Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
High Octane Fuel no advantage in Savage (Read 236 times)
Gort
Ex Member

High Octane Fuel no advantage in Savage
08/21/08 at 15:00:16

« Last Edit: 08/21/08 at 18:38:31 by Arthur »  
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re:  High Octane Fuel no advantage in Savage
Reply #1 - 08/21/08 at 15:31:04

Any of these articles contemplate the effects of high head temps or just the compression factoid?

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 08/21/08 at 15:33:43

I know from experience and trying high octane in cars motorcycles and snowmobiles that it doesn't help power or gas mileage,One of the gas companies here was advertising their gas cleaned the engine, I look it up on the internet and only the highest grade had the cleaner in it

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/21/08 at 15:42:59

Reelthing wrote on 08/21/08 at 15:31:04:
Any of these articles contemplate the effects of high head temps or just the compression factoid?  

Lazy-lazy-lazy!!!  I go to the effort of researching all this and you want me to re-read it and answer your questions? Seriously though, please read it...it won't take long and there is much good stuff to learn.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 08/21/08 at 20:05:03

spose I can later - you posted 8 of the 1000's out there - was really just curious if these were the run of the mill - base every thing on comp ratio - that isn't near the whole story, water vs. air cooled, head metal, seasonal blends of fuel, and of course seasonal temps

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/21/08 at 20:27:31

Reelthing wrote on 08/21/08 at 20:05:03:
spose I can later - you posted 8 of the 1000's out there - was really just curious if these were the run of the mill - base every thing on comp ratio - that isn't near the whole story, water vs. air cooled, head metal, seasonal blends of fuel, and of course seasonal temps  

Okay, okay.  To summarize, an engine cannot use a higher octane gas than it was designed for, assuming you have it correctly tuned, and assuming you have not raised the combustion temperature by running the engine too hot.  Example:  if the fuel mixture is  too lean, then the combustion temp will be hotter than it was designed to get, and you will experience pinging/knocking.  Higher octane will help alleviate that problem, but the solution is to adjust the fuel mixture correctly.  Or, if you idle your air cooled engine too long stationary, the engine will overheat and the combustion temps will raise too high, and you get a lean condition.  Or, if you insist on lugging all the time, you may get the pinging/knocking and the higher octane will help that.  Or, if you have your timing advanced too far, again the higher octane will help alleviate the pinging.  So, unless you have a lean fuel mixture or a timing or overheating issue, or the combustion chamber is fouled with glowing red carbon deposits, a stock engine will see no power difference using a higher octane than the manufacturer recommends.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 08/21/08 at 21:11:58

that's better! - not all concerns or reasons for higher octane rated fuel involve higher power production - I'll agree super-shell isn't going to increase the power produced by a low comp engine - but that's not the only reason to put it in the tank - one can not tune for random >105f days while stuck in heavy traffic vs. a clean ride at 90-95f - but you can add a little margin with fuel less prone to burn in a flash

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 08/21/08 at 21:25:28

Reelthing wrote on 08/21/08 at 21:11:58:
that's better! - not all concerns or reasons for higher octane rated fuel involve higher power production - I'll agree super-shell isn't going to increase the power produced by a low comp engine - but that's not the only reason to put it in the tank - one can not tune for random >105f days while stuck in heavy traffic vs. a clean ride at 90-95f - but you can add a little margin with fuel less prone to burn in a flash  

And that is exactly why I always use Chevron Supreme in my bike.  It was 113 here, last week at 550' above sea level.

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #8 - 08/21/08 at 21:27:49

I beg to differ Gort,as I said in another thread,I used a gallon of 110 octain gas in my savage (2002,12,000 miles,K@N air filter,150 main jet,Jardene drag muffler, iridium spark plug,the bike felt like it had a rocket boost every time I gave it gas, however it did nothing for my top speed,still the same 83 mph,I would run it all the time but at $11 bucks a gallon ,anyway probably not good for the engine to run it full time,but it was fun while it lasted.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 08/21/08 at 21:34:56

mick wrote on 08/21/08 at 21:27:49:
I beg to differ Gort,as I said in another thread,I used a gallon of 110 octain gas in my savage (2002,12,000 miles,K@N air filter,150 main jet,Jardene drag muffler, iridium spark plug,the bike felt like it had a rocket boost every time I gave it gas, however it did nothing for my top speed,still the same 83 mph,I would run it all the time but at $11 bucks a gallon ,anyway probably not good for the engine to run it full time,but it was fun while it lasted.

Keep in mind, now, your engine is no longer factory stock.  You've made changes to its mixture and breathing.  According to the links
I've listed and many more on the 'Net, manufacturers' octane recommendations are for an engine with no alterations.

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #10 - 08/21/08 at 21:46:30

Keep in mind, now, your engine is no longer factory stock.  You've made changes to its mixture and breathing.  According to the links
I've listed and many more on the 'Net, manufacturers' octane recommendations are for an engine with no alterations. [/quote]

So !   I do all my own maintanance,this winter I will be doing a ring and valve job,new timing chain,new fork seals,it doesn't need the fork seals but I'm taking them apart anyway to put the pair of gaiters on,.
My bike has NEVER refused to start,runs like a swiss watch,and it has never let me down,except a flat tire that I changed myself.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #11 - 08/21/08 at 21:46:52

yes - we still bump our head on the rpm - the '95 is sort of stock - jardine, carb tuned over many hours of plug reads, ir plug, and maybe a tiny bit more air - but still the rpm head bump - the '02 is kind of a different deal with the near open supertrap, long duration cam, and close to 0 air restriction - might do an extra 1000 rpm - but man is it ever screaming - even with a higher flow head, coated cylinder, oblong the time'n trig'r hole to advance it, and this carb ready to go on it - the redline is near the same - you just get there a lot quicker - need the chain drive on it I guess - wonder how the shaved head worked out for kawie10(?)

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 08/21/08 at 21:53:05

mick wrote on 08/21/08 at 21:46:30:
I've listed and many more on the 'Net, manufacturers' octane recommendations are for an engine with no alterations.

So !   I do all my own maintanance,this winter I will be doing a ring and valve job,new timing chain,new fork seals,it doesn't need the fork seals but I'm taking them apart anyway to put the pair of gaiters on,.
My bike has NEVER refused to start,runs like a swiss watch,and it has never let me down,except a flat tire that I changed myself. [/quote]

Not too many guys around who can do that anymore, eh?  Remember the days when you never heard of anyone taking his bike to a dealership for work?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #13 - 08/21/08 at 22:07:39

long gone mostly - even with teenagers and their cars - most "soup" them up with stickers, wheels, and shiny stuff - don't know a water pump from an alternator - where did the know how go Sad

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 08/21/08 at 22:20:26

Pride of accomplishment seems to no longer matter.  Question is, does it, anymore?  Being able to build a car or do what Mick can do will never get you anywhere.  Learning how to rot in a chair while you push keys on a computer, will.  I hope I live to see the day that we experience a major power failure for just 1 month. That will separate the men from the boys.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 09:19:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › High Octane Fuel no advantage in Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.