Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
idle trouble and plug leak (Read 258 times)
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

idle trouble and plug leak
08/24/08 at 21:10:26

I know all about the plug leak deal so I'm set on that. Any quick idea what may be the trouble with the idle. It'll idle slower and slower until it dies then I've got to restart it while pulling on the throttle and it wont idle until it gets good and warmed up with me putting on throttle.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: idle trouble and plug leak
Reply #1 - 08/25/08 at 19:36:02

Year and miles please.

Wink

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/26/08 at 20:47:40

sorry. '95 about 12500 mi now. The idle trouble only occurs sometimes. Sometimes in the cool night, or on a really hot day it'll act up. Sometimes not.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #3 - 08/27/08 at 20:58:23

Does it happen with the choke on or off?

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/27/08 at 22:33:54

usually i'll idle it with the choke on, the RPMs will slow over the peroid of 30 seconds until it stalls after which time It wont start with the choke on at all. I'll close the choke and restart it. At that time it will idle very slowly and stall unless I have a wee bit of throttle on and keep it on until its thoroughly warmed up. Sometimes none of this happens. Its usually just fine with 30seconds with choke on, turn choke off and its good. But like i said, sometimes it'll act up for whatever reason. Seems to be more pronounced after I fill up but that could just be my imagination.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #5 - 08/28/08 at 06:33:56

Your idle is too low..... adjust it till it runs ok.  

It should be noted that the idle spec is a range not a set number    (1000 to 1200 rpm) .     This is due to the nature of the single cylinder air cooled carbureted bike.     Idle speed changes a bit with operating temp and weather conditions.  That's why there is a easy idle speed adjustment......  

On a side note,  it may sound neat to have a low idle, but at 1000 RPM the oil pressure is only 2 PSIG.   The other day I took idle down to 900 and the needle on the gauge almost touched 0 psig......  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #6 - 08/28/08 at 20:46:30

If you continue to have problems, check the petcock vacuum line.  It should have zero smell of gas.

IHTH!

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/06/08 at 20:15:48

Okay, I upped the idle a little more than a week ago and it did fine...until now. I topped the oil off a few days ago and checked it today before i took off so I know Im not low on oil. I AM due for an oil change. I've been topping it off but Im at about 3k mi on it. Tomorrow I'll check the vac line for gas and change the oil. As long as Im changing the oil I'll check the oil filter and make sure it isnt fouled with plastic from the cam chain guides (please god no). I REALLY dont want to have to take the gas tank off and check the plug but i suppose it could be fouled. SO....barring gas in the line, old oil, clogged oil filter, or fouled plug what could I be looking at?

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #8 - 09/06/08 at 20:42:07

BurnPgh wrote on 09/06/08 at 20:15:48:
SO....barring gas in the line, old oil, clogged oil filter, or fouled plug what could I be looking at?

Look at the weather.  I am constantly amazed at how the weather affects the way my bike runs.  Especially temperature.  We've had a few cool days around here (39 degrees the other morning) and the bike is running like a striped-assed ape.  I'm thinking it's a little too rich on warmer days, 'cause it sure doesn't jump away from stop signs like it will right now.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Reply #9 - 09/07/08 at 07:54:55

Yup.  My bike runs a LOT better when it's cooler outside.....

Red '97, cone filter, 150 main, 52.5 Pilot, half spacer, Screaming Eagle turnout, 17/43 chain drive, shield, de-badged, 4" forward control extensions. Gettin' there.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #10 - 09/07/08 at 08:36:47

I've have mine a little lean,and it feels a little stronger at 85 degrees,than at 60 degrees

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 09/07/08 at 09:37:57

"SO....barring gas in the line, old oil, clogged oil filter, or fouled plug what could I be looking at?"

Any black smoke at idle?  Could be rich...
Also the carb slide and diaphragm, could be sticky.

But check the other stuff first.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 09/07/08 at 12:32:08

No gas in the vac line. Oil changed. Oil filter good. Didnt check the plug. No smoke. Seems to happen usually right after I fill up. I fill with the bike on the sidestand up to the bottom of the filler neck. When the stalling happens The first thing I do is take off the gas cap and switch to prime. No whoosh of air in or out but the bottom of the cap is usually covered with gas so I suppose I could be submersing at least one of those little vent holes and creating a vapor lock.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #13 - 09/08/08 at 16:34:39

Hmmmm  interesting pprobelm.  I don't think it's the vent holes in the gas cap.  they shouldsuck air in no problem,  that is if they are clear & clean.

BurnPgh,   Where are you located??  I vaguely remember you telling us in another post  but the mind isn't as sharp as it use to be.

T Mack
east side of PA.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 09/09/08 at 13:44:59

Im about 10-15miles east of Pittsburgh PA

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home