Send Topic Print
General Lubrication (Read 110 times)
ATLjan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

General Lubrication
08/22/08 at 17:30:57

The owner's manual for my 2004 indicates areas that require lubrication to be performed during periodic maintenance, some using grease and some using oil.

Can someone please tell me what grease and what oil to use and where to purchase them.

Thank you in advance.

IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Re: General Lubrication
Reply #1 - 08/22/08 at 18:07:39

Lubrication can be done with good old motor oil. Any good quality grease, preferably one that is waterproof, will work for the spots you need to grease. You just don't want to use oil in place of grease or vice versa.

Go to any of the auto parts stores in your area, AutoZone, whatever and they will carry a multi-purpose moly grease. Just don't get roped into thinking you need to go to the dealership to get special Suzuki grease.

People may have different favorite greases or special lubricants that work for their climate, etc. But motor oil and basic waterproof grease will suit most people.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
ATLjan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/23/08 at 07:44:47

Super.  Thanks.  Just a couple more questions...

I think that means I should purchase an oil can like the one Dorothy used on the Tin Man.  Correct?

Will I need a grease gun for the grease?

IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #4 - 08/23/08 at 09:45:19

For general lubrication , such as the clutch and brake cables and brake pedal pivot, you can use a clean plastic squeeze bottle with a droplet type spout. You're only going to need a few ounces and you may have an empty bottle at home that you could reuse.  If not Wal-Mart & Target usually carry empty plastic squeeze bottles.

If you want a "Dorothy can", then just take the first left after Wal-Mart and follow the yellow brick road, but watch for falling houses.  Wink

You can find some small grease guns at most auto parts stores that are already pre-loaded with a little grease cartridge.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #5 - 08/23/08 at 10:26:41

WalMart has a small hand grease gun that uses the 3 oz. tubes. They also have three, 3 oz. packs. Just got one so I can keep the grease in my little red trailer bearings topped off. And it's easier to get under the Jeep for the universal joint top offs.

Jack

IP Logged
ATLjan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/23/08 at 13:10:17

Thanks SO much all.

I'm off to see the wizard!!

Ride safe.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 08/23/08 at 14:11:43

Harbor freight has oil cans. The one with the flex tip ( mine anyway) has a grunchy pump, but it works. The other, with the solid tip, pumps nice. Handy item to have in the shop. Handy when running a drill , too.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 11:31:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › General Lubrication

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.