Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
tank painting (Read 161 times)
odvelasc
Ex Member

tank painting
08/19/08 at 19:07:54

Howdy folks,

I have come across some equipment so that I may paint my tank. I would like to know if there is any type of tape that I could use to make a stencil and wont ruin the mid-coat clear? I wish to make a decal on the sides of the tank.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Re: tank painting
Reply #1 - 08/19/08 at 19:34:47

3M makes different grades of "safe release" masking tape.  I use them frequently in painting chores at my construction job.  I have never used them in this application, but it would be the first product I'd research, if I were in your shoes.  It is blue tape.  The "safest" release has an orange cardboard roll in the middle.  Talk to your local paint store about it.  They'll know if it'll work for you.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #2 - 08/19/08 at 19:38:24

If you want to do a real decal, do a google search for decal materials. There are several places to get them. You print them on an inkjet printer. Or if your design is ready and you're near good sized town you can find a place that will make a one off for you from your artwork, usually in one or two days.

Jack

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/23/08 at 11:35:44

Jack_650 wrote on 08/19/08 at 19:38:24:
If you want to do a real decal, do a google search for decal materials. There are several places to get them. You print them on an inkjet printer. Or if your design is ready and you're near good sized town you can find a place that will make a one off for you from your artwork, usually in one or two days.

Jack

sorry I didnt mean like decal stickers. I should have been more clear. I want to make a stencil in order to paint a design. What I dont want is the stencil to smudge my midcoat.

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #4 - 08/23/08 at 13:39:57

Yeah, I know what you're talking about. I have the artwork all ready to put a "SuperBee" on each side of my tank. I just haven't gotten around to cutting the stencil. I don't have the stock tank on anymore and the curvature of the 5 gallon Harley tank makes using a regular decal of a goodly size impossible as far as I can tell.

I was thinking about trying contact paper to use for the cutouts. My tank's powder coated so I think it holds up better to chemicals if I need to get glue and stuff off. Don't know how that would work for a painted surface. But then again, I end up not being too worried about appearances. Scratches and such just show I've been somewhere.

Jack

IP Logged
Bear_Rider

Reply #5 - 08/23/08 at 13:57:57

Jack,

That bright yellow is a powder coat?

Wow!

What does powder coating a tank run (ballpark)?

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #6 - 08/23/08 at 16:11:06

That yellow was as close to the original 2k 650 yellow as the company had in stock. They can match pretty much any color, but it gets expensive quick. So I just went with what was close. I had all the metalwork done at once so there was only one set-up charge. They had some problems with my bodywork patching getting an even coat over the two different materials. Even at that I got it all for about $250. Just check your area for coating services and go in and talk to them.

The set-up charge is a spendy deal so take in as much stuff as you want done all together. New trips new set-up costs. Talk to them and you'll probably find at least one of the guys has a bike. Make sure you go back and show them the finished product. My guys came out and took pictures for their catalogue.

Since then I've been pretty hard on the bike, long trips with rubbing tie-down straps and the like, so there's plenty of scrapes and scratches. The finish has held up way better than paint would have though, what with the abuse I put it through.

Jack

IP Logged
Bear_Rider

Reply #7 - 08/23/08 at 16:31:17

How would powder coating work with decals and clear coat? I'm pretty well sold on using these as tank decals in reflective black:

Without any badging on the bike, that should keep people guessing for a while.  Grin

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #8 - 08/23/08 at 16:39:54

There is a clear coat that's clear. The temperature they have to get to to make the powder melt and spread would burn off any paint or decal you had on there. You can treat powder coat finishes just like paint. You can spray a clear coat or four on over your decals or stencil paint job. I don't see a problem at all on that front.

Jack

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 19:17:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › tank painting

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.