Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ignition Advance, First Try (Read 96 times)
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Ignition Advance, First Try
08/23/08 at 13:56:50

Well for one reason or other I had to pull the left side cover on my '02. While I was in there I took a look at trying the ignition advance mod which came from a different web site. I've forgotten what type of bike it was tried on at first but it seemed simple enough to attempt on a savage. The basic idea was to slot the screw holes that hold the sender module onto the mounts and just advance it as far as the slots will let you. Now to advance the module you need to move it clockwise since the engine turns counterclockwise,I hope I got that right. To advance you rotate into the direction of the engine, to retard you rotate with the direction of the engine. I was able to slot the screw holes by maybe 1/4 of an inch using a dremel. Could of gone farther but the sender has a real powerful magnet in it and I didn't like all the metal filings that built up on it. The cleanup took longer than slotting the mounting holes. I used a degree wheel to see how much advance I was able to obtain and think I got about 2 degrees with the mod. Not much but enough to see if the theory is valid. Next time and we all know that there is always a "Next Time" it would be easier to take a piece of 1/2 wide x 1/8 thick inch flat stock, drill it to sit on the orignial mounts (would need to use flat headed screws and taper the holes to mount it with) and then drill a second set of holes in the flat stock for the module. I would think you could get anywhere from 4 to 12 degrees advance depending on where you drilled the second set of holes. There is no need to advance the ignition that far, I'm just saying what the range could be.  I can't see how the extra 1/8 inch thickness of the flat stock would affect the module, after all it is being fired by that really big magnet in the flywheel and 1/8 inch across the flywheel is nothing. Using a piece of flat stock would also keep you from having metal filings get on the module and potentally into the engine. Haven't road tested it yet but the bike started with no problems and sounds fine. Almost the hardest part was putting the side cover back on without having the gasket drop out the bottom. A quick shop tip is to slip a handful of 10 penny nails thru the screw holes in the side cover and thru the gasket to hold everything in place. Just replace each nail with the side cover bolt as you move around the cover. It will prevent the gasket from falling out. Just thought everybody would like to hear my thoughts on the ignition advance mod. I'll report further after a road test. HeeHeeHee Cheesy

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Ignition Advance, First Try
Reply #1 - 08/23/08 at 14:02:45

We will be waitng for the ride report....  Cheesy

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #2 - 08/23/08 at 14:12:11

You didn't happen to have taken pictures did ya? I am more a visual guy. Written instructions confuse me to much unless I have a visual reference.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #3 - 08/23/08 at 14:34:17

Sorry, no pictures, there was way too much oil flying around the shop to risk pulling out a camera.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #4 - 08/23/08 at 14:42:51

Understandable. My own problem with not being able to take in progress pictures is I have a habit of getting started on a mod and not wanting to stop until I'm finished. I really need to work on that though.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 08/23/08 at 15:07:54

Interested,...sounds promising,...
Tell me,... tell me,...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #6 - 08/23/08 at 17:44:28

Should have been 2 hollow dowels for that cover, I put them in the case not the cover and that holds the gasket in place on the crankcase. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #7 - 08/23/08 at 19:59:33

They helped on the top edge of the gasket, it was along the bottom that I problems with. Does anybody have an idea as to how far advanced you could set the spark? I've gone as far as 6 or 7 degrees on beater cages, beyond that it runs like cr*p.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 23:24:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ignition Advance, First Try

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.