Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New dampers (Read 177 times)
DJM

'06 Red S40

Encinitas CA
New dampers
08/22/08 at 08:37:29

In my quest to quiet the belt squeak on my savage, I decided to replace the rubber dampers between the rear wheel and the big sprocket on the back.

It made a huge difference in the free play of that sprocket. Before, I could rotate the sprocket 2 or 3 degrees with virtually no resistance, and I could rock it side to side about 1/4" with a small amount of effort.

After the new dampers were installed, there was no free play in the rotation, and with all my effort I could barely rock the sprocket at all.
Re-assembling the the wheel was difficult until I moistened the dampers with some water so the wheel could slide back in.  

The old dampers were  worn thinner, and had deep dents in them from where they pressed against the sprocket. They also were a bit gummy, as if something had attacked them chemically. Perhaps someone used oil on them to assemble it last time tires were changed. The bike has about 17,000 miles on it now.

But how well does it quiet the squeak? Alas, I can not test it yet. A couple of days ago I was walking barefoot across my patio and really slammed my toe into a heavy lawn chair. It is broken, ( the toe, not the chair) and it hurts too much to put my boots on.  Sad

Apparently ATGATT should apply to me even when I am NOT riding!

Hopefully, I will be able to stuff my foot into my boots this weekend and give you all an update then.

Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
  IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Re: New dampers
Reply #1 - 08/22/08 at 09:54:34

(from Stripes) I'm gonna go out on a limb here. I'm gonna volunteer my leadership to this platoon. An army without leaders is like a foot without a big toe. And Sergeant Hulka is always gonna be here to be that big toe for us. I think that we owe a big round of applause to our newest, bestest buddy, and big toe... Sergeant Hulka.
Cheesy

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
DJM

'06 Red S40

Encinitas CA
Reply #2 - 08/22/08 at 19:17:30

Cue twilight zone music ...
No one has ever quoted stripes to me before,
until today, when two different people have quoted it.
Not the same line though.

thats just weird...

( not that is anything inherently weird about quoting stripes, just the coincidence of two quotes within hours of each other. )

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #3 - 08/22/08 at 20:03:05

DJM wrote on 08/22/08 at 19:17:30:
thats just weird...

( not that is anything inherently weird about quoting stripes, just the coincidence of two quotes within hours of each other. )

That's a fact, Jack!

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
DJM

'06 Red S40

Encinitas CA
Reply #4 - 08/24/08 at 17:04:43

The new dampers did the trick. Not a peep out of the belt anymore! Grin

I probably wasn't hurting anything with the worn dampers, because the belt was showing no sign of wear, but it sure is nice not to have to listen to that squeak.

Looking at the PO's records, which he was nice enough to provide me with, I noticed he took the bike in to adjust the belt at 13,800 mi, and then again at 14,200.  I suspect he noticed the squeak and took it in the first time, they didn't fix it, he took it again shortly later, they still didn't get it so he gave up.  Dealer probably told him they all do that.

How long should brake pads last? He has had new front pads put on 3 times in 16,800 miles, and the rear pads done once.

Also, I was able to adjust the rear wheel so belt tracked in center of pulley, and it stayed there while I turned the wheel either direction by hand with bike up on block. Didn't look at at it while underway. At this setting, the position indicators ( by the adjusting nut ) are within about 1/4 mark of each other.

I set the tension with the tool, and tried the 90 degree method and ended up just about the same, So no need to invest in the tool, but it makes it a little easier to set the tension.  Just stick the gauge in and turn adjusting nut till gauge is at the middle line.

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #5 - 08/24/08 at 17:29:32

That's good news , my belt has been squeaking a lot lately. I'm at 18,000 miles. I think I'll give that a try. Anyway, back to Stripes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psycho: The name's Francis Sawyer, but everybody calls me Psycho. Any of you guys call me Francis, and I'll kill you.
Leon: Ooooooh.
Psycho: You just made the list, buddy. Also, I don't like no one touching my stuff. So just keep your meat-hooks off. If I catch any of you guys in my stuff, I'll kill you. And I don't like nobody touching me. Any of you homos touch me, and I'll kill you.
Sergeant Hulka: Lighten up, Francis.
Cheesy

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
DJM

'06 Red S40

Encinitas CA
Reply #6 - 08/24/08 at 18:19:08

I haven't seen stripes since it came out. About all I remember about it is Bill Murray was in it, and it involved the military. Maybe time to put it in my Netflix Q.

Rogue, How much play do you have in your rear pulley?  Mine seemed pretty loose when I replaced the bumpers. I think mine may have started squeaking around 14,000 miles.

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #7 - 08/25/08 at 17:23:43

I'm not really getting that much play, but under power I get a lot of squeaking lately. My alignment seems fine and I checked my front pulley to make sure it wasn't working loose. I've had problems with that in the past and had to use JB Weld on the shaft. I think that under power  the rear pulley may be flexing a little too much. I may try shimming the rubber baby buggy bumpers at the end of the season.

IP Logged
Brad_THMP3R

Fighting for Iraqs
Freedom

Hampton Roads, Va
Reply #8 - 08/25/08 at 18:23:47

Some good ol' spray canola oil on the belt makes her nice and quiet!
If only it worked for something else Grin shhh!

Jardine slashcut - oldfeller filter - 52 pilot, 152 main - no spacer - ngk iridium plug - olive drab paint - no head covers - respect brotha! I'll eat you!
WWW   IP Logged
DJM

'06 Red S40

Encinitas CA
Reply #9 - 08/26/08 at 10:02:58

Rogue,
Someone else on this board shimmed the dampers with inner tube rubber and reported success.  I think that with the dampers, once you get to the point that there is a little play, especially rotational, the wear builds up rapidly. Thats because each time you gas it or let up, you are moving pulley relative to wheel and causing more friction on the dampers, leading to even more wear. It seems to me that lugging the engine would also accelerate the process.

Brad, Have you tried beeswax on the edges of the belt? I would not use the canola oil because it might get sticky and then road dust would stick to it, speeding belt wear.

The beeswax, or sanding, would have been my next step, If replacing the dampers hadn't worked so well.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 06:29:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New dampers

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.