Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
High Octane Fuel no advantage in Savage (Read 236 times)
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Re:  High Octane Fuel no advantage in Savage
Reply #15 - 08/22/08 at 00:46:10

Arthur wrote on 08/21/08 at 22:20:26:
Pride of accomplishment seems to no longer matter.  Question is, does it, anymore?  Being able to build a car or do what Mick can do will never get you anywhere.  Learning how to rot in a chair while you push keys on a computer, will.  I hope I live to see the day that we experience a major power failure for just 1 month. That will separate the men from the boys.

I/We (my sister a B/in Law) live on a farm here in Oregon,we have two generators,our water comes from a well,one generator will kick in for the well and the other for the house and my garage appartment,we have quite a few power outages and servived,between my Sister and I we have enough food to last about 6 weeks,plus whatever is growing in our very large garden.
Hey we got through WW11 as kids living on 2 oz of meat 1 egg a week two slices of bread a day,plenty of tea but no sugar, at school every kid was given one oz of consentrated OJ a half pint of milk,and a tablespoon of cod liver oil,those three items gave you every vitimen you needed, today I don't know if that is still good?
there was also a study about drinking sea water done by the royal navy,it seems if you are torpedoed at sea and you end up in a life boat
in the middle of the Alantic without fresh water you should start sipping sea water before you get thirsty,two sailors survived  for 60 days without any fresh water in a test,funny you never hear any thing about that any more,but I know it for a fact,the problem most people have is that initial sip ,eeew

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #16 - 08/27/08 at 03:29:03

Generally, if you put high octane fuel into an engine which usually runs (and only needs) low octane fuel, you will lose a little power.

The high octane fuel is more resistant to detonation, and also doesn't light up as easily in the relatively low pressure/temperature environment of a low compression chamber.  The slower initial 'light' of the mixture, and relatively slower wave front (because it's designed for a hotter environment) saps power.

You actually want fuel that has just enough octane rating not to pre-ignite when your engine is hot.  Anything better than that is a waste, and saps power.  I did have some dyno charts where this had been compared on a variety of engines - can't find them right now.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
luckystiff
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 08/27/08 at 11:11:24

I live in the Denver area.  I have trouble from time to time with what I perceive to be issues with the higher altitude in my stock '06 S40.
I'm curious if higher octane would help. (cheap and easy to fill er up with the better grade as a precaution if I plan to go high)
Does higher altitude cause a richer, too much fuel for the thin air? and then does a higher octane help, hurt, or neither?

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #18 - 08/27/08 at 11:42:03

Makes it richer, octane want help use regular

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print