Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Broke down outside of work (resolved) (Read 260 times)
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Broke down outside of work (resolved)
08/21/08 at 17:20:05

Turned the ignition, lights came on, hit the starter and everything is dead. Seat is off, checked the battery connections, seem ok. Checked fuses, they're not blown. Everything is dead right now, no lights, nothing. Working on this in the dark. Lucky that I was outside of the office, at least I have access to a computer. ANy ideas? Heading back out to look for loose connections.
Thanks in advance.

« Last Edit: 08/22/08 at 12:52:24 by photojoe FSO »  

FSO
  IP Logged
blacksheep23

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Need HELP, broke down outside of work
Reply #1 - 08/21/08 at 17:21:50

did u flip the switch on?

check for gas?

does it click when u hit the starter?

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #2 - 08/21/08 at 17:38:14

No clicking, dead nothing. No lights. The kill switch was the first thing I checked. I read that someone was having problems with it, so maybe that could be the problem. I could take it apart, but I really don't know what to look for. Is there a bypass?  

By the way, anyone know what that hose coming out of the carb is, going down behind the battery? It's not connected to anything, just grease on the end.

Getting grease all over the nice keyboard at work. I really don't want to call AAA, that would be my last resort.

FSO
  IP Logged
blacksheep23

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/21/08 at 17:43:30

if theres no light and the fuse is ok,u def have a dead battery,recharge it or replace it,

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #4 - 08/21/08 at 17:57:29

I got power! Had to be a loose connection. Just tightened every nut and bolt I came across. Now I have about 6 miles to ride on a dark stretch of road to get home, hoping that it doesn't die again.
Thanks for the support.

FSO
  IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #5 - 08/21/08 at 18:00:46

You might be able to jump start it if you can't charge the battery.

With the kill switch off, turn the petcock to PRI and turn on the key while it is in Neutral. Then either roll down a hill while seated, or if you have no downhills nearby and you are adventurous and somewhat athletic push the bike while running alongside it and when it gets around 10 mph , jump into the saddle, pull in the clutch, pop it up into 2nd and let the clutch out. The engine will turn over and you should be able to ride it home. It will start charging up the battery as you drive. Rev it at every stop so it does not stall on you.

It you're 300 lbs and have a heart condition, then this is not the best advice. But it is a simple way to get home that worked for me on all of my motorcycles when I was a teenager.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #6 - 08/21/08 at 18:27:44

It's dead again. Kind of convinced that it's the battery at this point. Turned the key, and by chance the lights came on. Soon as I hit the starter, it died with no lights. All flat ground around here, I'm drenched in sweat trying to push start it. Shar's visiting family on the west coast. Time to call AAA for a jump.

FSO
  IP Logged
blacksheep23

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/21/08 at 18:31:57

sorry to hear that man.If u need a new battery let me know.I have one brand new lying arnd that I ended up not using it.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #8 - 08/21/08 at 19:00:24

photojoe FSO wrote on 08/21/08 at 18:27:44:
It's dead again. Kind of convinced that it's the battery at this point. Turned the key, and by chance the lights came on. Soon as I hit the starter, it died with no lights. All flat ground around here, I'm drenched in sweat trying to push start it. Shar's visiting family on the west coast. Time to call AAA for a jump.

I had the same problem and it ended up being my wiring harness was rubbing against the belt and stripped the wires causing it to ground. Not saying this is your problem however, but check for any worn spots especially if new battery does the same thing.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #9 - 08/21/08 at 20:18:15

Thanks everyone. I made use of my AAA RV policy, gave them a call and 20 minutes later a biker in a tow truck was in the parking lot. It was the battery. Fired right up after hitting it with some juice. I buttoned her back up and had one of the best rides home I could remember. AAA RV is worth the extra money, especially being broke down in an empty business town at night.

Blacksheep, I would take you up on the new battery, but I have the next two days off and want to be in the wind tomorrow. Thanks much for the thought though. I'll drive over to the stealership in the morning and pay premium just to ride in the nice weather that's in store. Along with the battery, I think I'll buy some small jumper cables to have in case of a future problem with my bike, or a fellow rider stuck on the side of the road.

It's funny the things that go through our heads when we're in these situations. What could it be? I could've swore it was electrical. Of all the things that could go wrong, a dead battery is a piece of cake. Yeah, it's a drag to go through, but still better than a major repair. Thanks again people.

FSO
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #10 - 08/21/08 at 20:23:47

That brings up a question I hadn't thought of...

Will our charging system run our bike AND jump another bike's dead battery?  Or will the draw just suck our bike dry and leave two stranded?

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #11 - 08/21/08 at 20:27:11

just attach short fairly heavy gauge wire to the + side cap it and tuck it in the tool box - then you can jump with any type of cables - or spring for agm like the big crank.

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #12 - 08/21/08 at 20:28:46

That's a good question Sandy. I know that when we're jumping from a car battery, the car has to be off. Maybe someone with experience will chime in.

FSO
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 08/21/08 at 20:57:31

photojoe FSO wrote on 08/21/08 at 20:28:46:
That's a good question Sandy. I know that when we're jumping from a car battery, the car has to be off. Maybe someone with experience will chime in.

Why does it have to be off?
Both are lead acid batteries, both charge at the same voltage.
Yes the capacities are night and day but so what?

And why can't one bike charge 2?
Assuming 1's already up and running and using only 60watts itself.  leaves 60watts to start another.

WWW   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #14 - 08/21/08 at 21:16:18

1. the reason we usually shut the car engine off when jumping is to protect its electronics from an accidental mis-connection and applying 24 volts to systems. Yes you could charge another battery from your Savage, however, any vehicles charing system is considered a battery maintainer, not a battery charger. And how long are you going to let that air-cooled Savage engine run with out fan while charging the the 2nd battery.  IMHO not a good plan, use a charger when needed. Buy and take care of a good battery, if lead acid, check the fluid level monthly and top off with a hypodermic syringe and distill or at the least de-mineralized water.  I like the AGM sealed maintenance free type, as they self discharge slower and you cannot add water so no need to check it. More $ less hassle and riding time. Maybe one less AAA call. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 07:31:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Broke down outside of work (resolved)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.