head removal (Read 198 times)
ed daugherty

"Leave the gun.
 Take the
cannoli."

Dallas, TX
head removal
08/18/08 at 18:45:27

can you take the head off with out taking the engine out of the frame?

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: head removal
Reply #1 - 08/18/08 at 18:50:57

Head cover yes........

The Head,  I've heard that if you remove ALL the mounting bolts and drop it lower into the frame you can contort it just right to clear the head bolts (they're long!!!).

I would take the engine out myself.   Overall, it's easier to work on it on a bench.  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #2 - 08/19/08 at 08:53:32

Actually you can do it by loosening the lower rear bolt and removing the upper rear one, lets it tip down enough for the head to clear the studs. At least it worked on my 96, this spring. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
ed daugherty

"Leave the gun.
 Take the
cannoli."

Dallas, TX
Reply #3 - 08/19/08 at 13:30:02

I have to replace the head gasket and i don't want to drop the engine because i have to disconnect everything.  but i know the bolts are pretty long so i don't want to fight it more than i have to.  

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #4 - 08/19/08 at 13:32:51

Remove top motor mount, the two mount bolts that go through the control plates, and the rear bottom mount. That leaves the rear mount in place so you can pivot the engine down and give you more clearance. I have done this a few times and it works very well.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
ed daugherty

"Leave the gun.
 Take the
cannoli."

Dallas, TX
Reply #5 - 08/19/08 at 13:35:12

do i have to take the timing chain off or can i just loosen the head bolts and slide the head off?  I have never changed the head gasket before on a 4 stroke and i don't know what all is involved.  i have a few times on a 2 stroke and it's very easy.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #6 - 08/19/08 at 13:36:36

Since the LS650 Savage/S40 is an overhead cam engine, yes, you will have to remove the cam and cam chain to remove the head.

IP Logged
ed daugherty

"Leave the gun.
 Take the
cannoli."

Dallas, TX
Reply #7 - 08/19/08 at 13:40:42

is that a pain to put it all back together?  do you need any special tools?  do you have to retime it?

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #8 - 08/19/08 at 13:47:59

If you are only doing the head....Chain can stay on engine..  You un-bolt the cam sprocket and pop it off.  Put a wire on the cahin so you can pull it back thru when you put the head back on.     Then put chain on sprocket then sprocket on cam.

Remember....timing marks are real important!!!

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #9 - 08/19/08 at 13:48:43

Sometimes, no, yes.

Sometimes, depending on how patient you are.

No, basic tools do the job.

When time to put back together, be sure piston is at TDC and place cam in the proper orientation and you will be timed. There are timing marks on the cam, it is a line that goes straight across the end of the shaft, place the cam with those line lined up with the top of the head. (I made the mistake of just having the cam lobes down and it ended up being 10 to 15 degrees retarded.)

You won't have to take the chain completely out of the engine, just remove it from the cam gear but be careful that you don't let it fall all the way down or it can get bound up in the primary gear down on the bottom. You will have to remove the right side engine cover to get to the chain tensioner. While you're in there you might as well measure it's extension before you remove the tensioner.

If I missed anything I am sure some one will chime in. (please someone chime in if I did, I don't want to booger up this man's engine by remote)

IP Logged
ed daugherty

"Leave the gun.
 Take the
cannoli."

Dallas, TX
Reply #10 - 08/19/08 at 14:05:47

thanks for all your help.  I think this will be a big task, being my first time,  sounds fun!  like an all day to 2 day project.  any suggestions about what else i need to check or maintenance duties while  i am in this thing?

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #11 - 08/19/08 at 14:10:53

Rotate your engine with head off and check the cylinder wall for gouges and inspect top of piston for chips or visible cracks. That's all I can think of for now, but I am sure there are other things you can/should take a look at.

Don't forget new side cover gasket just in case the old one gets destroyed while removing the cover. And new oil obviously.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #12 - 08/19/08 at 20:14:14

As noted above- sometimes yes, sometimes no..depends on your particular frame and the accepted building tolerences.  With the belt drive still comnnected, I was barely  able to remove the head thankfully (since all three stores I checked did not have a 32mm socket to remove the belt drive).  I did move the rear wheel as far forward as I could and used a car jack and block of wood to raise and lower the engine.  Good luck.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 08/19/08 at 20:56:41

Don't take the cylinder off unless you're going to replace the rings.

However, I would highly recommend getting the cylinder bore honed and given a silicone carbide surface treatment.  I think it was lancer that had his done.  And new rings.  I wouldn't want to have to tear the engine apart for rings later on in life since you've gone this far.

WWW   IP Logged
ed daugherty

"Leave the gun.
 Take the
cannoli."

Dallas, TX
Reply #14 - 08/20/08 at 14:15:21

NOT the CYLINDER!  just the head...the part containing the valves.  i know if you remove the cylinder you should replace the rings and get the cylinder honed. all i am talking about is the head only.  i don't have the money to get take the cylinder off...and there is no need really unless i find the piston is burned and the rings are bad.  but there is no smoke pouring out of the exhaust so i assume the rings are just fine.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/10/24 at 05:14:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › head removal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.