Send Topic Print
speed to gear (Read 142 times)
alcoa

never let the
bastards wear you
down

speed to gear
08/24/08 at 18:46:32

In town speed limit is 30 I go through 4 towns to work what gear should I be in. Dose it hurt anything if I stay in 4th or 5th?

most problems are caused by the loose nut that conects the handelbars to the seat
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: speed to gear
Reply #1 - 08/24/08 at 18:56:21

At 30 MPH,  5th may be too low to have reserve power in a emergency.     4th would be ok.   You could get away with 3rd too.....

I have a tach,  I noticed that the bike seems to want to be above 2000 RPM if you want any power to accelerate.

Sorry......  never really look at what gear / rpm I'm in/at when going 30 mph.....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #2 - 08/24/08 at 19:05:34

I have to drive 30 thru my subdivision for several miles until I hit the highway. I am usually in 3rd at 30, and my RPMs are around 2900-3100.  Seems like 4th would be OK, but I am surprised that you're not bogging down a bit in 5th at that slow speed.  Doesn't it feel sluggish if you roll on the throttle thru a curve at 30 in 5th?

The issue I would have with being in 4th or 5th at 30 mph is that if I have to accelerate quickly I have to kick down a couple gears real fast and do not want to deal with engine lag.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 08/24/08 at 19:18:11

i thump uphill in 5th (25 mph zone) up the colorado national monument use 3rd or 4th for the hair pins..if she starts buckin its time to down shift...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #4 - 08/24/08 at 19:20:31

I can juuuust hold speed at 35 in fourth (on my 4-speed)  Any slower than that and it starts to lurch on me.  At 30 mph, I generally shift out of second into third.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 08/24/08 at 21:27:46

I would rather have the engine spinning freely, tached up a bit, pumping oil to the cam, than have it just barely turning over, bordering on bogging & lurching./ It Sounds cool, rolling along, just thumping & rolling down the road, but, the potential for oil starvation is too high, IMO. Besides, if I decide I need to GO, right now, I dont need to shift, just twist the throttle & bye-bye. Usually, in traffic, Ill be in 3rd at 30, no traffic, maybe 4th at 30, & 5th at 35, in traffic, 35, 4th gear.Maybe even 3rd, depending on traffic.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #6 - 08/24/08 at 23:20:08

alcoa wrote on 08/24/08 at 18:46:32:
In town speed limit is 30 I go through 4 towns to work what gear should I be in. Dose it hurt anything if I stay in 4th or 5th?
The correct answer is:  Depends.

30 mph in 5th is a hair under 2000 rpm, and in my experience the Savage will chug along quite happily.  I do it regularly.  On the other hand, if something interesting is developing ahead I'll drop a few gears to have maximum scoot power available.  2nd is good to over 50 mph, and 3rd can merge with freeway traffic.

WWW   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #7 - 08/25/08 at 00:24:45

alcoa wrote on 08/24/08 at 18:46:32:

Please use the brain you were given,if the bike is lugging change down,if it's screaming change up,obviesly you arent at one with your machine,listen to it,it speaks to you all the time,if you don't hear it then change the helmet you are wearing,------ feel through your hands,your feet,the sound,for a moment or two emagen you are the engine,how do you feel? need more gas,need a lower gear,higher, this is a clasic "play it by ear scenerio" if it sounds wrong change it,if it sounds ok,stick with it.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #8 - 08/25/08 at 13:09:38

I actually don't pay that much attention to which gear I'm in in town, I am constantly going up and down depending on engine speed. I try to keep it where the engine is nice and smooth with out chugging or screaming.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #9 - 08/25/08 at 13:38:04

The town I live in has a 25 mph speed limit and I'm usually hanging in 2nd before I'm out the gate. When I get on Rt. 71, it's 30 mph. Rt. 33, 40 mph, Garden State Parkway is posted 65mph most stretches, but 80-85 mph seems to be the most popular speed.

Yeah, so I have to take it slow, and rarely hit fourth gear until Rt 33. The bike tells me when to shift. My full face helmet shoud be arriving Wednesday, and that's one of my concerns. You know, not hearing the revs. I guess I'll be looking at the speedo a bit more.

FSO
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #10 - 08/25/08 at 13:45:05

There are more ways to know when to shift besides just hearing the revs Photo. You can go by the vibrations as well.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
ZeroStar
YaBB Newbies

Port Townsend, WA
Reply #11 - 08/25/08 at 15:36:47

I wear a full face (you never know what kind of sh*t is going to fly up at you on the beautiful backroads of Washington state) and don't have any trouble at all hearing the engine and knowing when to shift.

'04 Silver Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 04:24:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › speed to gear

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.