Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
front end rattle (Read 148 times)
GrateFuLDad

Boiling Springs,SC
front end rattle
08/21/08 at 04:59:37

cant figure out why  when i rev the engine it has a loud rattle up front,.. i thought it was something loose on the front but now that i rev it and listen close it sounds like it comes from inside the front of the engine...

i thought about valves but i wouldnt think its time to adjust them..?

2003 savage 3100 miles on it...
i am fixing to do a lancer carb jet kit on it labor day weekend...
the past owner took out the baffles in the exhaust so i cant get it to adjust right till i rejet it..
i plan to look at doing the valves then as well if i can educate myself enough between here and that time...

the rattle seems louder the hotter the bike gets as well or the more its riden.. or the faster i go.. this wasnt like this until we were on our way back last week from a 200 mile trip... on the way back down the mountain i could hear this pulled over and heard it coming out of the front of engine down towards bottom or so..?
might be from the top where the valves are though..

performance wise i cant tell a difference... yet.. loudness is getting louder though.. trying to make it this week and next wek on it and then i am taking a week off for vacation around the house to work on my bike and my vw's..  beetle getting new engine put in and my bus getting new engine that week and also my bike will get rejetted and hopefully valves adjusted all that week.. anyone wanna help LOL
thanks for any intuition on this..
chai

Hang up that cell phone and let us that Ride LiVE....~!~

standingbearz   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: front end rattle
Reply #1 - 08/21/08 at 08:49:21

Rattle or a ticking?????

3.1K miles...... hmmmmm
For a rattle,    look for something loose.  Check the exhaust flange.   Check the bolts and screws at the top of the engine.

For "ticking",  your valve might be getting open a little.  After my rebuild, I started getting a loud ticking after the bike warmed up.  Loud enough to hear thru the helmet.  Found the exh valve (was it one or both...  hmmm can't remember) at 0.006.  Spec is 0.003 to 0.005.   Tweaked it a bit to between 0.003 and 0.004 and now have to have the helmet off to hear the valves.

« Last Edit: 08/21/08 at 11:10:47 by T Mack 1 - FSO »  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 08/21/08 at 11:01:10

Check the speedometer, and the headlight...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #3 - 08/21/08 at 19:46:17

My windshield has started rattling.  Another project for this weekend.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
GrateFuLDad

Boiling Springs,SC
Reply #4 - 08/27/08 at 03:46:49

i looked into the head light rattle but seems that the link is broken in the tech section.. the speedometer rattle i havent yet looked at but still am having rattle issues...????

its not on low rev but higher rev that it starts to rattle or on a highway speed ...

i actually thought it was the headlight but i am unsure as i lean my head down it sounds so much more like below that?

Hang up that cell phone and let us that Ride LiVE....~!~

standingbearz   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 08/27/08 at 10:46:13

Just put gentle hand pressure on the speedo and headlight while you are riding...if the rattle stops, you've found the culprit.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #6 - 08/27/08 at 15:26:57

Check the oil level first. The left side sheet metal can rattle at high way speed, make sure that the screw is tight.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #7 - 08/27/08 at 22:08:18

This might sound silly but last year I had a rattle at the front,I put my head low to try and figure out were it was coming from,when I put my head down the noise stopped (I have a wind shield) long story short,
it was the visor on my helmet,the snap on the right had unsnapped and the wind made it rattle,was a bit of a puzzle for a while there.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 06:25:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › front end rattle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.