file lik posted somehwere here.   it has color coded wiring diagrams......

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 12:33:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage problem please help!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.