Send Topic Print
Car tire for the back (Read 1614 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Car tire for the back
Reply #30 - 08/19/08 at 12:57:02

Awwrite. I've been reading the responses. I am ready to step out on a limb here. I am willing to go so far as to say this. Gort wont be trying it. Apparently, there are some who, having done the homework & assesed the risks & ride variations sufficiently for at least one to make high speed passes thru mountains in a sure footed enough manner to not scare a man who admittedly is NOT physically able to tolerate any major impacts. This is waht the word Controversy entails, more than one side, neither with definitive information to say what simply must be. We are men. We do things. Some of them work, some work well, some not so well & some explode on liftoff. I plan on trying it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #31 - 08/19/08 at 13:01:22

And if I am understanding the instructions properly from the tech section, the only real mod was to do something about the fender mount bolts, so if it isn't to your liking, change it back.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #32 - 08/19/08 at 15:00:10

And actually, no mods at all are required if you avoid the ridiculously huge tire Oldfeller used!   Grin

No amount of expensive equipment or fancy engineering calculations can duplicate the real-world.  Simulation and approximation, and lab test conditions ARE NOT the real thing.

So what's better a radial tire or a bias ply tire?  M/Cs have both...

What gives better dry surface performance?  Which is better on wet surfaces?  Which is better on dirt?  How big a factor does tread pattern play?  Rubber compound?

Have I stirred the pot enough here?   Grin

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #33 - 08/19/08 at 15:13:40

Oh you said avoid ridicoulsly large tire. Grin

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #34 - 08/19/08 at 16:47:37

Denim, is this your bike and if so, how does it ride differently than with the stock tire?  This is a great opportunity to learn about handling, braking and softness or hardness in ride, using a very extreme sized tire.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #35 - 08/19/08 at 16:57:32

DO NOT PUT A CAR TIRE ON A BIKE RIM.  IT IS TOO DANGEROUS.

============================================

barry68v10 PUT A TA 155/80r15 ON THE BACK OF HIS BIKE, DROVE IT A COUPLE OF MILES TO A SERVICE STATION AND BLEW IT UP (that's exploded it for you who haven't heard yet) AT 175 PSI TRYING TO GET THE BEAD TO SEAT.  HE HAD SPRAYED TRUCK BED LINER ON HIS SPOKES TO SEAL THEM AND GOT SOME ON THE BEAD AREA.

HE DID DAMAGE TO HIS HEARING AND SHREDDED HIS SEAT BAGS.

DO NOT TRY THIS MOD.

IT IS FORMALLY UNAPPROVED FOR LIST MEMBERS TO DO.

I FORMALLY RECANT THIS MOD AS IT IS TOO DANGEROUS TO YOU AND YOUR EARS AND YOUR HANDS AND YOUR EYES (AND TO YOUR SEAT BAGS).

(signed)

Oldfeller

====================

Now that's a tire !!  Proud of you, my boy -- show us the way.

Oldfeller

(shame it's a harley with almost bare handlebars  .... would look good as a Savage)

Barry, mods & more mods are required on a sliding scale depending on how big you go -- it was Phelonius who said no mods were needed if you went with 135/80-15 to which I replied "watch out for the 135s that are simply a shorter tread width layed on a 145 body -- you will still have to do the left side bolt mods".  

We have folks having to do left side bolt head mods simply to put on bigger motorcycle tires -- I think some sort of mod will be required for all car tires, personally.  Folks find out about shock compression and lateral movement under stress when the bolt heads show up eating up their tires.  

Point being if you have to mod, mod it all the way then slug in a 155-80r15 and get something for your effort.

« Last Edit: 09/08/08 at 18:29:46 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #36 - 08/19/08 at 17:42:37

Don't worry Oldfeller!  I've got my sights on a 155/80-15 Comp T/A.  I've taken measurements, and with my chain mod and 12.5" shocks, those tires will slide in there nicely with no other mods necessary!   Grin

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #37 - 08/19/08 at 17:54:00

No,wish it was mine.That is one of Roger Bourgett's bikes.He was one of the originators of the fat tire craze.He was putting Viper tires on bikes in the mid 90s.I saw him in Daytona a few years ago draggin' pegs with one.I'm not a big fan of the huge tires out there now,even designed for a bike once you start getting over a 200mm it starts to track unevenly with the front tire.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #38 - 08/19/08 at 20:03:17

Gort, they can tell you all they want, but if you truly want to understand what bump steer really means and what rumba really feels like, there is only one way for you to really really know.

You gotta take a little walk on the wild side  ....

Cool

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #39 - 08/19/08 at 20:36:02

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/19/08 at 20:03:17:
Gort, they can tell you all they want, but if you truly want to understand what bump steer really means and what rumba really feels like, there is only one way for you to really really know.

You gotta take a little walk on the wild side  ....

Cool

Lemme tell you somethin.....many moons ago, Gort (Art) the wise assed trouble maker used to stand on the seat of his old beat to hell filthy '52 Harley while riding everyday on the street with no license plates, registration or drivers license.  This smart ass wore a steel WW1 German helmet, which if he had hit his head on the ground would have crushed his skull.  He obeyed only the traffic laws that he felt like, road on bald tires, and cursed any cager who gave him a disgusted look.  He survived somehow and never had a spill.

I look back on those days and wonder how I made it.  And I worry for the young fellows today who also throw caution aside.

