Machine Shop cost. (Read 202 times)
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Machine Shop cost.
08/19/08 at 15:54:06

Well, a year later and I finally decided to take the top end off the savage and take the poor thing to a machine shop to drill out the broken exhaust header bolt. Stopped by the local Suzuki shop (who told me in June they wouldn't be able to get to it until Sept ..didn't want the engine or bike taking up space during the busy season.) and asked who they use for a machine shop.  Given the broken easy out, any idea about cost I can expect for drilling out the broken stud??.
Should I bring the good stud with me so they can see specifics?
Thanks all.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Re: Machine Shop cost.
Reply #1 - 08/20/08 at 15:33:13

Interesting development..as no one has suggested a price range, I went by the local custom bike shop and asked where they sent their machining jobs to.  Oh, about a mile down the road on the right hand side.old white house..he restores old Indians..
Hmm. this is the land of the Nipmucs, but I'm a thinking Indian Motorcycles (as made in Springfield  about an hour west of here.)
Found the shop, and looked in the window..no one there but 3-4 old motorcycles covered in dust and a lotta other stuff. No machining machines in sight.hmm
Drove around the block up and down some back paths and saw the back of the building which sits on a slope with floor after floor sort of added on out back, each one lower than the one before.
Drove back around the block, tried the other side of the building (the side with the unpaved driveway)knocked on the door and wham, as I stepped in, there was a beautiful '36 Indian -Fireengine red-  almost finished restoration.  While three guys looked at my "issue" I admired their work.  Almost tripped over a box of wheel spindles that were in between stages, having been made  elsewhere but had been prepped for finishing at this shop. (They used to hand machine such parts until modern Computer driven machines made it less cost effective)Frame of another bike (a scout) on a second table.  A shelf of old carbs, with little metal flaps you open or close by hand to enrichen..Left Suzi's head with them so they could decide if and what to do..will check in again manana..IT IS amazing what lurks in little shops in this great country.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 08/20/08 at 17:35:53

Hope this works out for ya Trip. The cost? What would be reasonable? Man, I have no clue. Hopefully, it wont be a pain & the shop wont spend much time, because the old 'Time is money" thing is a cliche' that translates directly into our lives. I HAVE noticed that MY time doesnt translate into Money as quickly as other peoples seems to. When I ask someone to spend their time on a problem in my life, they get gobs of money. When someone asks me to sove their problems??? Awww heck,, aint no big deal & its way too cheap. Owellll,, This has served to motivate me to learn to do as much as I can to solve my problems.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #3 - 08/20/08 at 23:50:05

From the sound of it, looks like you may have just stumbled on a "craftsman". Rare breed in this "made in China" age. My guess is he'll charge you a fair price for some of the best work you've ever seen.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 08/21/08 at 07:34:17

first of 07 had an adaptor fabed for the oil temp guage i got for xmas..
$80...made from 3/4 brass bar stock, male threads to fit into front oil port,fm on other end for sending unit(different threads)also had them cut the corners of the bar to fit a box wrench..feel i got my $$ worth..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
07S40rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Murfreesboro, TN
Reply #5 - 08/21/08 at 11:32:19

Trippah wrote on 08/19/08 at 15:54:06:
Well, a year later and I finally decided to take the top end off the savage and take the poor thing to a machine shop to drill out the broken exhaust header bolt. Stopped by the local Suzuki shop (who told me in June they wouldn't be able to get to it until Sept ..didn't want the engine or bike taking up space during the busy season.) and asked who they use for a machine shop.  Given the broken easy out, any idea about cost I can expect for drilling out the broken stud??.
Should I bring the good stud with me so they can see specifics?
Thanks all.

So, if I understand correctly, the dealership didn't want it taking up space in their shop but they were just going to farm it out to somebody else anyway?  I don't hate the dealerships the way some folks do, but if i was treated that way at any company (we don't have time for you right now, come back when we aren't so busy) then I would never step foot in that place again.  Sounds like you found a cool shop though.  You would be surprised what some of the small independent places can do for you both in quality and in price.

"One mans McGoofy is another mans McCuff - its like pure magic in a yellow rubber gadget!"
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #6 - 08/21/08 at 20:47:07

After my initial flush of anger, I thought about it from their perspective..and cooled right down.  Since they were estimating having to store the bike for about a week during the break down, then send out to machine shop, then the top end rebuild..a lot of time taking up relatively rare space in the shop.  Especially at the beginning of riding season when so many tune ups, tire changes and bolt on neeed to be done (and where they make their money), yeah, I could see where they were coming from..but you are right, it led me to this Indian Repair Shop I didn't know existed..how neat is that. Smiley Smiley

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 08/21/08 at 21:03:01

sounds like a place left over for another time - enjoy it - not many left!

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #8 - 08/22/08 at 06:05:36

thumperclone wrote on 08/21/08 at 07:34:17:
$80...made from 3/4 brass bar stock, male threads to fit into front oil port,fm on other end for sending unit(different threads)also had them cut the corners of the bar to fit a box wrench..feel i got my $$ worth..

eGauge sells that for $6.49  (14-1.25 to 1/8" NPT)  I just got one for my oil pressure gauge.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #9 - 08/22/08 at 06:50:31

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 08/22/08 at 06:05:36:
thumperclone wrote on 08/21/08 at 07:34:17:

eGauge sells that for $6.49  (14-1.25 to 1/8" NPT)  I just got one for my oil pressure gauge.
metric gauge here Wink

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 05:21:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Machine Shop cost.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.