Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Headline:  Yellowjackets lead to carb discovery (Read 286 times)
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Headline:  Yellowjackets lead to carb discovery
08/19/08 at 19:16:45

I was outside hunting down the nests of yellowjackets that plague our place just now.  I opened the hoods on the snowcats and found not only a bunch of pissed off bees, but also these carburetors:

They are hooked to a two-cylinder 440cc engine that lost its oil line and then its life in rapid succession one cold day in the mountains.

I believe the term I've seen here is "drinkin' and thinkin'."  I don't drink anymore, though, so I can't blame my questions on that.  They came out of my own twisted little mind without help.

Of course, I knew the carburetors were there all along, but never bothered to think of them in the context of how I could use them to screw up my bike.  I don't even know what size they are, but they are Mikuni carbs.  I'll have to wait until the yellowjackets are all toast before I can gather more information.

The question is:  Since I own them already, and it wouldn't cost me to take them out and play with them, is there a way (or a reason) to hook one to my bike?  What intrigued me is that I think they are controlled directly by the cable, instead of vacuum.  Does this make for a quicker response?

I know bupkiss about carburetors, other than what I have learned here and by studying the one on my bike.  If nothing else, I figured this might inspire some discussion from which I might learn something.

Have at it (or me).  I'm not married to the idea, so you aren't going to hurt my feelers.  I'm just curious.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Headline:  Yellowjackets lead to carb discover
Reply #1 - 08/19/08 at 20:37:47

I know about zero, BUT, that never stopped me from taking a shot. Since there are 2 on a 440 cc engine, I would say they are small for the Savage.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #2 - 08/19/08 at 20:44:11

Yeah, that thought occurred to me as well.  I wondered about making a manifold that would use both the carbs.  It would look, uh, unique.  I'm hoping those who know will chime in, mainly because I think it's probably a bad idea, but I would like to know why.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 08/19/08 at 20:47:12

Well, because you would be building just to hope you could synch the carbs & not lose too much performance, since the 2 were meant to feed a 440, not a 650. Might work okay, but I have a hard time seeing an improvement.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 08/19/08 at 21:08:07

make most anything generally work - but you need to figureout what size they are - 1 is liable to be big enough - 440cc but what make of machine is it?

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #5 - 08/20/08 at 04:51:45

It's a Kawasaki Intruder.  It was fast.  Real fast.  Fortunately, I didn't have it for long before it croaked.  I'm sure I would have commited suicide by snowbank if I'd have kept playing with that thing.

Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 08/20/08 at 05:29:51

I must have disfunctional fingers this morning - just don't see for sure
what came on the - looks to be 34mm-38mm

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 08/20/08 at 07:46:02

I would think because its for a 2 cycle that all of the inners would would have to be changed which would cost a lot.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 08/20/08 at 08:23:17

ReallY? I would never hqave considered a 2 stroke carb as different. Seems to me, air goes in, mixes with fuel, enters the combustion chamber & goes Bang. That the 2 stroke compresses & combusts every time the piston goes up shouldnt affect it, should it? Can you splain this Bill? I am confewzed.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #9 - 08/20/08 at 08:48:25

Depends how the 2-stroker is setup.  Pre-mix... oil injection...  reed valves etc. etc.    Can't see it in the pictures.... where's the choke on those carbs????

You may need to run both carbs to get the fuel the 650 needs.  Y-pipe  Huh  ......  but now you are making it a complicated bike....  Embarrassed

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 08/20/08 at 09:22:49

Oh boy, new old toys to play with !   Cheesy

They are indeed Mikuni VM model carbs.
If this engine is a 440 2-stroke engine then the carbs are likely 34-38mm as already mentioned.
I have the Mikuni/Sudco Carb Manuals that I use in the carb kits if you need one for playing with the carbs.  It shows all parts in exploded diagrams with numbered parts listings to go with them.  It also explains how these carbs work, how to jet and tune, and a bunch more very usable info.  If you want one just send a PM to me and we will get'r done.  They are cheap so no biggie on that account.

The great thing about these carbs is that every part possible is available and they are cheap, compared to stock and/or new carbs.

IP Logged
daweise1

Old school, new
school, I cheated in
both.....

Pataskala (Cols.) Ohio
Reply #11 - 08/21/08 at 09:08:46

Wow.... mental note, start looking for old, bad snowmachines no one wants anymore......... Wink

Dyna SE II Black muffler, HD Touring tank(6gals), Pingel petcock, HD Heel rest, Custom handlebars(Rock Chops), Adjure Flamed Headlight with spotlights, HD Flamed Signals, Oldys Gangster Fenders, Paint
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #12 - 08/22/08 at 18:15:27

With the remark about losing its oil line, then its life, I would guess the carbs saw nothing but gas and the oil was injected into the manifold afterwards. Being a 440 two-stroker, the carb has to feed one 220 cc cylinder, twice as often. A too-small carburetor will work just fine on an engine. It may restrict the top speed (remember closing the throttle is very nearly the same as installing a smaller carburetor). But it may just work better at lower speeds (that's why manufacturers install smaller carburetors when they "detune" sportbike engines to make cruisers) because the airflow through it may be faster. Biggest problem I can see is trying to make sure the float bowl is level when the carburetor is installed.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 08/22/08 at 18:24:40

That snowmobile motor runs between 4000 to 8000 rpm,so  i think the needle jet and jet needle would be way off for a s40 motor

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 08/22/08 at 18:42:58

What's the fuel/air ratio for a 440 2 stroke vs a 650 4 stroke?

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 21:35:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Headline:  Yellowjackets lead to carb discovery

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.