Don't believe me?  Heres 1 of 3 pics of me on the way to my high school graduation. I wore the graduation gown while I drove to the ceremony, and the bike threw oil and grease all over it.  I refused to allow any traditional H.S. pics to be taken of me.  My old man, God bless his soul, never forgave me over that.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #40 - 08/19/08 at 21:32:44

Gort the younger was a wild child, now he is older and wiser and has his regrets.

Ah, don't we all -- them regrets, that is.  

All old men still feel the same inside as they were in their twenties, just stuck inside much older bodies.   We make lots of stupid mistakes along the way (none of which were fatal,  for us anyway).

Them that are younger are still due a few mistakes, so let them have their fun (and let them have their funky tires and their strange bikes).

Us that are older will make up some even stranger strange things that allow us to carry on in as much as we can, anyway.

It's called life, you just keep on doing it as long as you can having as much fun as you can in between the regrettable parts.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #41 - 08/19/08 at 21:43:43

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/19/08 at 21:32:44:
Gort the younger was a wild child, now he is older and wiser and has his regrets.

Ah, don't we all -- them regrets, that is.  

All old men still feel the same inside as they were in their twenties, just stuck inside much older bodies.   We make lots of stupid mistakes along the way (none of which were fatal,  for us anyway).

Them that are younger are still due a few mistakes, so let them have their fun (and let them have their funky tires and their strange bikes).

Us that are older will make up some even stranger strange things that allow us to carry on in as much as we can, anyway.

It's called life, you just keep on doing it as long as you can having as much fun as you can in between the regrettable parts.

Yeah Oldfeller, I guess your right.

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #42 - 08/19/08 at 22:20:00

Well, I guess I'm not sorry I started this topic up again after all.

Since I've already gone to the 11 1/2" (or 12 1/2" I don't remember) Harley shocks and am running them on the middle setting I don't think I'll have vertical clearance problems.

Sounds like I should probably go with around a 145/80 or 145/90 radial with a big 15" bike radial tube in it. Then go with the softest road gripping rubber and the roundest tread face edges.

As for tread face design I'm wondering if the standard blocky car type pattern, or the "V" cut sort of look I've seen on some would be better for tracking down the road; in water, sand or gravel. I take this bike everywhere there's something I want to see. Any thoughts on that point?

Jack

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #43 - 08/20/08 at 03:39:22

Jack, I've got 2 cents for ya...

A block-type tread pattern will work best on sand/gravel...
a v-groove pattern will work best if riding thru rain (makes me shutter a little, I hate riding in rain.)
Actually, slicks work best on clean/dry pavement so I don't think it will matter that much which of the above you choose for that...even my "snot-slick" stock IRC works good enough for that  Grin

BTW, I'm not completely disgusted with the stock tire, but even on dry pavement when rolling on the throttle coming out of turns, the back end likes to drift just a little, and stay off the white and yellow painted lines for goodness sake  Wink

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #44 - 08/20/08 at 06:09:31

DO NOT PUT A CAR TIRE ON A BIKE RIM.  IT IS TOO DANGEROUS.

============================================

barry68v10 PUT A TA 155/80r15 ON THE BACK OF HIS BIKE, DROVE IT A COUPLE OF MILES TO A SERVICE STATION AND BLEW IT UP (that's exploded it for you who haven't heard yet) AT 175 PSI TRYING TO GET THE BEAD TO SEAT.  HE HAD SPRAYED TRUCK BED LINER ON HIS SPOKES TO SEAL THEM AND GOT SOME ON THE BEAD AREA.

HE DID DAMAGE TO HIS HEARING AND SHREDDED HIS SEAT BAGS.

DO NOT TRY THIS MOD.

IT IS FORMALLY UNAPPROVED FOR LIST MEMBERS TO DO.

I FORMALLY RECANT THIS MOD AS IT IS TOO DANGEROUS TO YOU AND YOUR EARS AND YOUR HANDS AND YOUR EYES (AND TO YOUR SEAT BAGS).

(signed)

Oldfeller

============================

Tire Rack is the best place to do tire research concerning rain grip or whatever other characteristic you are looking for.  Tire Rack will also show you ALL the tires available in the size you are looking for.

Remember, USA DOT has very restrictive high temperature high load at high speed tests that tires MUST PASS to be sold in the USA -- not all tires you see on the internet can be sold in the USA because they won't pass DOT 139.
(a very durn restrictive test, BTW)

Tire Rack is where I go to look at tires -- then I try to find a way to avoid their shipping charges if at all possible.  They are not always the cheapest place either.  And if you do try to buy something there you had better know durn well what car that tire comes stock on or you get an electronic "No way, Jose" from them as they are very careful not to sell an "inappropriate tire".

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Radial+...

The BF Goodrich TA 155-80r15 gets excellent marks for rain grip, hell, it gets excellent marks for everything except for the good marks for snow and ice.  It got excellent for hydroplaning resistance and mileage (wear) which you very rarely ever see together.  People slam tires real bad in those reviews generally, so the good to excellent reviews this tire got are "outstanding" compared for what people generally give a tire.

Poke around the site a bit -- it is an excellent resource for hunting up a strange tire.  Look up your existing tires you got on your car right now and see what sort of crap you really have according to the reviews.

Spending time on Tire Rack can change your tire buying habits ...

« Last Edit: 09/08/08 at 18:30:29 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 15:30:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Car tire for the back

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.