Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Attn Carb Jetting Experts (Read 149 times)
texassavage95
Ex Member

Attn Carb Jetting Experts
08/26/08 at 22:55:37

I recently put on an aftermarket muffler I bought off Ebay. It is similar to a sportser takeoff, has baffling. After my first ride of ten miles, the muffler blued, and it backfired anytime I let off the throttle. From reading here, I concluded it is running lean. Well I have now done the white spacer mod with 2 #4 washers, put a cone filter and went to a 152.5 main. There was a pilot jet that came with the carb kit,  I could not make out the writing to tell the size, but used it anyway. The bike runs well and is not backfiring anymore. It does tend to want to die when I come to a stop, so I had to raise my idle a bit. Here's my question, In trying to adjust the idle mixture, is it unusual for the bike to idle fine with the idle screw all of the way in? I found the highest rpm at about half of a turn out. I have been running it at 1 turn out and it seems ok. Is this an indication of rich or leaness?

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: Attn Carb Jetting Experts
Reply #1 - 08/26/08 at 23:23:47

I would say it was running rich. But then I am no expert.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #2 - 08/27/08 at 01:30:47

I did the same mod with a jardene muffler,I have my idle screw'd out one and a half turns,that's what they recomended,i did lose about 4 mpg after the mod,not a bad price to pay for a big improvement in get up and go.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 08/27/08 at 05:09:08

Keep in mind that the pilot adjusting screw settings are just suggestions.  You should always go through the tuning steps to find the best setting for your engine.  
Ex., where Tex.. installed the pilot jet that came with the muffler he got on ebay, he was down in the 1/2 to 1 turn out range for the setting.  This is not that unusual when going to a larger jet.  When installed,a larger jet can be almost too large... thus finding that the best setting is less than 1 turn out.  If the engine runs good at this setting then that is fine and I would leave it as is...no need to take it apart again just to reset the pilot screw.  
Ideally though, the goal is to try to find the jet size that will yield the best tune spot at 1.5 turn out.
If you have a situation where you turn the pilot adjusting screw all the way down to where it is essentially closed in an effort to get the best tune, then the jet is too big...go to the next smaller jet.  The same applies if during tuning the pilot adjusting screw is turned out to 3 turns out and it is still not happy, then you need to go up to the next larger jet...then retune of course.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 08/27/08 at 13:13:08

Have same problem on mine.  The stock pilot jet (52.5) has the screw out a bit far far 2 1/2 , maybe a touch more, and the larger jet (55) in the Lancer kit seemed too big, 1/16 to 1/8 turn out.....  

Is there a 53 Jet??????

EDIT: Stock Air airbox/filter, Screaming Eagle Aftermarket clone muffler.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
texassavage95
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/28/08 at 07:56:40

Thanks for all of the insight, I feel better knowing that I am not the only one running with the mixture screw that far in. I guess now, I need to polish exhaust and see if it blues again.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 20:27:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Attn Carb Jetting Experts

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.